Install app (.ipa) on non-provisioned devices

tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I realize this may be a question that only a few select people can answer but I'm throwing it out there anyway. I developed an app for use by my colleagues and I want to make it available to them to install in-house on iOS devices. This means I want it off the App Store and installed via adhoc methods.

One method is to install via xcode which seems straightforward enough but is requiring me to add each device to the provisioning profile (unless I'm missing something). Another method is to use our MDM (Casper's JAMF Suite) to push out the .ipa file to devices that are already managed on our network. In testing this latter method, the app begins installing but times out with "Unable to Download App: [app name] could not be downloaded at this time."

I'm wondering if the MDM method requires the device to be included in the provisioning profile. I'm trying to avoid adding 80 employees' devices to the provisioning profile. Is there any way to install an adhoc version without doing that?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Answers

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

Try using the development provisioning profile and xcode I've used it before, and I don't remembering having to add device to it. might not work but should be easy to test anyway.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@BBEnk That's what I'm using. I ended up adding a device to that profile and got it to install with xcode but if I don't add the device, I can't seem to install it that way.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited October 2017

my bad I was thinking of the iOS team provisioning profile that pops up when signing GS games I used that not sure were it came from.

also what about the testflight app you just send email invite to them.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited October 2017

I'm pretty sure Testflight still requires the device to be added to the provisioning profile.

Ooh... maybe not... brb