Breaking Down a Word into Individual letters for a table

Hi folks,
I got stuck on this. How do take a word and break it down into individual letters which I then place in individual cells in a table? As always, much appreciated

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@fmakawa have a look at the textLength and textSubStr functions. With these you can build a loop over the length of the word and put each letter in a table cell.

However, what are you trying to achieve? Will you be splitting the words into cells each time the game runs? Remember, you cannot export run-time changes to a table. (You can, in very round-about ways - sending to a server or building a CSV string and emailing it to yourself to later re-import into GS tables.)

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@Hopscotch said:
    @fmakawa have a look at the textLength and textSubStr functions. With these you can build a loop over the length of the word and put each letter in a table cell.

However, what are you trying to achieve? Will you be splitting the words into cells each time the game runs? Remember, you cannot export run-time changes to a table. (You can, in very round-about ways - sending to a server or building a CSV string and emailing it to yourself to later re-import into GS tables.)

What do you mean exactly when you say I cannot export run time changes to a table? I am trying to 2 things at once. I want the user to be able to create their own puzzles and add those to my tables for that specific user. So I can add a row but I thought I could save those changes permanently. Part of that puzzle construction requires me to breakdown those puzzles.

Additionally It automatically sends the raw puzzle to me via Appformative that way I can add those that I think are worth it to the global versions when I do updates.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited November 2016

@fmakawa I see, yes, that is fine then.

So users create the content, upload the levels to APPFormative.
    You then analyse them and the interesting ones you then make available to all users.

You would not need to make an app update to distribute the new levels though.

You could have another table that you maintain, containing a reference to user created levels, and distribute these live at any time via APPFormative.

That way your game is constantly filled with new content.