Golf scoring for a concept game

I am working on a game that will use scoring same as golf game. Each level you will have so many trys to get to the end of the level.

Lets say the world has 3 levels...with a total to 12 tries for all three levels.

For Level one you need to make it to the end in 5 tries to break even. (But if it takes you 4 tries you are -1 and if you are 5 you are +1 )

So basically I want my scoring to be set up like a golf game. I plan on have many levels per world. I was wondering what would be the best way to track the score and trys per level. I am guessing using a table but I just can wrap my head around how it would work. Any ideas?

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Your table would look like this

Level  Tries     Score
    1           3          -2
    2           5            0
    3           6            1

When changing to a new level, increase game.level by 1. Then use game.level as your row variable in any table behaviors. As for the score, just change the value of column 3 to game.tries-5.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

Thanks!

@tatiang said:

Level  Tries     Score

When changing to a new level, increase game.level by 1. Then use game.level as your row variable in any table behaviors. As for the score, just change the value of column 3 to game.tries-5.

edited March 2017

OK, I have been playing around
    with this with no luck. My brain is misfiring. I know what needs to happen but my brain is not making the connection.

I even looked at buying a golf game to see how they set it up, but none of them accually use golf scoring.

Do you know of any examples that have neen posted in tbe past on Somthing like golf scoring?

@tatiang said:

Level  Tries     Score

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@quinn221 said:
    OK, I have been playing around with this with no luck.

Can you be more specific? What IS happening, instead of what you WANT to happen?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@pHghost said:

@quinn221 said:
    OK, I have been playing around with this with no luck.

Can you be more specific? What IS happening, instead of what you WANT to happen?

Unfortunately, just saying "I want golf scoring" doesn't really clue us in to what you're having trouble with. When you set up my method, where did you get stuck? It helps to post screenshots of rules, etc.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang ans @pHghost thanks for the help guys, the problem was how I had my scoring and strokes set up. I am all good now @Two.E had an example. I now see where I was going wrong.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

Darn it, only saw that you got help after I made this for. You'd need to add another rule to keep track of the total tries and total par strokes but it does the job.

Wow Thanks! It is great to see how others come up with a solution. This is useful as well!

@fmakawa said:
    Darn it, only saw that you got help after I made this for. You'd need to add another rule to keep track of the total tries and total par strokes but it does the job.