What happened to the free tier?

devospicedevospice Member, BASIC Posts: 16

I discovered GameSalad in 2013 when my son came up with a game idea and I wanted to make it. I've been working on the game in my spare time ever since and, in fact, am almost done. Just a few more levels to build, some sound effects to add, and we're done.

Just now I was working on it, and mid project I got an alert saying my free trial is up and I would have to pay to develop the game. Is this new? One of the reasons I went with GameSalad was because it was free (I knew they had paid tiers but probably wouldn't need them) and I didn't know if I would ever finish this game.

I've been working on this project for three years. THREE YEARS. And I've never been asked to pay. Why now? What kind of software has a 3 year trial period?

Comments

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

It's a relatively new thing. They changed their business model to get more paying subscribers. The free trial gives people a chance to try the software. In the past people were able to use the software indefinitely without paying which isn't great for profits.

If you're that close to finishing then you might want to consider buying a monthly subscription for a month, finishing then cancelling the subscription. It'll only cost you $19 which is an absolute bargain for a piece of software you've been using for three years.

• devospicedevospice Member, BASIC Posts: 16

I don't have a problem paying for the software. I understand their need to charge. A little warning would have been nice, though. Maybe an email explaining when the change was going to take effect or something.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@devospice said:
    I don't have a problem paying for the software. I understand their need to charge. A little warning would have been nice, though. Maybe an email explaining when the change was going to take effect or something.

I don't know that an email went out about the change in pricing model but the forums were certainly full of announcements and discussions.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User