Multi-Touch Setup

I'm trying to find the best way to make a digital instrument using multi-touch in GameSalad.

I need a tone to be played whenever the user is touching any of 6 buttons, but the pitch of the tone must depend on which buttons are pressed, i.e. if all 6 fingers are touching the tone would be D, if 5 fingers are down E, 4 fingers F#, 3 fingers G, 2 fingers A, 1 finger B....

@Socks any suggestions?

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

You can monitor the touch count using the touch attributes. You'll have to build out logic that accounts for when a touch is pressed and how many touches are on the screen. I have a few videos on multitouch.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited March 2017

@rainwaterstudios said:
    I need a tone to be played whenever the user is touching any of 6 buttons, but the pitch of the tone must depend on which buttons are pressed, i.e. if all 6 fingers are touching the tone would be D, if 5 fingers are down E, 4 fingers F#, 3 fingers G, 2 fingers A, 1 finger B....

Like @The_Gamesalad_Guru says, you can use the touches.count attribute.

When game.touches.count = 1
    Play B
    Otherwise
    --When game.touches.count = 2
    --Play A
    --Otherwise
    ----When game.touches.count = 3
    ----Play G
    ----Otherwise
    ------When game.touches.count = 4
    -------Play F#
    ------Otherwise
    --------When game.touches.count = 5
    --------Play E
    --------Otherwise
    ----------When game.touches.count = 6
    ----------Play D

Another approach . . . . you could also load in just a D (as your root sound file) and pitch it according to the touch count, each semi tone is 105.94631% higher in pitch value than the previously lower pitch, so D is 1, D# is 1.0594631, E is 1.12246206026161 (1.0594631*1.0594631), F is 1.18920713399715 (1.12246206026161* 1.0594631) . . . etc etc.

This might seem a little convoluted, but the advantage is that if you can be bothered to calculate the equation then you can put the entirety of your touch based pitching into a single equation that lives in the pitch expression field, and the number of touches will pitch the root D up accordingly.