Designing / testing for iPhone X

Hey @ForumNinja @adent42 and others-

Do we know if there are any plans to test what our games will look like for iPhone X users when it’s released? The screen has a very unique shape and ration that we need to make design accommodations for.

For example, will it be possible preview the screen resolution / shape within Creator preview?

Thanks!

Comments

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685
    edited September 2017

I very much doubt that GS will accommodate a new device in preview (although would love to be proven wrong!) All hands are working on the new Web version. I very much doubt that creator will receive any updates now. I would expect to see it make an appearance in the new web version at some point before release though it would seem silly not to include it as they are relaunching their software. It seems logical (to me) to market it with iPhone X support.

If it helps, I have made a very basic template that I place in my project that outlines the iPhone 5/6/7/8 (all same ratio) and iPhone X in the centre. Based in an iPad project. I normally build my games in an iPad environment and use overscan to publish so placing this image in the project when building the game allows you to see exactly what actors/image are in view on what device.

-The far edge of the image is the iPad and will be seen only on an iPad
    -The inner line is the iPhone X boundary anything inside the centre will be seen on the X but anything outside the inner lines will not be seen or clickable this is what I refer to as the "safe zone" and I place every button or screen play in this very centre.
    -The middle line is for the iPhone 5/6/7/8 and this used to be my old boundary before the X came and messed things up. If you are not supporting the X then this would become your safe zone.

Its nothing fancy but its very easy to drag this image in your iPad project and overlay any scene you want to see if you are inside or outside your boundaries!

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284

Just a small addition. No idea if this is an option in the windows creator but in the mac creator you can add a custom resolution for the iphone x (e.g. 1085x500 / 500x1085).

• jasonnowakjasonnowak Member Posts: 67

@gingagaming thanks for that resource!

I wish it were as simple as accommodating for a new resolution but the new screen design has the ‘notch’ area that we need to design around. If you just scale up your games without considering this area you are likely to have content or UI obscured.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

Hi!
    Today I received an email from someone from Apple, inviting me to design considering the new iPhone X and share these links. Now I want to share with you:

https://developer.apple.com/iphone/
    Designing for iPhone X
    Human Interface Guidelines
    Building Apps for iPhone X

@ForumNinja @adent42
    It will be possible to include in the viewer a mask with rounded corners and sensor area?
    It would be very good

Thanks!
    Roque

• jasonnowakjasonnowak Member Posts: 67

@CasualEvolution said:
    Hi!
    Today I received an email from someone from Apple, inviting me to design considering the new iPhone X and share these links. Now I want to share with you:

https://developer.apple.com/iphone/
    Designing for iPhone X
    Human Interface Guidelines
    Building Apps for iPhone X

@ForumNinja @adent42
    It will be possible to include in the viewer a mask with rounded corners and sensor area?
    It would be very good

Thanks!
    Roque

I think this would be the ideal solution for quick testing.

@adent42 does GS publishing export with the iOS 11 sdk? If not, then our games will just be letterboxed on iPhone X anyhow.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

Created this template last week, using it with an iPad based universal build.
    The central area is transparent (on the attachment) to be used as a safe area template.

Hope someone finds it useful ;)