Help with Doodle Jump

ArticulatorArticulator Member, PRO Posts: 9

I have a couple of Year 9 students working on a Doodle Jump type game. We have mastered quite a few of the things to make the game. They can jump, bounce, move, spawn actors. We have been trying to dissect a template created by Toast Kitten. I am having trouble though trying to work out the platform movement. I sort of get that the platforms are sent to the top when hitting the resetter. I am a bit stuck on the attributes Doodle speed. Are there any simpler ways of doing this. We have tried to respawn actors at the top of the scene, when we hit the platforms they move off the screen. I have attached a copy of the project file that we have been trying to dissect. Any assistance would be appreciated. I have been searching the net for resources for quite a while now and have just run out of time with my classes.

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited August 2016

It looks like the Attribute DoodleSpeed is being used to both move the platforms down the screen and to calculate the players score. DoodleSpeed is being set in the Doodle actor within the Timer Behavior. There is a Change Attribute Behavior that is setting DoodleSpeed to the actors Linear Velocity.Y (how fast it's moving up the screen). This value is then used to move the platforms down the screen at the same time so it seems like the player is jumping through an endless set of platforms.

• ArticulatorArticulator Member, PRO Posts: 9

Thankyou Jamie, I might try and simplify it by getting the kids to spawn the platforms from above at random times and locations. One of the girls initially started to create her game that way as have a few other kids. They understand the spawning type thing a bit easier. With 15 kids doing about 6 different games my brain is just about fried trying to solve a myriad of problems which I never though existed.
    Cheers

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

The platforms in the sample you posted are moved to the top of the play area and placed randomly side to side once they hit the detector at the bottom, that way you're only every working with a set number of platforms. I'd stick with this technique as I think the results will probably more predictable for the players.

But of course the fun of learning can also be trying your own thing and seeing how it works out... :)