Slant image?

I'm trying to create a shadow

I need to know how to "slant" and image as shown here

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/photoshop/ps-key-concepts/skew.jpg

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I don't think that's possible in GameSalad but you can definitely do it in Photoshop.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

problem is that the shadow is based on time
    So i must find a way to slant the image

I think i can do it with the available attributes.. but i need to find the function for it.

I don't understand how you would do that in GameSalad at all. I mean, even if you could skew the actor's position and size, it wouldn't affect the image itself. It would probably crop it or something. Now, if you just want to have a second actor (e.g. a black square) mimic a shadow for the actor you posted above, I suppose that might be possible but again I wouldn't know how to do it mathematically because you're stuck with a static shape that can rotate but not skew.

You could fake it with a bunch of separate (photoshopped) images to create an animation or constrained shadow.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@abuabed84 said:
    I think i can do it with the available attributes..

Nope...

You can't.

If it based on time, just use an image sequence and then control that with logic.

edited October 2017

If you sliced the image in Photoshop, you could offset each slice's X position by a certain amount and increase the offset over time. That would achieve a skewed appearance.

See attached demo (the screenshot below is composed of 50 separate slices from the original image you posted).

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Aside of Photoshop, you can skew images easily in Adobe Fireworks, Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo (and a bunch of others) and export a series of them, but only one at a time. For the shadow you just need an outline of the subject exported as a PNG with transparency. You can auto trace the subject in the same apps. Then use the frames as @pHghost suggests.

If you import the shadow object into Apple's Final Cut Pro, or Motion, you could create a skewed transition over time and generate as many frames as you want in one hit!

I guess it all depends on what software you have access to and know how to use.

edited October 2017

This dancing tower version is pretty fun. Left & right arrow keys... have at it!

• firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211

Hey there!

You are able to create dynamic skewing using camera tricks in GameSalad.

I have a free demo of it working over at gshelper.com
    http://gshelper.com/product-category/free-templates-and-tutorials/firemaplegames/

I made that demo 8 or 9 years ago so it might have broken since then - but worth a shot :-)

Maybe it will point you in an interesting direction.

I'm sure somebody like @socks would be able to pull it off much more elegantly.

Good luck!
    Joe

• 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

Thanks guys,
    I'll try these out.

@tatiang The demo you gave I think becomes a bit too pixelated when the shadow is tall (say near sunset)

Since I'm using it in a shadow I might experiment with having the 50 parts use blurry edges

Awesome demo, @firemaplegames

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

@firemaplegames -- I was just going to suggest your demo when I saw your post.

Its nice that you still frequent the forums!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Very nice demo!

Not very useful for the purposes it's needed for here, though. Since it is a camera trick, it will skew everything in the scene, not just one actor.