Do you think "SpawnPoint Studios" or just "SpawnPoint" is a good name?

Do you think this is a good name for a mobile game development company? Just want opinions

Comments

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

I like it.

Not sure you need the studios to be honest. I've also found it slightly amusing looking at all the indies, mostly one guy operations, calling themselves studios.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@imjustmike then again you start alone and then you get a crew? but yes,its funny.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,052

How about Spawn Point Campers. That would get some attention :)

• dylanbell9398dylanbell9398 Member Posts: 16

@imjustmike thanks man! Yeah you're right! I see it alot thats why i thought of doing it to. Gotta admit it sounds cooler tho lol

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited June 2016

@adent42 said:
    How about Spawn Point Campers. That would get some attention :)

Or CampSpawners™

:p

@imjustmike said:
    Not sure you need the studios to be honest. I've also found it slightly amusing looking at all the indies, mostly one guy operations, calling themselves studios.

Agreed, it's become a cliché, grab a name, stick 'studios' on the end and you sound 'pro' :wink:

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited June 2016

@Socks said:

@imjustmike said:

Agreed, it's become a cliché, grab a name, stick 'studios' on the end and you sound 'pro' :wink:

You don't know what your missing, not only do you sound pro, it also lets you feel like your superior to other indies.

You know Socks Studios has a nice ring to it :tongue:

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    You don't know what your missing, not only do you sound pro, it also lets you feel like your superior to other indies.

You know Socks Studios has a nice ring to it :tongue:

IndieProSocksStudios™

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

The second word "Studios" rolls better than just SpawnPoint to be honest but you could put another word in its place and it still works i.e. SpawnPoint Games.

@KevinCross I thought it made it sound better as well. Any other alternatives you can suggest?

@KevinCross My problem with just SpawnPoint is if someone is trying to find my website and they search spawnpoint id probably be buried under all kings of CoD and GTA stuff. But if they search SpawnPoint Studios or another word to replace it id be higher in search results

Worth bearing in mind that SpawnPoint Studios was an unsuccessful studio set up by Microsoft back in the day:
    http://www.gamespot.com/forums/xbox-association-1000003/what-ever-happened-to-spawnpoint-studios-29297697/

@imjustmike wow I never even heard of them. When I first thought of spawnPoint I even did a trademark search and found nothing

Also, going back to the "Studios" thing, Imangi Studios was just a husband and wife team when they made Temple Run

There are plenty of companies with studios in their name. Just feels a bit cliched is all, especially for indies. Like back in the 90s when everyone had soft in their name. Or a few years ago when everyone had a domain name with .ly or these days where everyone gets a .io

You get one chance to name your company*, name it whatever YOU want :)

*obviously not true, you can change, but it's faff.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2016

SpawnPoint Studios
    SpawnPoint Games
    SpawnPoint Gaming
    SpawnPoint Interactive
    SpawnPoint Entertainment
    SpawnPoint Machine
    SpawnPoint Apps
    SpawnPoint Labs
    SpawnPoint Squad
    SpawnPoint Software
    SpawnPoint Inc.
    SpawnPoint Dreams

Google a list of already existing development companies to see what words they have at the end of their company names.

I'm not saying that all of those sound good.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Spawnpoint Studios or Spawnpoint Squad are my favorites. I wouldn't worry about studio names too much though.

Just make sure it's a memorable name and even more so, make sure you have a memorable game since ultimately that is what matters most.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2016

@dylanbell9398 Just "Spawn Point Studio" (singular) is not too pretentious but adds an air of professionality.

Perception of your self and business (entity), by your market and associates can be very important. Our home is purpose built with the whole front room of 75 sq metres as our "studio".

Because we refer to our premises as a studio clients accept the idea instead of thinking, "They just work from a home office." Friends and family accept the idea that we work from a studio and are less inclined to interrupt us during business hours too.

However, our business incorporates photography, video production, graphic design and website development, which are all conducive to the concept of a studio. But "studio" as part of your business or company name can still work well for an individual app developer.

You need to decide what fits you best and how you portray it. Would you prefer to be know as a solo indie app developer (like an artist) or have the app industry and those in your social media circles think of you as a business?

Remember you are working in a virtual world so you can be anything you choose to be. :)

@AlchimiaStudios @imjustmike @KevinCross @Socks Thanks again for the help. I think I've decided on "SpawnPoint Development"/"SpawnPoint Dev"

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

My only suggestion is if you are going to use your name as a URL and/or Email address consider making it short. It may sound like a small thing, but long URL's and address can be a real pain in the butt.