The GameSalad App Awards

pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
edited September 2016 in Announce Your Game!

Hello everyone, hope you are all busy at work on some new games! Why? Cause we love to play them -- and so do you, we are sure!

As some (most) of you are (might be) aware, GameSalad and later on the community have been running a monthly contest where you can win some sweet vouchers or a month of PRO membership. We usually get a decent number of submissions and sometimes it is a lot to handle on a month-to-month basis, since all of us also have jobs and lives of our own to attend to -- yes, this is also a tiny apology for taking a break during the summer. As such, we have decided to make it a bi-monthly contest. Wait, you might ask. How is doing TWO per month going to make things any easier? Have you gone mad? No. Not that bi-monthly. The other one. From now on, we will be spreading it out and having the contest once every two months.

In practice, the way it will work, is we will announce the contest and leave the submissions open for a whole month. Then, at the end of the month, the panel of judges will have a second month to test, play, discuss, deliberate and whatnot other, to announce the winner at the end of the second month. Then a new announcement will be made and a thread for the next two months opened. So, really the thing will be ongoing throughout the year, but it will be a bit more spread out.

So yeah, as we said: hope you are all busy at work on some new games! Why? Cause we love to play them -- and so do you, we are sure! Oh wait a second there! So do you, we are sure!? Yes! Because the contest is community run, you can join the panel too! And we would love you to do that. It doesn't have to be a regular thing. You can do it just once. You can do it once a year. Or every other month. Of course, you cannot sit on the panel at times when a game you worked on is in the current contest (whether you programmed it or only did the art or music).

We will be starting this new system with the next contest, so with the September GotM, expect a fairly regular timeframe, as before (it's still called Game of the Month for now, after all).

We are looking forward to your amazing applications and your involvement in this great community project supported by the GS team!

Comments

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@pHghost What a great news.

What if we were all to post the winning game on our Facebook pages (with the App Store links) for all to see, hopefully boosting word of mouth and downloads for the winner? ;)

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

Sounds great! - I work much, much too slow (I'm a tad OCD), to create full decent games even in 6 months, let alone 2 months, so this ISN'T being asked on my behalf/for my potential benefit... (and yeah, I know the actual entries themselves can take longer, just be submitted every month (or 2 months now!), but I digress...

This sounds great, but just wondering...

Not trying to sound ungrateful, but I always felt that GameSalad themselves giving just a month's PRO membership to the winner doesn't seem an awful lot to give, considering some extremely good showcase games have been historically produced, to better advertise Gamesalad's power? - Always seemed more like a runner-up / 2nd-place prize in terms of value I'd have thought? - Now with the compo's taking place every 2 months, and potentially being judged over a longer period, just wondering if GameSalad might donate a slightly longer portion of PRO time to the winner(s)?

(Obviously I understand that the community / @pHghost etc are now kindly running this, but at the end of the day it DEFINITELY helps GS to have developers go into overdrive to create top-notch entries that showcase their product)

So what do you say, Gamesalad? - maybe make it a more incentive-spurring award (2-3 months of PRO) for the winning developer, in addition to exposure, and possibly 2nd/3rd prizes? :wink:

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited June 2017

Alot of cool games have been made lately.What happened to gotm ? its been a while , i almost forgot it! :)

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Very good point. I think I'll have some more time end of June/August, so if there are others interested in being on the panel, we should do it!

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

Would love to do it but most people dev for iOS and I'm on android

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

I think a lot of users do both platforms. Or sometimes Android only, because they don't have to pay an annual fee. It's good to have an Android user on the panel, in the past it was just iPhones and iPads, so we had problems testing some games.

• NKBDLNKBDL Member, PRO Posts: 100

I am doing Android and I am a paid but light used indie developer for 2 years.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

Great, then sign me up!

• firaxofiraxo Member Posts: 11

I like Facebook app and youtube

• I’m officially submitting my newly publI shed game!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.elratarts.sumoskater