FallFu

NklrcadeNklrcade Member, PRO Posts: 95

How close to the original are we allowed to copy in order to create our own games?

I bought FallFu a couple years ago and started building my own variation of the game. I'm using my own graphics and level design of course, but basic gameplay is still the same - rotate screen to destroy enemies. One difference is that you can bounce off enemy after enemy for bonus multipliers.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Posts: 9,271
    Accepted Answer

@Nklrcade said:
    How close to the original are we allowed to copy in order to create our own games?

I bought FallFu a couple years ago and started building my own variation of the game. I'm using my own graphics and level design of course, but basic gameplay is still the same - rotate screen to destroy enemies. One difference is that you can bounce off enemy after enemy for bonus multipliers.

Thanks.

You can use the same mechanic in your game. While it's always a good idea to put your own spin on the template, it's not required.

Answers

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

There are actually many different answers to this question.

Generally, if you purchase a template from third-party vendors, you are required to replace the graphics and sounds but the game mechanics may remain the same.

Ethically, you might choose to change more than just the graphics and sounds to both make it "your own" and to respect the game designers who spent so much time figuring out how to make the version you purchased.

Apple doesn't seem to care one way or another but there's always the chance of being pressured or sued by large game development companies if you keep everything the same (that would likely include graphics and a similar game title).

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@tatiang said:
    Ethically, you might choose to change more than just the graphics and sounds to both make it "your own" and to respect the game designers who spent so much time figuring out how to make the version you purchased.

+1