Can I take my Game Salad project back and forth between Mac & PC versions of GS?

HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

My Macbook Pro has died, so I was going to continue working on my project on Windows instead.

Is this possible?

Are the two versions cross compatible? Can I go back and forth both ways?

And can I publish for iOS from Windows? If not, what is the step where you start needing a Mac? Just for signing builds, or using Application Loader? Or earlier than that?

Thanks!

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Yes! You can. Just zip the project file and send to a Windows. Look for the .gameproj file in the folder and double click to open in GameSalad on Windows.

You can publish to iOS from Windows, but you'll need a Mac virtual machine (google it).

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Thanks @Braydon_SFX!

And you can then take that back to Mac as well, after being edited on PC?

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

I still have trauma from trying to do this years ago - missing attributes, broken actors (unlocked actors getting mixed up attributes, and prototype actors being unable to have some attributes added/removed, changed - GS guys had to fix the issue and project in the end for me, back when they had enough people who knew how to), empty expressions, etc, etc...

@Braydon_SFX - are these deffo all sorted out now mate? - ie. you've tried moving projects across, and they work fine back and forth, 100%?

Personally, it was such a horrendous, time-sapping experience, going through all of my actors and behaviours to fix them, re-set images, etc, that I've never, ever done it since... Would be good to know that yes, it definitely works 100% now!

Cheers...

I've worked on my project for many years on the Mac version, and I have quickly tried it on Windows, and it looked fine (after a quick play)... I'd have to play more thoroughly to know if some little things have broken, but it left me feeling kinda confident that it's working.

Haven't tried going back to Mac from a project I've edited on the PC version.

I still have a Macbook Air 11" to work with, which I can use for publishing to Apple, etc, which is good! But it's quite small, and not so great for working on day to day.

But yeah, it'd be great if I can switch between Mac and PC whenever I want, and to just know they're compatible.

It's kind of a hard thing to text really throughly myself, so I thought I'd ask all you guys first, to get your combined experience on it before even trying it. :)

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

I've moved several projects back and forth with no issues. The projects were of various complexity and I haven't seen an issue, though I know some people report that they do - but like I said, I've never had an issue.

Thanks again!

It's great to know that, at least theoretically one can go back and forth with no troubles!

Excellent news. I shall do my own tests to make sure my project is working fine before I go too crazy, though.

Cheers! Thanks a million.

• NKBDLNKBDL Member, PRO Posts: 100
    edited June 2017

Yes for sure. Just need some time in zipping and unzipping.