Feedback on Logo?

Hey Everyone! I know the logo is arguably the most important thing about your game (other than the game itself :p) so any feedback, particularly the bad would be appreciated!

The idea of the game is simple: It is similar in style to 2048 where it utilizes soft pastel colors and nothing in the game have sharp corners, all nicely rounded. Not fancy graphics so I wanted to design a logo that would catch someones eye but it still conveys the look and feel of the game. Assume you were someone who knew nothing about the game, would the logo peak your interest to find out more?

Thanks!
-Brian

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited February 2017

It's hard to tell with it being displayed so massively with no context, why not present it at a more realistic size, perhaps even in context, for example composited into a page from the App Store ?

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Simple. I like it. A screen shot adhoc like socks said would help.

I wonder if ball was slightly off center would look like? Maybe right just a bit? That might look totally off but I would try it.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

If there is a ball involved in the game, as the logo would imply, then it does pique my interest. It does look a lot like a logo you displayed in Twitter, though.

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

I think you should extend your white trail a bit to bleed out of the shape. If you look closely, you can see it ends just shy of the top-left corner and it bends at the top edge of the icon.

• elementappdevelementappdev Member, PRO Posts: 55

@Socks said:
    It's hard to tell with it being displayed so massively with no context, why not present it at a more realistic size, perhaps even in context, for example composited into a page from the App Store ?

I was trying to do that, but any idea where I could get something like that? Would I just take a picture of the app store and paste a photo of my icon in there? Also, yeah im not sure why it came out so big, must have exported it bigger than I thought. In regards to the out of context, I didn't say anything about the game because I wanted to put you in a position as if you were someone just scrolling through the app store (and knew nothing about the game) and happened across the logo, would you want to find out more :)

@Toque said:
    Simple. I like it. A screen shot adhoc like socks said would help.

I wonder if ball was slightly off center would look like? Maybe right just a bit? That might look totally off but I would try it.

I will give it a shot and post it with an adhoc app store screenshot!

@mhedges said:
    If there is a ball involved in the game, as the logo would imply, then it does pique my interest. It does look a lot like a logo you displayed in Twitter, though.

yup! the character is a white ball like the one in the image. And yeah, very similar to the twitter one.

@Adrenaline said:
    I think you should extend your white trail a bit to bleed out of the shape. If you look closely, you can see it ends just shy of the top-left corner and it bends at the top edge of the icon.

you are right, thanks for noticing that! I was super tired last night and overlooked that. Thanks for pointing it out! Il also fade it out as it stretches to the corner

Thank you! I think it looks pretty good? I also made this

I would keep the ball in the center this time, though I did like the thought of moving it to the side. That's a good example of considering different ideas.

I'm undecided on whether or not you should fade the trail.

To be honest, I'm starting to see a finger now instead of a ball and trail. You know, those trendy, flat, creepy fingers people use to demonstrate screen-tapping in their app videos.

If you see that too, maybe just changing the background color to something less skin-like would do the trick.

@Adrenaline said:
    I would keep the ball in the center this time, though I did like the thought of moving it to the side. That's a good example of considering different ideas.

I'm undecided on whether or not you should fade the trail.

To be honest, I'm starting to see a finger now instead of a ball and trail. You know, those trendy, flat, creepy fingers people use to demonstrate screen-tapping in their app videos.

If you see that too, maybe just changing the background color to something less skin-like would do the trick.

now that you mention it... I see the finger too. I tried fading the opacity even more so its barely visible but idk if it makes it better/worse (3rd row, far left). Also, yeah I think I like it in the center as well

Hey! Your last example (bottom row) looks like a bounce. Was that intentional, or did you just move the trail by accident?

Either way, that might be the way to go. You'd also get to move the ball to the side (like @Toque ) suggested, it would add more movement/energy to the icon, and it would eliminate the 'finger' we're seeing.

@Adrenaline said:
    Hey! Your last example (bottom row) looks like a bounce. Was that intentional, or did you just move the trail by accident?

Either way, that might be the way to go. You'd also get to move the ball to the side (like @Toque ) suggested, it would add more movement/energy to the icon, and it would eliminate the 'finger' we're seeing.

anddd this is why I am not a graphic designer... it is not intentional

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

I'd say without bounce, with trail gradual fade, off center, but only about half center compared with the example you put in the store mockup.

@pHghost said:
    I'd say without bounce, with trail gradual fade, off center, but only about half center compared with the example you put in the store mockup.

cool, ill give it a shot! thanks for the feedback!

thanks man! I appreciate the help :) this is probably the hardest part of the game lol

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited February 2017

i like the bounce idea but executed I don't like it that much. The hole/shadow looks off since its no longer in the center

your first version without the rounding mistake on the tail
    would look good to me