Stick to character's tongue

LemonKicksLemonKicks Member, PRO Posts: 64

Hi everyone,

I have a question where I can't seem to find the answer to. I have an actor (frog) that has a tongue that shoots out if a button is pressed. After the tongue shoots out, it retracts again. I have an ice cream actor which I would like to stick to the tongue and move back in with the tongue (so I can animate the frog eats it). I have no idea how to make the ice cream "stick" to the end of the tongue and make it move back in along with the tongue.

Does anybody know a good way of setting this up?

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

"a tongue that shoots out if a button is pressed"

This could mean just about anything, are you able to say what this 'tongue' is ? An actor that moves, an actor that stretches, an animated image sequence that moves, a static animated image sequence . . . etc etc . . ?

• LemonKicksLemonKicks Member, PRO Posts: 64

Sorry @Socks, I'll try to explain it better. The "tongue" is also an actor. I have added the rules of the tongue to make it clearer ("The word Uit" is Dutch for "Out").

Replicate & Extend

Retract

Trigger retraction

Destroy tongue

I would like the ice cream to "stick" to the actors tongue.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187
    edited February 2017

I've done this. I just use a move to behavior in to the frogs mouth. Make it fast and it will fool the eye. Or interpolate. Lots of timing fiddling. The tongue was just for show. A good snap sound helps sell it.

Are positions variable? Or frog sits in one spot?

See my Fly Frog Croak game. Though I could do a better job of it now.

@Socks and @Toque - the frog actor sits in one spot. I do have a demo project, but don't know how to implement it into my own game. Whatever Im trying, it doesn't seem to work. I tried to copy the rules of the "Grabable" (in TongueDemo.zip) into my ice-cream actor but it doesn't work.

This is the demo project file of how it should be working.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Here is a demo of how I did it. Without details it would be hard to say how yours would need to work.......
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3mjum3e58b5v0k/sticky tongue.zip?dl=0

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited February 2017

Like Toque says, without details it's hard to guess at what's needed, for example no one besides you knows what the target object is doing, it could be moving, it could be static, its interaction with the 'tongue' actor could be range specific, it could be time specific (etc etc) . . . anything anyone does is subject to a decent chance of 'yeah that's great, but it won't work for me as I need it to also do X' . . . attached is another approach, but like I say I'm not sure how much of this would be applicable to your needs ?

Click anywhere on the screen to extend the tongue and grab the target.

Thank you so much @Socks and @Toque for your help. The files were very helpful! :smiley: