Saving a table in GameSalad to GameSparks or Part 1 of multiplayer.

adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 436

First part of a series on how to get multiplayer working with GameSparks. In the first part I show you how to save a table to GameSparks from GameSalad.

Hope somebody finds it useful.

Comments

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

Very cool! Can't wait to see the next part of the series. I downloaded your game on two devices and tried to run both at the same time with vs online player button enabled on both, but they were stuck in the matching phase. Are you having a problem matchmaking?

Also, when I return to the menu from matching I get a pop-up that says internet required and is constantly flickering. I checked the device and it is connected, so not sure why this pops up.

How are you checking connection by the way? Are you sending an initiation message and if callback is not 1 you show the pop-up?

Good stuff though :) Would love to see someone get multiplayer online working well for GameSalad games.

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 436

The one currently on the store is not made with Gamesalad (it is Corona). I forget why it does that. Hopefully, I'll get this one up there and replace the one in the store. :-)

@viking and by the way your 2 downloads doubled my download number from the last 2 years.

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

Cool :)

• johnnymagnejohnnymagne NorwayMember Posts: 112

Very interesting - keep it coming @adriangomez

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239

wow dude you deliver some neat information recently.
    First the Tizen offer starting early 2017 + adding banner ads inmobi (which isnt nativly supported by gamesalad)

Now this.
    There is/was Backend saving via appformative but multiplayer games were out of grasp since playtogether servers stopped beeing supported/online.

You bringing the mulitplayer option game back is super exciting.
    If thats really possible with gamesparks(matchmaking,lobby etc) and the current options in gamesalad.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Yep over and over behind the scenes I tried to convince the GS staff they were sitting on a gold mine with Playstogether. It was completely implimented and fully working in the software with just one snall bug I found, display text wasn't always refreshing when data was updated. They owned playstogether and had it working in the mac version. All that was left was implementing it in the publishing system. I even told them I had a completed game, a template and a 12 part video series on how to build a multiplayer game ready to go. They just don't listen over there. They saw no value in something they already had?????? 90% of the work was done and ready and they just threw it in the trash. This is why GS fails time and time again, they don't listen and grasp at straws.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

yES!!!!!! Cant wait for the rest!!!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    Yep over and over behind the scenes I tried to convince the GS staff they were sitting on a gold mine with Playstogether. It was completely implimented and fully working in the software with just one snall bug I found, display text wasn't always refreshing when data was updated. They owned playstogether and had it working in the mac version. All that was left was implementing it in the publishing system. I even told them I had a completed game, a template and a 12 part video series on how to build a multiplayer game ready to go. They just don't listen over there. They saw no value in something they already had?????? 90% of the work was done and ready and they just threw it in the trash. This is why GS fails time and time again, they don't listen and grasp at straws.

Was that before the new CEO, the new funding and the change in direction?

@adent42 and @ForumNinja Maybe you guys could bring it up again and try to get some attention from the powers that be now?

Multiplayer games would be just as fantastic for the education market as it would be for all of us.

• ellie.lawsonellie.lawson Member Posts: 1

Hi, I'm Ellie from GameSparks! This is a great tutorial, thank you for creating it. We love to see how users can get creative with the GameSparks platform. Get in touch at https://www.gamesparks.com/contact/ we'd love to give you a hand to create further videos.

Thanks,

Ellie

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@adriangomez
    Very interesting! Since GS does not offer plugin / SDK integration capabilities I would not have thought at looking at 3rd party systems like "GameSparks". Great job with the first part of your tutorial :)

It also looks like "GameSparks" offers very good terms for indie developers (they obviously do understand what it means to be indie). Cool that a representetive @ellie.lawson stopped by and offers a hand with further tutorial video creation @adriangomez

edited December 2016

Wow, thank you for all the love. I really didn't expect it. I have always loved GameSpark and how flexible it is. Gamesalad had multiplayer capabilities and I figured that whatever backend system they used, I would be able to replicate it even better in Gamespark.

I have created the two more videos building on the first video:
    The first one goes over creating a user in GameSpark from GameSalad.

Just realized that the first video is the entire video. Even though I got an error saying it was too long when I uploaded it.

Also please note that:
    1. I have put both the cloud code and the project on github: https://github.com/agramonte/Gamesalad-with-Spark
    2. I have had for my entire life a problem pronouncing the letter "L". So if you don't understand what I am saying try repeating with "L" instead. Example: When I say "connection" what I am really trying to say is "collection".

and Ellie I'll gladly reach out to you.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited December 2016

nice work buddy.

top! Right focus Multiplayer, matches, sessions, sending info between players.
    This is what game salad was missing. Following your video series.

//

edited December 2016

The latest code is in github with multiplayer working. A new version of the test app has also been uploaded.

The latest and probably last video can be found here:

And sorry Ellie, I have not been able to contact you yet. Hopefully after the holidays.

Please note:
    1. The test app is very simple and depending on the orientation of the phone/tablet the characters might go up on one phone and down on the other. But it is just there for demonstration purposes. Many on these forums are much better at GameSalad logic than I am.
    2. On the test app all the keys and appId have been replaced by 00000.

• Games4lifeGames4life Member, PRO Posts: 279

So can an app like clash of clans now be made on Gamesalad because of this integration?

I have never played Clash of Clans, but it is possible to make something like words with friends, Yatzee and a TicTacToe game. I wouldn't recommend it for games where you need split second position accuracy.

• Games4lifeGames4life Member, PRO Posts: 279

@adriangomez said:
    I have never played Clash of Clans, but it is possible to make something like words with friends, Yatzee and a TicTacToe game. I wouldn't recommend it for games where you need split second position accuracy.

Is it possible to make a game where friends could join friends and fight boss battles together?

• NKBDLNKBDL Member, PRO Posts: 100

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:

So this PlayTogether thing it is no longer in the market? I wish to see what are my options besides this GameSparks

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@NKBDL what is it that you want from a back-end system? You can have a look at the services we offer on APPFormative (link in signature), or contact me if you have questions.

@adriangomez followed your first video and I cant seem to get any server response. It ain't calling back and when I checked the callback instruction on GameSparks they were different but those didn't work either. In the first video, where those instructions done with GS or was it corona since someone mentioned it above?

Folks, did any one else ever manage to make this work apart from @adriangomez ???

• GameSparks_ClareGameSparks_Clare Member Posts: 3

Hi all!

While we do not have any GameSalad Tutorials on our site at the moment, if you want to use GameSparks and are having some trouble please do not hesitate to get in touch with our support team via - https://support.gamesparks.net/support/home

You can also add a feature request to our forums for more GameSalad related items!

Clare

@GameSparks_Clare said:
    Hi all!

While we do not have any GameSalad Tutorials on our site at the moment, if you want to use GameSparks and are having some trouble please do not hesitate to get in touch with our support team via - https://support.gamesparks.net/support/home

You can also add a feature request to our forums for more GameSalad related items!

Clare

Thanks! I will buzz!