Spawn Randomly

Hi.

So I want to make a game where there is an element to spawn powerups. I am using the position of the player to spawn the different powerups, but I want it to spawn randomly, like you don't even know what is going to spawn next. How do I do it? I appreciate your help. :)

Comments

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

I can't remember if the spawn behaviour allows attributes yet and don't have GS on this machine. If it does, you only need the first half of this. If it doesn't a quick and dirty way of doing it would be the following.

Let's say you have 10 powerups.

Create a new attribute called random_powerup.

Then change the attribute to random(1,10)

Then use this attribute to spawn your powerups. Create a series of rules that say:

if random_powerup = 1, spawn powerup1
    if random_powerup =2, spawn powerup2

etc

• yoaprzyoaprz Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2016

@imjustmike said:

Is the attribute a game attribute, scene attribute, or actor attribute? Thanks

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@yoaprz actor attribute

• yoaprzyoaprz Member Posts: 4

@Icebox said:
    @yoaprz actor attribute

@Icebox Thanks a lot!

@imjustmike said:
    I can't remember if the spawn behaviour allows attributes yet and don't have GS on this machine. If it does, you only need the first half of this. If it doesn't a quick and dirty way of doing it would be the following.

Let's say you have 10 powerups.

Then change the attribute to random(1,10)

Then use this attribute to spawn your powerups. Create a series of rules that say:

if random_powerup = 1, spawn powerup1
    if random_powerup =2, spawn powerup2

etc

@imjustmike So if I want the chances to appear be different for each powerup, i just make more numbers for a certain powerup? Thanks.

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

@yoaprz said:
    @imjustmike So if I want the chances to appear be different for each powerup, i just make more numbers for a certain powerup? Thanks.

That's an easy way of doing it, yeah. If you want powerup1 to be twice as common as powerup2 you could have a rule that says

if random_powerup = 1 or 2, spawn powerup1
    if random_powerup =3, spawn powerup2