GameSalad Pinball Jam Rebooted!

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

Hello everyone, I'm reopening the Pinball Jam for a couple weeks to allow everyone who worked on pinball games, but slightly missed the deadline to get their entries in. Even if you didn't make a pinball game previously, get an entry in and you might end up with some extra moola in time for black Friday!

If you need some pinball art for your game, check out our PInball Crouton (art pack): http://learn.gamesalad.com/pinball-crouton/

The rules are simple:

• Your entry must incorporate some form of pinball game mechanic
  • Your entry must be created from scratch for this Game Jam (you may build upon any project you were making for the original game jam of course)
  • Your entry must be submitted before the Game Jam ends in two weeks (November 16th)

How do I enter the Game Jam?

Entering the Game Jam is easy! Simply:

1. Publish your project to the GameSalad Arcade with visibility set to public
  2. Once your project is published, click the "Pinball Jam Reboot" bubble at the bottom of the page:

What could I win?!

When the Game Jam is over, we'll narrow down the entries to what we believe are the best finalists, and then we'll open a poll on the forums here for the community to vote for the winners. The prizes are as follows:

1. First place will receive a $100 Amazon gift card
  2. Second place will receive a $50 Amazon gift card
  3. Third place will receive a $25 Amazon gift card

If you have any questions let me know, and best of luck!

Comments

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

Great idea.

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308

Open a poll for the community to vote?!? Can I make 100 accounts to vote my entry? It's better for you guys to deside the winner. That would be fair.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I have mine ready. Time to revisit it and submit!

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Clock said:
    Open a poll for the community to vote?!? Can I make 100 accounts to vote my entry? It's better for you guys to deside the winner. That would be fair.

I mean, you CAN make 100 accounts to vote for your entry if it's chosen as one of the top entries, but since we can see all the accounts that vote for each option in a poll, we can easily exclude the fake votes.

I can see if a user has multiple accounts as well, so if needed we could disqualify people that try to cheat. I have faith in the community here and don't expect any cheating to happen though :)

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308

@ForumNinja Thanks for the answer. I've been participated this kind of contest before. At the end it comes to who ever has more friends in the forum that person most likely will win despite of the quality. I hope this one is not the same as the one i participated. Good Luck All!

• RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272

1-Publish your project to the GameSalad Arcade

Why not just post a published Pinball game?
    it works for the game of the month.

@Riffel Publishing it to the arcade and selecting the Pinball Jam option puts all the entries in one place for us, which makes judging easier overall.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@ForumNinja said:
    @Riffel Publishing it to the arcade and selecting the Pinball Jam option puts all the entries in one place for us, which makes judging easier overall.

We'll see how many of the submitted games actually work with the current HTML5... it's pretty buggy.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

@MentalDonkeyGames said:
    We'll see how many of the submitted games actually work with the current HTML5... it's pretty buggy.

I threw together a super basic pinball project and it appears to work alright, so I would expect other peoples projects to work as well.

If some games look like they have broken functionality, we can always download the project files and play test them using preview.

• RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272

@ForumNinja said:

@MentalDonkeyGames said:

I threw together a super basic pinball project and it appears to work alright, so I would expect other peoples projects to work as well.

If some games look like they have broken functionality, we can always download the project files and play test them using preview.

Publishing my project at GameSalad Arcade turn it open source?

@Riffel It won't make your game open source to everyone, so no worries. just the GameSalad staff have the ability to download published games.

• iraqiraqiraqiraq iraq baghdad , muslimMember Posts: 89

great idea

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

When is the cutoff for entries - is it by midnight tonight, or am I already too late?

@rainwaterstudios It looks as though the cutoff was 12am today, though I'll still accept entries until the end of the day. The submission button is no longer there, but if you want to PM me and attach a copy of your project I'll make sure it gets in.

@The_Gamesalad_Guru @rainwaterstudios @Riffel

Just checked the entry list and it looked like nobody submitted anything o.0

The entry time has been extended through today, so be sure to publish your projects to the Arcade (set to public) and check the Pinball Jam Rebooted box at the bottom of the page to submit them!

If you'd rather send me a link to the publishing page for your game, that's acceptable too.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Looks like everyone flipped out! :grin:

@PhilipCC said:

haha

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@PhilipCC said:

....Get out of here. :D

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

@ForumNinja said:

The entry time has been extended through today, so be sure to publish your projects to the Arcade (set to public) and check the Pinball Jam Rebooted box at the bottom of the page to submit them!

If you'd rather send me a link to the publishing page for your game, that's acceptable too.

Yeah, I had too much on my schedule to be able to turn in a decent entry on time :( Next game jam though, I'm in for sure!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited November 2016

@ForumNinja said:

I don't think this is surprising, GameSalad's lack of engagement on the forum is slowly killing the forum off.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@Socks said:

@ForumNinja said:

I don't think this is surprising, GameSalad's lack of engagement on the forum is slowly killing the forum off.

Yep, they sometimes find time to respond to small things, just a touch here and there, or things that threaten to turn REALLY nasty (templates), but that's about it, from what I can see - I really, TRULY do not understand why they don't engage, it's making a VERY skittery user base... :frowning:

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Socks said:

@ForumNinja said:

Yes the forums are a ghost town. I am still working for clients but find the forums a waste of time nowadays.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

The couple of times I've needed them, the GS staff I've contacted were very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

When the staff has posted on the forums at times user responses are a bit harsh.

I can only assume they spend most of their time doing customer support??

Yes I love GS but the only reason I come back and pay cash is the support and relationships on the forums. I'm sure others feel the same way.

For me the forums are equal in monetary value as the code!

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611
    edited November 2016

For me yes the forums are key to game salad, and yes the only things I see on the forums are new users and names I don't recognise, I guess it's because we've past that newbie point! I check the forums every few days to see what's going one what cool games people are making, also to ask a few questions myself and answer some that I can, but believe me I've started using another game engine because the lack of GS presence has me worried I'll work on a game for a year and it will close! It's pretty expensive now to considering the competition! I've been working on a few games for almost a year now and constantly worried what's going on with GS and will I even be able to support my games post release a year later! Anyways I was going to enter this pinball jam but could find the time really.

I'm still paying and love GS for now though at least until my 2 games are finished

edited November 2016

@Toque said:
    Yes I love GS but the only reason I come back and pay cash is the support and relationships on the forums. I'm sure others feel the same way.

@jay2dx said:
    I'm still paying and love GS for now though at least until my 2 games are finished.

Hey, maybe we should be paying each other for the support and relationships? :D

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@PhilipCC said:

@Toque said:

Paid relations are illegal in my country.

I was trying to hold my tongue on this one, but I can't help myself any longer. :p

@Toque said:
    Paid relations are illegal in my country.

Maybe you should try down under? :D

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@ForumNinja ... you should probably just quietly delete or close this thread, and just forget it ever happened.

No point leaving it up here for a year again, like the previous pinball one.... doesn't look good.

@Chunkypixels I'm going through the previous thread and this one / messaging people who showed interest in submitting to see if people just missed the dates.

If there end up not being enough entries, then we'll end the contest.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

Hi @ForumNinja I'll get mine wrapped up this week and submit :) thanks for the message