Zipalign file missing

PixelGamingPixelGaming Member, PRO Posts: 19

I been trying to figure this issue out all day, searching all through-out gamesalad and the internet. Every one had a solution and none of them worked for me.

My computer does not have the folder SDK that contains the zipalign file.

Someone please help lol

Comments

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited May 2017

@PixelGaming - If you've installed the SDK, then open Finder, and once it has focus, navigate to this option, to open the (normally hidden) "Library" subfolder:-

Type in:- ~/Library

Then search using the top-right search tool, but highlight "Library" after starting the search:-

I was having a nightmare finding mine - looked everywhere, and of course other, older downloaded versions of the Zipalign tool didn't work, so this was the easiest way for me... :)

Of course, once you've found the damn thing, also copy it to somewhere easier to find/reference! :wink:

• PixelGamingPixelGaming Member, PRO Posts: 19
    edited May 2017

@Japster said:
    @PixelGaming - If you've installed the SDK, then open Finder, and once it has focus, navigate to this option, to open the (normally hidden) "Library" subfolder:-

Type in:- ~/Library

Then search using the top-right search tool, but highlight "Library" after starting the search:-

I was having a nightmare finding mine - looked everywhere, and of course other, older downloaded versions of the Zipalign tool didn't work, so this was the easiest way for me... :)

Of course, once you've found the damn thing, also copy it to somewhere easier to find/reference! :wink:

thank you! the funny part was my library folder was in a folder that I couldn't access nor search for in my mac. I had to go into the android program > tools to find where the sdk folder location was. After that I decided to re-download the whole entire sdk tools in a different folder where I was able to access it. Then it worked, everything is good to go thank you!

There is no tutorial for this.

Here are my steps:

MAC USERS

• Open up the android studio application
    • Press the Android Studio tab on the top left of your screen next to the apple icon
    • Click Preferences
    • A window will pop up called Default Preferences
    • Go to Appearance & Behavior > System Settings and Click Android SDK
    • Click the SDK tools tab
    • Notice above will be a file location box (Android SDK Location: [location] Edit)
    • Click Edit, a window will pop up called SDK Components Setup
    • Go towards the bottom where Android SDK location is located, next to the box will be a box with 3 dots in it like ...
    • click the box ( ... ) and select a new location for your contents
    • press next and the contents will be installed in the new location
    • wait till all contents is downloaded (sometimes it will say fail to download certain contents, press retry until it's completely downloaded) Once it's successfully downloaded, click finish
    • Go back to your window to publish your game
    • Go to the new location of your SDK folder and select the zipalign file
    • Finish the rest of your steps on your publishing window
    • Done

Glad you sorted it! - Yeah, that Library folder being hidden from general views and searches is why I had to use the above! :wink:

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited May 2017

Good, detailed instructions. This is something that comes up so much that this thread should be stickied. ;)

@Braydon_SFX said:
    Good, detailed instructions. This is something that comes up so much that this thread should be stickied. ;)

thank you! I updated my steps, added more details and specific names so no one gets confused (hopefully lol).

edited May 2017

Sounds good, and glad you got there/found another solution, but honestly, I think the method I mentioned is easier/really quick! - once the SDK is installed, if you navigate to the library folder and search (as the SDK installs somewhere in there), it'll find it, and you can copy it straight out of the search window... :smile:

I know that you can't see the folder (or find it's contents using search) under normal circumstances, but the 'go to folder' option will happily open it if you just enter "~/library", search in that window, and just select "Library" as the area to search...

@Japster said:
    Sounds good, and glad you got there/found another solution, but honestly, I think the method I mentioned is easier/really quick! - once the SDK is installed, if you navigate to the library folder and search (as the SDK installs somewhere in there), it'll find it, and you can copy it straight out of the search window... :smile:

I know that you can't see the folder (or find it's contents using search) under normal circumstances, but the 'go to folder' option will happily open it if you just enter "~/library", search in that window, and just select "Library" as the area to search...

For some reason your solution didn't work for me, probably works with a ton of other people but for me no so much :(

So that's why I typed out my steps incase anyone went through my situation lol

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

On macs the usef libary folder is hidden now by default. To unhide

Open a window in the Finder
    Select you user folder or if your User Folder is not in the sidebar, while in the Finder hit ⇧⌘H to open directly to your User Folder Select menu : View > Show View Options or hit ⌘J Check “Show Library Folder” in the View Options window. Close the window. That’s it! Done!

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    On macs the usef libary folder is hidden now by default. To unhide

Open a window in the Finder
    Select you user folder or if your User Folder is not in the sidebar, while in the Finder hit ⇧⌘H to open directly to your User Folder Select menu : View > Show View Options or hit ⌘J Check “Show Library Folder” in the View Options window. Close the window. That’s it! Done!

Thank you! I didn't know that, well that pretty much solves everything lol

@PixelGaming said:

@Japster said:

For some reason your solution didn't work for me, probably works with a ton of other people but for me no so much :(

So that's why I typed out my steps incase anyone went through my situation lol

Ahh... I see! - yeah, well, it's always good to have more than one solution for such a case/scenario! - good stuff! :smiley:

• xotty9999xotty9999 Member, PRO Posts: 15

How about those of us working on PC? I installed Android Studio and searched nearly every folder and there is no zipalign that I can find. Any tips?

• xotty9999xotty9999 Member, PRO Posts: 15

Solution found: use the search folder tool and type in zipalign. I searched all of C://. It took a few minutes, but it turned up!

• NalycanNalycan Member, PRO Posts: 96

Downloaded zipalign-file from github. Saved it and filled in the path. Voila!

@Lycan said:
    Downloaded zipalign-file from github. Saved it and filled in the path. Voila!

I initially tried that approach, but I got to the end of the signing process, and it just errored - it was fine and ticked the Zipalign once I selected it, but after that and choosing the usual target location for my APK, it failed every time, and just said that there was a problem - wouldn't actually give any info on what it was - so I had to resort to trying my solution above - once found, I had no problem signing with that version of ZipAlign... weird...