I Made Something Cool in a Few Hours!

Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Hello all,

As the title said, I wanted to share something cool I just made. Its inspired by my very first game I played from the appstore called Train Express (Or something like that).

Some interesting things about it:

• The direction you "draw" is the direction the train will go. Therefore its strategic to work out which end to start at.
  • You can cross over tracks
  • You can draw one track, start another track, and then finish the first one.

I haven't made anything with GameSalad for a while and had some free time tonight. Quite Happy how it turned out. Thought I would share.
Thanks for viewing!

Best,
Two.E

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited February 2017

Love it ! :) Really nice, you should push this one onwards in my humble opinion.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@Socks I will do mine, if you finish yours! :)

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

Looks Great!

@Two.E said:
    @Socks I will do mine, if you finish yours! :)

Deal, meet back in this thread in October 2026.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Two.E This is neat and very cleaver. As @Socks said you could really turn this into something special. :)

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313
  • IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

This is great. You always have a unique style , Love it ! :)

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Pretty cool

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Always loved your ideas and the simplicity yet challenging gameplay. Fantastic job! Please publish this so I can play it!

edited February 2017

Thanks for the encouragement and support!

I tried adding in tile Trees/houses etc to make it look more better. Updated the rails and currently experimenting with changing the speeds of the trains being customisable.
    (For bigger Grids).
    Also considering adding in roads where cars travel on a two way road for bigger grids. Trying to make it into a tiny city type strategy game.
    Thats all for now until next free weekend.
    Best
    Two.E

Edit: Looks terrible but functional.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited February 2017

@Two.E my only worry is that with the different front/back wheel radii, your vehicles may not conform to the 2017 F1 downforce regulations.

Other than that, I am really keen to see where this is going. The style looks good and is open for lots of gameplay features. :) Keep it up!

edited February 2017

@Hopscotch I didn't even think it was something to consider when I first started. But 24 hours later, I have one full-Time Automotive Engineer, two designers and a very one-sided partnership with Tesla Motors. But I am thinking I can charge $0.99 for the game and cover back salary costs...
    Fingers crossed.

:)

edited February 2017

@Two.E said:
    Edit: Looks terrible but functional.

I realise this isn't the finished artwork/look, but one thing I think is an issue is that with the current spacing/design of the rail tracks it's easy for them to look like part of a cross hatched grid rather than a rail track, especially on tight turns or in areas where rails are close to each other.

Basically I can't help but see this . . . (below) . . . every time:

@Socks You out of everyone should know I am sensitive about my designs. I can't believe you would even suggest that something is wrong with it... /s

Good advice. I just can't see that so I wouldn't know to consider that when making the final designs in the future. I think its to do with everything about the track design being the same size and distance, it just looks like a grid, rather than a track. No defined path.

Will incude in next update next week!

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited February 2017

@Two.E said:
    @Socks You out of everyone should know I am sensitive about my designs. I can't believe you would even suggest that something is wrong with it... /s

I knew you'd be furious, then confused, remorseful and frightened, and then you'd fall into a deep and prolonged depression, eventually emerging emboldened by your experience and using this new found emotial vigour to justify breaking into your local zoo at night and running amok amongst the 'Land of the Spiders' exhibit, and in time befriending the leader of the spiders and convincing him to raise an army of warrior spiders with who you would overthrow the government and usher in a thousand year dictatorial rule based on people worshipping your grid based track design as a new god.

I knew I was taking a risk.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited February 2017

@Socks said:

@Two.E said:

I knew you'd be furious, then confused, remorseful and frightened, and then you'd fall into a deep and prolonged depression, eventually emerging emboldened by your experience and using this new found emotial vigour to justify breaking into your local zoo at night and running amok amongst the 'Land of the Spiders' exhibit, and in time befriending the leader of the spiders and convincing him to raise an army of warrior spiders with who you would overthrow the government and usher in a thousand year dictatorial rule based on people worshipping your grid based track design as a new god.

Dang, that's one long sentence. :P

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

Looks great.
    My 2 Cents suggestion would be to keep the graphics very simple.
    Maybe add isometric trees and buildings to the 2D tracks and roads.

Rivers?

Maybe like this :p

So much great feedback. The best feedback. ..

As for the art design, I am no artist but I do have a little skill. I will be aiming for this style (King Rabbit), but with more softer brighter colours and of course simpler. Its not isometrical like some suggested, but I feel it gives enough of artistic look, while keeping with the visible grid.
    Opinions?

@Icebox I never considered adding slight animations to the houses/trees etc. Makes the game come to life bit. :) Nice designs

@Socks I am little concern with your addiction with Spiders. But not enough to hold an intervention.

@Valin Great Idea. My only concern is that I go in adding different elements, than I will need to work with a new system instead of having different coloured tracks.

Thanks for the support @jamie_c

@Two.E If you can do it this way (King rabbit) + some slight animations, it would look really great.