Best way to do sword swing

Triangularity GamesTriangularity Games Founder/OwnerMarylandMember Posts: 140

What would be the best way of achieving a sword swing? Would you have a sword actor and animate it separately, or simply have the player animated with an invisible sword actor? I'm basically trying to make a sword swing down and reset once the swing is over...any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Triangularity GamesTriangularity Games Founder/Owner MarylandMember Posts: 140

Found somewhat of a solution. "Rotate to angle" makes a swing effect, and using "move to" to line it up with where the player would be swinging has a somewhat useful swing effect

• Triangularity GamesTriangularity Games Founder/Owner MarylandMember Posts: 140

Even better way is to simply "rotate to angle" quickly, and then change the center of mass on the sword to near the handle end (a few pixels about where the handle would be) and the effect is perfect

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

The simplest way and the better way is to do it with animation and spawning an invisible actor

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@Icebox said:
    The simplest way and the better way is to do it with animation and spawning an invisible actor

Yes. That's the typical way to do it. Also animate for running, jumping, die.......

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Try my custom collision shape animations. You can select just the sword as your collision shape. See the videos on my youtube.