PPI - does it matter? Please help.

Hi all,

So I'm working on my first game and so far everything is going ok. I just has a major crash, and all my photos/sounds were deleted, and had to individually put them all back. No biggie, all fixed.

My question relates to PPI. Does it need to be 72 as I have read in some places but not in others? I'm confused about this. Or does it not matter at all?

I've read that all images should be divisible by 4 and that's not a problem at all, I've done all that, but as for the PPI I don't know if I should be concerned. Or would the problem be having an image that is too large (eg 20mb)? Not that I do, it's just a theoretical question. Some of my images are pretty large though. Could file size of the photo then be an issue?

If anybody could possibly help in this department that would be awesome. What I really need to know is if I should start designing my images again on a smaller scale.

T

Comments

• UncloudedStudioUncloudedStudio NetherlandsMember Posts: 285
    edited August 2016

@originalrealtonytones an image of 20 mb is very large. If you use photoshop for editing your images just use "save for web" and select .png, it will save the image with 72 ppi.

Higher ppi is only relevant if you want to print your images

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@UncloudedStudio said:
    @originalrealtonytones an image of 20 mb is very large. If you use photoshop for editing your images just use "save for web" and select .png, it will save the image with 72 ppi.

You can simply hit Save, GameSalad will happily take Photoshop (.psd) files.

edited August 2016

You can simply hit Save, GameSalad will happily take Photoshop (.psd) files.

@socks that doesn't seem like a good idea regarding to file size.

e.g. I have an .psd file that's 236.5MB and when I export for web It's 3MB, major difference.

Is GS converting/downsizing it automatically when you import a .psd?

edited August 2016

@originalrealtonytones said:
    My question relates to PPI. Does it need to be 72 as I have read in some places but not in others? I'm confused about this. Or does it not matter at all?

It doesn't really matter, labelling your image 72ppi (or 2ppi or 20,000ppi) has no effect on the actual image, it's simply a piece of metadata that tells the receiving software what size to display the image.

With GameSalad making your image 72ppi does just that - so for example (with RI checked) if you have a 400 x 400 px image, set at 72ppi, and you drag this into the Actors panel, GS will make a 200 x 200 px actor.

But . . . if you already know you want a 200 x 200 px actor then the ppi of the image doesn't really matter, the image could be 10ppi or 5,000ppi (or even 1187.381ppi), it doesn't really matter once the image is 400 x 400 pixels.

But, having said that, it's probably good practice if you are new to GameSalad, if only simply to avoid confusion.

I've read that all images should be divisible by 4 . . .

It's a recommendation for optimal image fidelity for static images on a Retina device, for a lot of game elements (moving characters, spinning asteroids, bouncing balls, flapping birds . . . ) it's not really an issue.

In fact I'd say the situations were making images divisible by 4 is beneficial is fairly limited.

But, similarly to the 72ppi recommendation, it's probably good practice to make your images divisible by 4 if you are new to GameSalad, if only to avoid confusion.

Or would the problem be having an image that is too large (eg 20mb)?

I don't think you could generate a 20mb image file, the largest file size GS will accept is 2048 x 2048 pixels, uncompressed this comes to something like 12-13mb.

Not that I do, it's just a theoretical question. Some of my images are pretty large though. Could file size of the photo then be an issue?

Yes, image size will impact performance.

• originalrealtonytonesoriginalrealtonytones Member, PRO Posts: 12

Thanks guys. You've both been very helpful.

edited August 2016

//

edited August 2016

@UncloudedStudio said:
    @socks that doesn't seem like a good idea regarding to file size.

e.g. I have an .psd file that's 236.5MB and when I export for web It's 3MB, major difference.

If you can show me a GS file where you've managed to load in a 236.5MB .psd file then I'll buy you a banana and stick it in the post :p :)

Here's a very quick test . . .

The top result (from iOS viewer) is 8 x 2048 x 2048 pixel images - saved using Save For Web as 24bit PNGs . . . all eight images came to 11.9MB.

The memory usage was 32MB.

The lower result is the same 8 x 2048 x 2048 pixel images - saved using Save As - as 24bit PNGs . . . all eight images came to 100.8MB.

The memory usage was also 32MB.

@Socks

Waiting for the banana

edited August 2016

@UncloudedStudio said:
    Waiting for the banana

Lol ! :smiley:

You've shown me a 236MB psd file on your desktop, you only get your banana if you manage to load a 236.5MB file into GameSalad !

I think my banana stash is safe for now :)

edited August 2016

@Socks
    Ah I see, 256mb GS file!
    My understanding was that you could not import a 235MB psd file into GS creator

So you can keep your banana :p

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Socks said:

If you can show me a GS file where you've managed to load in a 236.5MB .psd file then I'll buy you a banana and stick it in the post :p :)

Don't you know it's against US postal regulations to send bananas in the mail? I know because my 5 year old nephew tried it. :D

edited August 2016

@UncloudedStudio said:
    @Socks
    Ah I see, 256mb GS file!

If you cannot import a 235MB file into GameSalad why would you then worry about something like this . . .

"that doesn't seem like a good idea regarding to file size. e.g. I have an .psd file that's 236.5MB and when I export for web It's 3MB, major difference."

#BananaStillSafe

@PhilipCC said:
    Don't you know it's against US postal regulations to send bananas in the mail? I know because my 5 year old nephew tried it. :D

It's ok, I know how America works, I'd disguise it as a gun :D

@Socks said:

@UncloudedStudio said:
    @Socks
    Ah I see, 256mb GS file!

If you cannot import a 235MB file into GameSalad why would you then worry about something like this . . .

"that doesn't seem like a good idea regarding to file size. e.g. I have an .psd file that's 236.5MB and when I export for web It's 3MB, major difference."

#BananaStillSafe

But you can import a file of 235mb

You guys are hilarious!

Meanwhile I have another question... In the game that I'm making, I have a character that moves backwards and forwards using buttons on the screen etc. I have a button for jumping as well. All that works fine.

Is it possible to use the accelerometer for left/right movement while still having my character able to jump? I tried to find an answer on the forum but couldn't, therefore 'm assuming it can't be done. Am I correct?

Meanwhile sorry if they sound like stupid questions. I've only been using GS for just over a week.

OMG I just figured it out. Woohoo!!!

Sadly now my pause function doesn't work. It's so very weird. Oh well, who needs a pause button. LOL

edited August 2016

@UncloudedStudio said:

But you can import a file of 235mb

You really can't ! Honestly !

The largest file GameSalad will accept is 2048 x 2048 pixels, which will never be more than ~13MB.

edited August 2016

@socks

The largest file GameSalad will accept is 2048 x 2048 pixels, which will never be more than ~13MB.

That's not correct because I have a file with a canvas size of 2048x1536 and it's file size is 236,5MB, it's possible

The video I posted shows that I import a .psd file of 236.5 MB with a canvas size of 2048x1536 into GameSalad without any problems.

Give me my banana

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sFukyIIM1XI

@UncloudedStudio said:
    That's not correct because I have a file with a canvas size of 2048x1536 and it's file size is 236,5MB.

Like I say, show me a GameSalad file that has managed to import a 236MB file and the banana is yours (postage included), the banana is brand new, unused, with original paintwork, I will include all the relevant documentation too.

@UncloudedStudio said:
    The video I posted shows that I import a .psd file of 236.5 MB with a canvas size of 2048x1536 into GameSalad without any problems.

The video shows a 236MB file on your desktop, once imported check out the Images folder in the GameSalad file (show package contents) and tell me you've imported a 236MB file into GameSalad*

*you haven't :p

Give me my banana

I think this one might go to court.

@Socks

Okay okay, you are right.