3-d ish

GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Thought I would throw a video on here for fun. I tried to make a 3-D ish game last year. Never could get the jumping right and I think I finally gave up on it.....spent forever on the jumping... ..... Might use the assets I made for it on something else some day.

Have a good weekend.

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@gattoman said:
    Thought I would throw a video on here for fun. I tried to make a 3-D ish game last year. Never could get the jumping right and I think I finally gave up on it.....spent forever on the jumping... ..... Might use the assets I made for it on something else some day.

Have a good weekend.

Maybe you might have more luck now that we have custom collisions?

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Maybe you might have more luck now that we have custom collisions?

You may be right. They came too late for this game. I should take a few minutes and watch some custom collision tutorials.... I had never had the need for them before....

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

Hahahaha @gattoman I didn't say it sucked! Actually I am quite impressed with how good it looks right now. If you want over the summer we can have a look at it together try and make it a full game?

Glad to know all is well... Although that dig dug game probably wasn't your best move haha.

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited April 2016

I want go see you to narrate every game you play and talk super earnestly about how it relates to your life. That was great.

@zweg25 said:
    Hahahaha @gattoman I didn't say it sucked! Actually I am quite impressed with how good it looks right now. If you want over the summer we can have a look at it together try and make it a full game?

Glad to know all is well... Although that dig dug game probably wasn't your best move haha

Im sure you were much more tactful as you always are. I liked the quick jump in general but to get that to look the same in four directions was painful. Every adjustment made it looked worse.......It was just funny that something I tried so hard to achieve then you pointed out it was the downfall of the game. Quite amusing.

I wasn't sure about copyright problems or if Apple would even publish anyways.

Actually those old arcade games are harder to find and more expensive. They were an investment to collect them.

Luckily I then married and my wife informed me I no longer deeply loved those cabinet arcade games and I needed to sell them.

My basement aches for those flashes and beeps.......

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@gattoman I think your game looks great. The 3D effect and graphics are neat. I bet lots of people wouldn't be distracted by the way the character jumps, they'd just think it was an intentional quirk of the character that you created.

"War Stars" amused me. Did you make it with BoxBuild? :D

Haha. Sorry I missed your box build joke.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Looks good to me !

@gattoman said:
    I liked the quick jump in general but to get that to look the same in four directions was painful.

For an arc in an isometric view you just need - (e.g. if the object is going down/left) - the object to trace out a path from 30° to 180° along a horizontally squashed ellipse. Once you've got that locked down getting it to work in all four directions is simply a case of swapping the numbers around (i.e. move x pixels left instead of right).

Excuse my messy drawing !

@Socks said:
    Looks good to me !

@gattoman said:
    I liked the quick jump in general but to get that to look the same in four directions was painful.

For an arc in an isometric view you just need - (e.g. if the object is going down/left) - the object to trace out a path from 30° to 180° along a horizontally squashed ellipse.

Great socks. I still do a lot of hand drawings when I try to sort these things out. I totally get the geometry.

Sometimes I stumble on getting funky to work with math on a unmarked grid.

@gattoman said:
    Great socks. I still do a lot of hand drawings when I try to sort these things out. I totally get the geometry.

Actually I think I'm a little off, the starting angle can't be 30°, it must be slightly higher . . . I'll work it out . . . I'll be back . . . .

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

We have a free Q Bert demo in our free bundle if it helps over at deepblueapps

edited April 2016

@Socks said:
    Looks good to me !

@gattoman said:

For an arc in an isometric view you just need - (e.g. if the object is going down/left) - the object to trace out a path from 30° to 180° along a horizontally squashed ellipse. Once you've got that locked down getting it to work in all four directions is simply a case of swapping the numbers around (i.e. move x pixels left instead of right).

Excuse my messy drawing !

Here's how you'd trace out an arc in an isometric (1:1.72) view, give your player 3 new 'real' attributes. A, Tx and Ty.

Rule - whatever you are using to trigger the jump:
    --Change A to 32.202
    --Change Tx to self X - 60 *cos(32.202)
    --Change Ty to self Y - 120 *sin(32.202)
    --Interpolate A to 180
    --Constrain self X to 60 *cos(A)+Tx
    --Constrain self Y to 120 *sin(A)+Ty

To change the size of the jump you just alter cos and sin multipliers (both 60s and both 120s - they need to keep the same 1:2 ratio).

Thanks. I will try that!! Maybe make another video and show you.

We have a free Q Bert demo in our free bundle

Thanks. I should look at that. Another great classic game!