Publishing Purchased Game Templates (GS Helper)

Hi all --

I'm new here, and while browsing through the GS Helper Marketplace, I became aware of the ability to purchase complete game templates. However, I wasn't able to find any legal documentation defining usage rights. I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer my following questions:

1. Can purchased game templates, which are published, be monetized or sold?
  2. Does credit have to be given to original creator(s)?
  3. Can the published game be rebranded or renamed?

Thank you.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited May 2017

I'm not an official representative of GameSalad or GSHelper but I've been around long enough that I think I can answer the questions at least as a first stab at it. You might want to contact @Braydon_SFX or use the blue chat icon at the bottom-right of the forums page to check with Support.

Each template should specify usage rights but generally those are limited to use of (or non use of) graphics and sounds. It's implied that if you buy a template, the code is yours to do with what you like. That being said, simply buying a template and renaming it and publishing it is looked down upon in this community.

[Edit: see @Braydon_SFX's responses below]

I took #1 to mean that the person published the app on the app store. But re-selling a template is not okay.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

I'm going to differ with @tatiang here, assuming I understand correctly.

1. No. Purchasing a game template and then turning around and selling it is not allowed. I've seen users do that and simply swap out the graphics or just rename the attributes but have the exact same logic. You are free to, of course, take the template and then publish a game on the app store (free or paid).
    2. This should be answered from my answer to #1. :)
    3. Yes.
  • jonhern47jonhern47 Member Posts: 2

@Braydon_SFX said:
    I'm going to differ with @tatiang here, assuming I understand correctly.

1. No. Purchasing a game template and then turning around and selling it is not allowed. I've seen users do that and simply swap out the graphics or just rename the attributes but have the exact same logic. You are free to, of course, take the template and then publish a game on the app store (free or paid).
    2. This should be answered from my answer to #1. :)
    3. Yes.

Thank you both for your replies. Just to clarify -- when I say publishing, I am referring to the app being published on the App Store or Google Play, not on a template marketplace.

Should I just contact the template vendor and confirm usage rights with them before purchasing a template?