Maths Formula Needed - Ranking System

DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

Hopefully a maths whiz may be able to help me with this one.

I want the player to receive a ranking in my game based on how many points they have scored.
So, to keep it simple to explain:
The player can score between 0 - 100 points.
The player can be ranked from 10 - 1 (10 if they’ve scored 0 points, to 1 if they’ve score the full 100 points).

This would be simple if the ranking was to grow in a linear fashion - but I want it so the ranks grow quickly initially (less points needed to go up ranks) but then slower as the rank gets higher (more points needed as rank is higher). I guess think of it as a parabolic curve on a graph.

I hope I've explained this well enough - I can upload a graph to illustrate better if needed.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help!

Comments

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Could you use a table?

Just make the table 100 cells, and you can manually enter in what score is equal to which rank.
    Then just use the tablecellvalue function.

I wouldn't know any formula though.

Best,
    Two.E

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited June 2017

This should do it:

floor(sin(score*.9)*10)

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

In the example case a table would work fine - but in the game I'll have a much bigger ranking system, maybe ranking from 10,000 to 1.

I'm sure a maths formula will do the job but it's not my strong point.
    Maybe @Socks will know the solution!

Thanks @Socks, only just spotted your post - i'll give it a try!

@Socks - your solution doesn't seem to be working for me, the resulting value goes back and forth between positive and negative numbers.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited June 2017

@DigiChain said:
    @Socks - your solution doesn't seem to be working for me, the resulting value goes back and forth between positive and negative numbers.

Can you show me a screenshot of how you have it set up, otherwise it's hard to guess what might be the issue ?