'Local Area Network' Gameplay/ Multi-device gameplay

fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

Hi Folks, I know we can have network play to allow people to play each other from anywhere but it is possible to basically create a local network such as through wifi or Bluetooth to only allow those in a particular space? If not, how would you create 'rooms' over the network to invite players?
I ask because I have a game which allows four players. Currently all play, since it is turn based, on one device. The nature of game requires physical presence rather than online play apart (considering a form of the game that allows this though). So I was thinking of a LAN or rooms to allow people to play on multiple devices and just make the overall experience smoother.

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

We need to request gamesalad make their playstogether network, which is already in Mac creator active again. People need to show they want this as the next feature and it won't be a ton of work as it is already in creator Mac and works and is essentially bug free.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

Just so I am clear network play is still available and what I am suggesting used to be available as plays together network but that got suspended? Any idea why? I suppose network play doesn't allow people to play simultaneously even apart? (I'm now a little lost here regarding the capabilities of network play and if there are any differences to the playstogether network)

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    We need to request gamesalad make their playstogether network, which is already in Mac creator active again. People need to show they want this as the next feature and it won't be a ton of work as it is already in creator Mac and works and is essentially bug free.

@fmakawa said:
    Just so I am clear network play is still available and what I am suggesting used to be available as plays together network but that got suspended? Any idea why? I suppose network play doesn't allow people to play simultaneously even apart? (I'm now a little lost here regarding the capabilities of network play and if there are any differences to the playstogether network)

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

Playstogether, which is a company that has an SDK that does asynchronous multiplayer, was bought by Gamesalad almost about two years ago. It was implemented in the old nightly build system for testing. Gamesalad went through a leadership change and the focus, rightly so, shifted to creator performance and stability focus. It was for a short time introduced into a regular build. Once the focus shifted, it was visably removed from Mac creator but the system is still in there.

and synchronous play? Could you make a Street Fighter clone for example with network play at the moment? And do a feature request?

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    Playstogether, which is a company that has an SDK that does asynchronous multiplayer, was bought by Gamesalad almost about two years ago. It was implemented in the old nightly build system for testing. Gamesalad went through a leadership change and the focus, rightly so, shifted to creator performance and stability focus. It was for a short time introduced into a regular build. Once the focus shifted, it was visably removed from Mac creator but the system is still in there.

@fmakawa said:
    and synchronous play? Could you make a Street Fighter clone for example with network play at the moment? And do a feature request?

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

No. Synchronous play is a whole different thing and would be a ways off.

@Lost_Oasis_Games Gotcha! thanks! Will post something/feature request playstogether. thanks again!