Universal Build to fit iOS and Android

I have traditionally built for iOS but think it makes the most sense to build for both real platforms.
So if I want to create an game in landscape, what should i keep the playable/viewable area to in dimensions? I understand creating area above and below this playable are so that there are not components outside the area in case off of the screen.

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

The question is more: do you want to develop for smartphones only, or tablets as well?

If only for smartphones, then it shouldn't be a huge issue -- while the resolutions may vary, screen ratio sizes are usually quite universal (of course with some exceptions). If in doubt, just keep some space and don't place important buttons on the very edge.

• hzappshzapps Member, PRO Posts: 173

Tablets also but specifically the ipads. What should we do as screen ratio sizes

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

If you use tablets as well, you need to think about your game from a design perspective -- what will work for this game best -- before you start thinking about how to put the logic together.

Do you have direct control buttons (walk, shoot, jump, etc.)? Then you probably need to include logic to move these buttons, because they need to be close to the edge to be convenient as controls.

Do you tap things all across the screen (like a hidden item game)? Then you can probably get away with having "dead space" on the sides or top/bottom.

Think about player experience first.