Character animation with multiple actors

I've decided to go with multiple actors instead of solid animations for my character. The actors will be both legs, body, arm, and head. I tried this with my trial version of GameSalad and couldn't seem to get it. I constrained all of the actors together, but after that, i couldn't get the individual actors to move how I wanted them to. The actor will only be moving left and right, so a side view is all I would need achieved. Has anyone done this in the past, or know how? Thanks

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@swanyboy said:
    The actor will only be moving left and right, so a side view is all I would need achieved. Has anyone done this in the past, or know how? Thanks

You've not actually said what it is your are trying to do, a walk cycle would be my best guess ?

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

I really dont recommend this you will have many code that you can avoid with simple animation, specially with movement

Here just to get an idea of what youll end up doing , use animation much better , it will get complicated

@Icebox said:
    I really dont recommend this you will have many code that you can avoid with simple animation, specially with movement

Agreed.

@Icebox said:
    Here just to get an idea of what youll end up doing , use animation much better , it will get complicated

That's your best GIF yet, don't let Disney get their hands on that ! ;)

(nice 'breathing' by the way).

• swanyboyswanyboy Member Posts: 38

@Icebox That is in a way how I want it. The two legs will need to be cycling, and there will only be one arm in the middle because it is a side view of the character. I've decided not to use animation because of how many different animations I will need. I'm gonna need one for every object I have my character holding.

btw. How did you make that gif?

edited May 2016

I bet theyll pull a full feature out of this gif :)

I attached the demo but again youll need to play with numbers and its not anywhere near perfect . I know we always tend to look for the easier ways and you might think its easy but trust me when you get to the point where you want to jump ,cycle walk, stand idle, interpolate between those so that it looks smooth , move hands force them to go idle again you will hate gs :) if this is a project your making then do it the best way possible start animating or look for an artist that can help.

• sometimes you will have a drop in performance specially withh old devices and it might affect it by delaying the constrains while the actor is in motion

@Icebox Okay thanks. Ill see what I can do. You're right about performance issues, I didn't think about that. I only have to deal with walking and idle, so i may be fine.