Need Help Optimizing Game For HTML5

Triangularity GamesTriangularity Games Founder/OwnerMarylandMember Posts: 140

I've never tried using the HTML5 feature in Gamesalad, so I don't know ANYTHING! I made a game in Gamesalad for iPhone 6+, but when I preview it in HTML5, there are several problems. First, it doesn't work for multiple screen sizes. When I change the aspect ratio/resolution, black bars appear on the sides. The only thing that seems to fix this is using the stretch feature. I don't want to have to use stretch, because it makes the game look bad, so if there is a way to fix this or make a universal build for HTML5 that might work. Second, my game requires resetting a scene multiple times, but when I reset it once, the background becomes black, and remains that way forever. Third, I'm using Display Text in my game, and it appears in a different font and in a different location. Any help/advice/links/videos will be greatly appreciated.

The reason I'm trying to build my game for HTML5 is because I'm testing a workaround for getting Google Play leaderboards to work on Gamesalad games...

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Triangularity Games said:
    When I change the aspect ratio/resolution, black bars appear on the sides. The only thing that seems to fix this is using the stretch feature. I don't want to have to use stretch, because it makes the game look bad . . .

What would you like it to look like ?

• Triangularity GamesTriangularity Games Founder/Owner MarylandMember Posts: 140

@Socks said:

@Triangularity Games said:
    When I change the aspect ratio/resolution, black bars appear on the sides. The only thing that seems to fix this is using the stretch feature. I don't want to have to use stretch, because it makes the game look bad . . .

What would you like it to look like ?

I would like it if it didn't need to be stretched out to fit on multiple devices/displays. I like the letterbox view where it fits horizontally, and the extra width is just filled with the background. But even in preview (not HTML5), I have a scene where I need the letterbox effect to be a different color than the background. How can I achieve this?

What it should look like (main scene):

What it looks like (tutorial scene):

Basically I have the tutorial scene as a copy of the main scene, but with a gray cover in order to give the tutorial...

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Make the project iPad size. Extend the Gray area to iPad size (I guess that's the alternative target platform you are interested. Use Overscan instead of Letterbox.

• Triangularity GamesTriangularity Games Founder/Owner MarylandMember Posts: 140

@pHghost said:
    Make the project iPad size. Extend the Gray area to iPad size (I guess that's the alternative target platform you are interested. Use Overscan instead of Letterbox.

Will this fix the problem with the sizing of HTML5 too?

Not sure. Is the problem you are seeing with HTML when you are publishing an HTML5 project, or testing the HTML in Creator??

@pHghost said:
    Not sure. Is the problem you are seeing with HTML when you are publishing an HTML5 project, or testing the HTML in Creator??

Testing in creator...I know the viewer has problems, but I don't know specifically what to fix or what just looks broken but actually works...

Do not test HTML5 in Creator at all, would be my suggestion.

@pHghost said:
    Do not test HTML5 in Creator at all, would be my suggestion.

You were right!!! I just put it on the arcade and it looks fine...
    You can check it out if you want: http://gsrca.de/141332

Yup, works well!