Game demo Super Steam Punk

quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280
edited February 2017 in Working with GS (Mac)

Hey Guys,

Here is a quick demo of a game I have been working on. I started the build based off of DBA’s botbox, but then added my own graphics and a new twist to the game. It is still a bit rough but, you will get the picture.

Basically each level you will have to destroy a certain number of bots. You can collect coins to buy items in the store. Each level will have a few hidden gems, at first they will be easy to find but as the levels progress they will become harder to locate.

These gems are used to get access to the next world (each world is 15 levels) If you finish all the levels in the first world and do not have enough gems to move to the next world. You have two options. 1. Go back and find the gems 2. Buy gems in the app store.

Every few levels I will add in new bots that will become harder to kill.

Let me know your thoughts or ideas on how to make it better of if you think the idea sucks.

Thanks

https://youtu.be/ctKLOF42FdI

Comments

• iraqiraqiraqiraq iraq baghdad , muslimMember Posts: 89
    edited February 2017

how make store in your game ?
    your level he have scene like level 1 scene 1.level 2 scene 2? or all your level in one scene ?

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

I built the store using tables, it is quite simple. Do a quick search on building a store, you will find lots of good stuff. Each level is a scene. World 1 (1-15 scene ) World 2 (16-31) etc.

Here is a simple store tutorial

@iraqiraq said:
    how make store in your game ?
    your level he have scene like level 1 scene 1.level 2 scene 2? or all your level in one scene ?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Looks good!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited February 2017

Looks like fun to me ! :) Love the mining element, pretty unusual for a platformer !!

Feedback . . .

Parallaxing background . . . Objects further away from the observer move at a slower rate than objects nearer to the observer, in your game the distant hills/rocks (brown) parallax faster than the mid-ground desert . . . this actually takes away from the sense of depth, in fact they appear to be moving, when they should appear to be rock solid (through the use of correct parallax).

I'd also be tempted to separate the foreground (the action!) from the background a little more, at the moment they both occupy the same dynamic range, I think sticking some distance haze / atmospheric scattering (pushing everything towards blue) would help.

I also think you really need a strong landing noise when he lands on a platform, it'll give him a lot of weight, I'd also stick a little dust cloud in there too, kicked up by him hitting the ground.

And finally, I think the music is a little too 'soft', it sort of slows things down.

@Socks said:
    Looks like fun to me ! :) Love the mining element, pretty unusual for a platformer !!

Feedback . . .

Parallaxing background . . . Objects further away from the observer move at a slower rate than objects nearer to the observer, in your game the distant hills/rocks (brown) parallax faster than the mid-ground desert . . . this actually takes away from the sense of depth, in fact they appear to be moving, when they should appear to be rock solid (through the use of correct parallax).

I'd also be tempted to separate the foreground (the action!) from the background a little more, at the moment they both occupy the same dynamic range, I think sticking some distance haze / atmospheric scattering (pushing everything towards blue) would help.

I also think you really need a strong landing noise when he lands on a platform, it'll give him a lot of weight, I'd also stick a little dust cloud in there too, kicked up by him hitting the ground.

And finally, I think the music is a little too 'soft', it sort of slows things down.

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely add them in the game.

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

Noticed that the dust kick up animation plays when you move in the air - I'd addd a rule so it only kicks in when the hero is running on the floor. And maybe add in a few extra key frames on some of the animations, the jump in particular - the run is nice and smooth but other animations feel a little jerky.

Very minor (heh) details - the game looks great and as Sock already pointed out, platform+mining is a neat idea

Looking forward to playing this one

@socks I have been playing around with a landing noise but I can't quite figure it out. I want the landing noise to happen only when the actor drops form a certain height. I was playing around with self.motion linear velocity y

@imjustmike said:
    Noticed that the dust kick up animation plays when you move in the air - I'd addd a rule so it only kicks in when the hero is running on the floor. And maybe add in a few extra key frames on some of the animations, the jump in particular - the run is nice and smooth but other animations feel a little jerky.

Very minor (heh) details - the game looks great and as Sock already pointed out, platform+mining is a neat idea

Looking forward to playing this one

Thanks for the feedback. I will make the adjustments!

• Great work.. but I think you need to make the actor move faster!! try matching mario platformer!! that's my opinion

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Looks fun!

• Looking good! Gameplay feedback: The jumping looks very floaty to me. He hangs in the air a long time, making the game feel a bit slow.
    Also the black and white background in the menu doesn't seem to fit the feel of everything else.
    Nice work, keep it up!

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Seems a touch slow.
    But really great stuff

edited February 2017

@Toque Slow as is character movement or gameplay?

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

I think I am seeing what Ross man brother games is saying.

Hard to really say until you play it.

So used to Mario mechanics speed. Every other speed seems off. It's not wrong just different.