SUGGESTION / FEATURE: It would be great if an actor could make Particles BEHIND the actor.

HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Currently, using the Particles behaviour, it will spawn particles in front of the actor. Great.

But it would be great if there was a checkbox letting you "Spawn particles Behind actor".

Or even a drop down list (Back of layer, back of actor, front of actor, front of layer). Personally, I don't need this level of control though, just "in front" or "behind" would be fantastic!

The simple example I have that would benefit from this handy feature would be a car actor that wants to spawn skid marks BEHIND the actor, thus leaving a trail under the car.

Currently, my skid marks spawn on top of the car, and I'll need to make another actor that follows along with the car everywhere if I want it to leave skidmarks in the right order, which is made more difficult because I have multiple cars the player can get in and out of, and even after leaping from a moving car, it'd be nice if it could spawn skidmarks on the correct layer as it skids to a halt, so I may need a solution where I need more than just one "skidmark creator" actor.

So, it's all a bit of a pain, and would be much easier if the Particles behaviour had options for which draw layer to put the particles on. :)

If you would like this too, you can VOTE for the feature here...
http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1826

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Good idea, in fact it's always been a good idea, it's been a good idea every time it's been suggested for the last half decade :smiley: I can't imagine for a moment it will ever happen now.

"Currently, my skid marks spawn on top of the car, and I'll need to make another actor that follows along with the car everywhere if I want it to leave skidmarks in the right order"

Yep, that's the best solution, and it works pretty well.

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

Agreed, I've wanted this functionality as well. What I do as a work-around is this:

Create a new actor positioned under the actor you want the particles to spawn from; constrain the X and Y values of the new actor to the actor on top of it, and then spawn the particles from the bottom actor.

Using this method you can spawn your particles behind the actor instead of in front, although it would be easier if GS let you choose to spawn the particles under or over the actor

• @Socks said:

"Currently, my skid marks spawn on top of the car, and I'll need to make another actor that follows along with the car everywhere if I want it to leave skidmarks in the right order"

Not sure which is more performance taxing, to constrain an actor behind the main actor emitting particles. Or to have the actor be stationary and set the offset of the particles to Actor1x - Actor2x, etc.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Hymloe said
    But it would be great if there was a checkbox letting you "Spawn particles Behind actor".

Apple doesn't approve fart apps anymore! :D

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited February 2017

@RossmanBrothersGames
    imagen like an "aura" effect something that is a circle around the character moving small from behind him getting bigger before it fades out, in a pulse like particle behaviour.
    Right now it would sit on top of the actor, there is also no way to make an offset since you want the particles center have its origin x/y all the time.
    Right now you need to make the aura as a custom actor.