Could anyone tell me if this is possible on gamesalad? thanks :)

hey guys, thanks for taking the time out to view my thread :)

i am making a game shooting blocks of letters and i was wondering if i could somehow tell the player what letter block will be loaded next into the shooter?

its pretty much the same concept as when in tetris the game tells you which shape block will be coming out next while one is already travelling downwards.

thank you so much in advance :)

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Albz19 said:
    i am making a game shooting blocks of letters and i was wondering if i could somehow tell the player what letter block will be loaded next into the shooter?

Whatever the thing is that decides what the next block will be can also be used to display the upcoming block.

• Albz19Albz19 Member Posts: 4

@Socks said:

@Albz19 said:

Whatever the thing is that decides what the next block will be can also be used to display the upcoming block.

ahh yes i am using a table with just the alphabet on it and the letters are picked at random, how could i go about doing this? thanks for the quick reply by the way

@Albz19 said:
    ahh yes i am using a table with just the alphabet on it and the letters are picked at random, how could i go about doing this?

Make a random selection from the table, use it to display the next block - as well as using it to generate the next block.

@Socks said:

@Albz19 said:
    ahh yes i am using a table with just the alphabet on it and the letters are picked at random, how could i go about doing this?

Make a random selection from the table, use it to display the next block - as well as using it to generate the next block.

any tips on how to do that? just learning tables atm

edited March 2017

@Albz19 said:
    any tips on how to do that?

I literally have no clue what rules and behaviours you are using, how they are set up, how they are triggered (and so on) . . . . threads move immeasurably faster when someone is willing to reveal the actual code set up . . . . so I can't really offer you any specific advise, but whatever process you are using to produce the next letter (my best guess here would be that you have an actor and are changing its image attribute?) you can use that same process to display the same image in another 'display' actor.

So for example if the current image is 'B' . . . then when the actor is touched or the timer reaches a certain time (or whatever it is that triggers the next letter) you would copy a random letter from your table into a Game.Attribute (let's call that attribute NEXT), then you can display NEXT on your display actor as well as changing the current image to NEXT as well.

Does that make sense !?

edited March 2017

@Socks said:

@Albz19 said:
    any tips on how to do that?

I literally have no clue what rules and behaviours you are using, how they are set up, how they are triggered (and so on) . . . . threads move immeasurably faster when someone is willing to reveal the actual code set up . . . . so I can't really offer you any specific advise, but whatever process you are using to produce the next letter (my best guess here would be that you have an actor and are changing its image attribute?) you can use that same process to display the same image in another 'display' actor.

So for example if the current image is 'B' . . . then when the actor is touched or the timer reaches a certain time (or whatever it is that triggers the next letter) you would copy a random letter from your table into a Game.Attribute (let's call that attribute NEXT), then you can display NEXT on your display actor as well as changing the current image to NEXT as well.

Does that make sense !?

thanks again, i tried all this but the block i shoot when its on the floor or in the air, i shoot my next one and then it changes to the block thats on the grounds letter to the random letter than just came out of my gun. i changed my "next attribute to be changed to the random table attribute, it seems like i should have to change my table letter to the next attribute but i cant do it that way around in the change attribute menu

Like I say I don't know how the game is set up so it would be difficult to offer any specific advice when it comes to trouble shooting, all you'd really get are guesses.