Mac Creator Release 1.25.80 is Available

Comments

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

Got it..

While i'm here any updates coming our way GS?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@smurfted said:
    Got it..

Coming up for two months without word from GS !

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited April 2017

@Socks

Woo! An anniversary, I love those!

Wait...

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2017

@pHghost said:
    Wait...

I passed out holding my breath. :dizzy:

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

@Socks said:

@smurfted said:
    Got it..

Would be nice to know the progress on the bug that causes phone calls to freeze games

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@RossmanBrothersGames said:

@Socks said:

@smurfted said:
    Got it..

Would be nice to know the progress on the bug that causes phone calls to freeze games

Yeah, seems like it should be a high priority bug.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284

@AlchimiaStudios said:

@RossmanBrothersGames said:

@Socks said:

@smurfted said:
    Got it..

Yeah, seems like it should be a high priority bug.

+1
    We need a fix for this very soon.

edited April 2017

@pHghost said:

@Socks

Woo! An anniversary, I love those!

I suspect there is a direct correlation between GameSalad engagement with its online community and the number of Unity beginners tutorials watched.

edited April 2017

@Socks said:

I suspect there is a direrect correlation between GameSalad engagement with its online community and the number of Unity beginners tutorials watched.

Yes, definitely... and also an inverse relationship with the number of Buildbox tutorials our old mate David Ballew @Thunder_Child releases.

BTW was "direrect" deliberate or are you just testing me?

@PhilipCC said:
    BTW was "direrect" deliberate or are you just testing me?

I dont know what your taking about.

@Socks I don't know how you managed to type that word in the first place? Every time I tried autocorrect kept highlighting in orange it and saying it could not be found! I had to copy from an RTF and paste it in. :D

@PhilipCC said:
    @Socks I don't know how you managed to type that word in the first place? Every time I tried autocorrect kept highlighting in orange it and saying it could not be found! I had to copy from an RTF and paste it in. :D

I always have my autocorrect set to use Ancient Aramaic.

@Socks said:

@PhilipCC said:

I always have my autocorrect set to use Ancient Aramaic.

Awaah! :o

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Socks said:
    ... GameSalad engagement with ITS online community ...

Sounds like you are suffering from apophenia. ;)

@Hopscotch said:

@Socks said:
    ... GameSalad engagement with ITS online community ...

Sounds like you are suffering from apophenia. ;)

:)

edited April 2017

Apophenia:
    :) :p :)
    :o :( :#
    :/ :| :p

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited April 2017

@adent42 @ForumNinja @LearnBasicBusinessSkills

WHEN WILL YOU GUYS LEARN THAT SAYING HI ON THE FORUM AND UPDATING US REGULARLY ON THE THINGS YOU'RE WORKING ON IS BENEFICIAL FOR YOU AND US!!!?!?!!?!?

IT'S SO SIMPLE.......

EVERY THURSDAY, WRITE SOMETHING HERE SO WE CAN UNDERSTAND, STAY CONNECTED, NOT PANIC, PLAN, KEEP BEING ON YOUR SIDE AND ROOT FOR YOU.

@blob said:
    @adent42 @ForumNinja @LearnBasicBusinessSkills

WHEN WILL YOU GUYS LEARN THAT SAYING HI ON THE FORUM AND UPDATING US REGULARLY ON THE THINGS YOU'RE WORKING ON IS BENEFICIAL FOR YOU AND US!!!?!?!!?!?

IT'S SO SIMPLE.......

EVERY THURSDAY, WRITE SOMETHING HERE SO WE CAN UNDERSTAND, STAY CONNECTED, NOT PANIC, PLAN, KEEP BEING ON YOUR SIDE AND ROOT FOR YOU.

+1

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited April 2017

Its really sad... its the worst Ive seen it... I know they're down to basically just sales staff, but it really doesn't paint a good picture.

With some communication, the picture, although not necessarily rosy, can be improved massively.

Ive been using the other game engine, but keep coming back here, almost on a daily basis to see if theres any updates or improvement to the situation here, as i still have a stack of unfinished games built with GS, that at some point, I'd like to get around to possibly finishing.

So no post from GS staff for a few of months., and only 1 update to the blog in the past year...

... and I'd have thought they'd have been falling over themselves to help @RossmanBrothersGames with any issues they might have, what with possibly the biggest GS powered game of 2017 just about to be released with "Get Me Outta Here", but nope, doesn't seem like they care, or see the value in helping to make the game succeed.

Seems like they've just given up.... looks like your doing a great job @bdusing

And this post on Gamasutra's career guide, listing the miriad of available game engines, paints the picture GS seem to be adopting for themselves:
    http://gamecareerguide.com/features/1604/game_engines_galore_which_is_.php

"Gamesalad (http://gamesalad.com/) is one of the old game engines. It is old, few people use it and, from their website, it appears they target more schools and teaching institutes than indies and developers. This tool is similar to Stencyl in the way you develop games. You don't need coding, just logic trees and you are fine."

I don't know what to say anymore... maybe, Happy Easter all?

edited April 2017

@adent42 @ForumNinja @bdusingWhoThinkHeKnowsTooMuchToEvenReadTheForum

@Chunkypixels said:
    "Gamesalad (http://gamesalad.com/) is one of the old game engines. It is old, few >people use it and, from their website, it appears they target more schools and teaching >institutes than indies and developers.

And despite the ease of use of GS, this is the type of writing that will stop schools and teachers from adopting GameSalad.
    Because they want to teach logic using exciting and promising tools for their students, tools that are being used and can actually be utilized to make stuff in the future.
    But this corpse aroma is creeping in, so they may opt for more visible and alive solutions, even if it requires a bit more of a learning curve.

This is What I and many others told @bdusing when he introduced himself many moons ago:

don't forget us!. you can't grow outward if you kill your core.

At first any expansion seems to work, there's growth there, then, little by little the expansion outward starts to rot as the blood supplies from the core disappears.

Rule 345 of business: never let down your core audience even if it's not a priority anymore;

The short term effect of such letdown may be a gain of resources and time, however the long term effect is implosion!!

Because developers:
    Create visibility for GameSalad.
    Showcase the power of the tool
    Push the limits and make the engine look the best it can
    Inspire and motivate teachers and students
    Create the "oh so important" intangible aura that draws people to your product.
    Successful games are the best way to create awareness and any kind of subscriptions.
    etc...

And these, my friends, are more powerful that any sales team!

We, Indies and developers are the core!

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599
    edited April 2017
  • AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@blob said:
    @adent42 @ForumNinja @bdusing

Because developers:
    Create visibility for GameSalad.
    Showcase the power of the tool
    Push the limits and make the engine look the best it can
    Inspire and motivate teachers and students
    Create the "oh so important" intangible aura that draws people to your product.
    Successful games are the best way to create awareness and any kind of subscriptions.
    etc...

And these, my friends, are more powerful that any sales team!

We, Indies and developers are the core!

Yep, teenagers and educators will want an engine that it impressive in it's simplicity, but also impressive in it's capability. You want to convert those students into developers. What better way than to showcase the strongest developers in your community and help with the issues that they face with the engine.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@Chunkypixels said:
    Its really sad... its the worst Ive seen it... I know they're down to basically just sales staff, but it really doesn't paint a good picture.

I get all this sentiment, and it would be lovely to have more communication, but @RossmanBrothersGames among others still prove the power of this tool and the success you can achieve with it. It's a lot better to do that, rather than just complain.

edited April 2017

//

I guess my comment was aimed mainly at the fact that lately some people just appear now and then for what seems to be just one purpose: to complain. They usually don't contribute to the Forums in any other way.

We know GameSalad is doing horribly with communication. They know we know it. Repeating it won't make things better.

But that said, we know that the description in the linked article is BS, so trying to use that as an argument... For one, the article for some reason doesn't mention any GameSalad games released more recently (like Roll Turtle), instead opting for older games, possibly to demonstrate that GameSalad is 'old' -- what does that even mean in this context? As for GameSalad targeting schools rather than developers -- from a marketing perspective that is true, but they haven't yet taken anything away from the developers (and I don't think they will). GameSalad still remains a great tool to create games (albeit with far from perfect support).

The reason I used @RossmanBrothersGames as an example was because they are active, they also bring up requests for fixes and complaints, but their overall interaction in the Forums is positive and constructive. When the bring up an issue it's a specific problem they are facing, not general bashing.

But yeah, it might be a loose connection.

edited April 2017

@pHghost said:
    But that said, we know that the description in the linked article is BS, so trying to use that as an argument...

I think quoting that article makes a perfectly valid point, that is the perception of GameSalad from the outside, of course we all know how great GameSalad is, but that's not what we're talking about here, we're talking about how it's perceived by the general SDK world. So in that respect it's a good argument for underlining how GameSalad are slowly allowing their online presence to die.

@pHghost said:
    The reason I used @RossmanBrothersGames as an example was because they are active, they also bring up requests for fixes and complaints, but their overall interaction in the Forums is positive and constructive. When the bring up an issue it's a specific problem they are facing, not general bashing.

RossmanBrothersGames are great (with and without wigs), but I still think this is a sort of separate issue, the argument seems to be 'you cannot (or should not) complain about GameSalad's lack of engagement because someone is making a great game', I don't see the two things as connected in anyway. RossmanBrothersGames are great and GameSalad are allowing a once vibrant community to die off (posts down 80% in just 3 years ! that's a pretty rapid rate of decline).

If GameSalad folds people like RossmanBrothersGames (and all the others making great games) will be effected as much as the people voicing their concerns.

General Bashing (3rd Battalion, Parachute Regiment) is not such a terrible thing ! People complaining is not a terrible thing, it's an opportunity for GameSalad to know what their user base actually thinks, I've never really understood the 'it's better to not complain' thing ?

Anyhow, this is all academic, these things come up from time to time, complaining or not complaining doesn't seem to make much difference either way :)

edited April 2017

@Socks said:
    I think quoting that article makes a perfectly valid point, that is the perception of >GameSalad from the outside, of course we all know how great GameSalad is, but that's >not what we're talking about here, we're talking about how it's perceived by the general >SDK world. So in that respect it's a good argument for underlining how GameSalad are >slowly allowing their online presence to die.

Absolutely! ...That's the point!.

RossmanBrothersGames are great (with and without wigs), but I still think this is a sort >of separate issue, the argument seems to be 'you cannot (or should not) complain about >GameSalad's lack of engagement because someone is making a great game', I don't see >the two things as connected in anyway. RossmanBrothersGames are great and >GameSalad are allowing a once vibrant community to die off (posts down 80% in just 3 >years ! that's a pretty rapid rate of decline).

YES!!

General Bashing (3rd Battalion, Parachute Regiment) is not such a terrible thing ! People complaining is not a terrible thing, it's an opportunity for GameSalad to know what their user base actually thinks, I've never really understood the 'it's better to not complain' thing ?

Personally i never bash GS aimlessly.
    Like many others before me, I proposed an hybrid open source format with subscriptions. a plugin system
    I tried to gather all these communications in a voting thread.
    I pretentiously o:) try to educate GS team because I knowwww with all my heart they are not operating the best way possible considering their situation...

And now I'm about to reveal my next fun Idea because we should never get discouraged!!!! >:)

I pledge to reward GameSalad $1000 in bonuses, if they reduce the average loading time by a factor of 3 and fix the crooked splash screen within the next 2 month.

I already pay my subscription and i don't mind investing more.
    People buy useless TVs for more than that.
    So to me it feels like a sound investment.

If you feel the same, please pledge whatever you feel it's worth to you (e.g. $10 $40 $100 $500 whatever... it all adds up!) and see how high we can go....

Then no more workforce, time and budget excuses.

Wacky idea??! when you really think about it... not so much...

As to how to make this possible:
    They can create an escrow account redeemable only if service rendered etc....

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

That's pretty generous Blob. I don't think anyone can match your unique passion for GS.