Scrolling image - black bars at end of image

mw77mw77 Member, PRO Posts: 17

HI all, I have a scrolling image but when the image gets to the end of the screen there is some blank space that i cant figure out.
see images.

The image scrolls left to right at a resolution of 1024 x 768. If I change the image width to 1060 x 768 the blank space goes but the image look a bit jerky when its strolling. I also dont feel this is the work around, any ideas?

Answers

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

It's very very difficult to backwards engineer code that produces a particular issue using only a description of that issue !

Not only would someone need to accurately reproduce the code you are using through pure guesswork, they would then also need to guess at how this code they've guessed at might have been implemented incorrectly to produce the issue you're having.

Which is all really weird (to me at least) given that all this information is on the screen right in front of you !? :)

Or in other words . . . can we see the code that is causing this issue ? A screenshot would be ideal.

• mw77mw77 Member, PRO Posts: 17

@Socks said:
    can we see the code that is causing this issue ? A screenshot would be ideal.

You could've saved yourself a lot of typing if you keep it to the above.

There is no other "Code"

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    edited May 2017

How are you making the image scroll, exactly? You've not shown us any code. If there is no code, it cannot be scrolling. If it isn't scrolling, I'm very confused as to what the problem is and how it's occurring.

Also, I recommend not being snarky to people trying to help you.

edited May 2017

@mw77 said:

Agreed :) but once you've typed out the same sentence a thousand times ('can we please see your code . . . ') you occasionally feel like pointing out just how odd it is to ask what might be wrong with X without bothering to show people what X is !?

It just seems weird to me, kinda' like asking someone if they like the new wallpaper you've just put on your iPhone, but not bothering to take the iPhone out of your pocket to show them.

Anyhow, no offence intended, apologies if I came over as being rude.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm not 100% sure what's causing your issue, but a quick workaround might be to place a static duplicate of the background image/actor behind the one that's moving, so when the black bars pop up for a fraction of second (the black is actually just the background colour) you will see the background image instead of black bars . . . hope that makes sense.

Another solution would be to make your background image actor 3072 pixels wide - and then in the Graphics attributes for that actor set Horizontal Wrap to Tile and set Tile Width to 1024.

edited May 2017

@Armelline said:
    How are you making the image scroll, exactly? You've not shown us any code.

It's all hidden in the actor's attributes (linear velocity X is set to 180, horizontal wrap is switched on . . etc).

edited May 2017

@Socks said:

@Armelline said:
    How are you making the image scroll, exactly? You've not shown us any code.

It's all done in the actor's attributes (linear velocity X is set to 180, horizontal wrap is switched on . . etc).

Totally managed to miss that! The presence of a prototype and instance of the actor distracted me! Really not used to the Windows layout...

@Armelline said:
    Totally managed to miss that! The presence of a prototype and instance of the actor distracted me! Really not used to the Windows layout...

Have you started you bank holiday weekend drinking early (again) ?

@Socks said:

@Armelline said:

Have you started you bank holiday weekend drinking early (again) ?

No, but I really don't tolerate the heat well... This isn't the England I know!

edited May 2017

@Armelline said:
    No, but I really don't tolerate the heat well... This isn't the England I know!

I know, it's all a bit too tropical for me, I called the council to see if they could do anything, but apprently the weather isn't something they are willing to deal with, what are we paying council tax for ? We are almost in June, I expect monthlong downpours and the occasional flood at the very least.

@Armelline said:

Also, I recommend not being snarky to people trying to help you.

It goes both ways dont you agree.

@Socks said:

@mw77 said:

Agreed :) but once you've typed out the same sentence a thousand times ('can we please see your code . . . ') you occasionally feel like pointing out just how odd it is to ask what might be wrong with X without bothering to show people what X is !?

Not knowing the software may lead to not asking the right question with the right information. I dont know you have typed the same sentence a thousand times, I do now :wink:

It just seems weird to me, kinda' like asking someone if they like the new wallpaper you've just put on your iPhone, but not bothering to take the iPhone out of your pocket to show them.

Anyhow, no offence intended, apologies if I came over as being rude.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

accepted.

I'm not 100% sure what's causing your issue, but a quick workaround might be to place a static duplicate of the background image/actor behind the one that's moving, so when the black bars pop up for a fraction of second (the black is actually just the background colour) you will see the background image instead of black bars . . . hope that makes sense.

Another solution would be to make your background image actor 3072 pixels wide - and then in the Graphics attributes for that actor set Horizontal Wrap to Tile and set Tile Width to 1024.

I will look into this and try it out.