NOTICE: DO NOT UPGRADE TO HIGH SIERRA

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

GameSalad isn't running properly on High Sierra currently and until a new build is released to fix the issues it's highly suggested that you not upgrade to it!

We're currently looking into some fixes, but it's likely we won't have an update available on the launch day for High Sierra.

Just a heads up!

Comments

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Thanks for the heads up!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685
  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Thanks for the notification! Normally I install new OSes on a new partition to test GameSalad, but I've not got around to it this time so really glad someone has and has given us some warning!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Thanks, but we usually stay one whole version of MacOS behind. :D Meaning I'm just about to upgrade two iMacs to Sierra. Having used Macs since the original 1984 model has made me extra cautious. However, most of the grief has come from the 3rd party apps that we relied upon, not Apple.

My partner's MacBook Pro came with Sierra but she doesn't use GameSalad... as yet! :p She would probably try the online tool when she can incorporate games into her websites.

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Member, PRO Posts: 486

phew..

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

Cheers, thanks for the heads up.
    Great timing, I was wondering.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

Oh no... wish I had logged on earlier to see this. :rage: Just finished moving to High Sierra.

GameSalad opens fine but Actor view and Scene view do not load correctly.
    Surprisingly Preview view does work.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@RowdyPants Yep that's exactly the issue. We have a build that's mostly working currently, but the attribute inspector is still not displaying properly.

• SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Member Posts: 797

lol freaking apple

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

How is this Apple's fault? Big OS updates can often cause problems as technology is updated. That's why Apple gives both developers and the public access to Beta builds, to test everything and make sure the transition is smooth once the final version comes out.

While GameSalad is lagging behind a bit, at least they gave us a warning and we know a fix is coming!

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

I'm with @SLOCM3Z ;)

@adent42, any ETA?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited September 2017

@Valan no ETA yet. I got half the problem fixed, but still working on a tricky bit. Luckily it's not too big, it's mostly me digging into code I haven't touched in a while and the fact that whatever change Apple made seems to be undocumented (or badly documented).

If you're curious, it's tied to attribute rendering. Somehow the tree list we are using for attributes isn't rendering properly the first time it's called. Hopefully sometime in the next two weeks. (Between fixing stuff for the web tool and improving scalability of publishing).

@ adent42 thanks.
    Just looking forward to the new file system. Can wait a few weeks.

Heard Adobe are also finding breakages.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Noooooooooooo.... just updated. WHAT DA HECK. Any eta on a fix @adent42? Clearly I need to spend more time reading the forum.

@Hypnorabbit
    Make a partition for Sierra and GS.
    Here's a link a MacWorld "how to"

• elementappdevelementappdev Member, PRO Posts: 55

RIP... just saw this.

Still working on it. This might come in handy in the meantime: https://gist.github.com/arobb/447a962af4f07ef81e79987d686275e5

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Took the leap and upgraded my Mac a few days ago!
    Mavericks is really a step up from Mountain lion and loving it so far. (Even the new wall paper)

Best,
    Two.E

@Two.E
    El Capitan works just fine too, but I'm just about to move onto Sierra on my R iMac.

Sierra is still good, High Sierra is the problem. So feel free to keep going up to there :)

There are more reasons you may want to avoid High Sierra for a while, particularly if you want to ensure the integrity of your back-ups of your entire Mac incase you want to revert. This article from MacWorld is well worth a read:
    http://bit.ly/2xsCT5M

• QwazzMeQwazzMe Member, PRO Posts: 39
    edited October 2017

ARGHHHHHHH... I just saw it now, trying to understand why my GameSalad is suddenly blank. førck...

• paulkerrypaulkerry Member, PRO Posts: 25

too late but doesn't worry me for now because I have finished all my released for the year I will resume next year now.

• diogoredindiogoredin Member Posts: 50

Also dual Bootcamp is failing on high sierra.

@adent42 When do you expect a new release to be made? I just bought a new MB Pro with High Sierra preinstalled. But I'll sell it if the release is weeks away and buy something with Sierra because I can't sacrifice weeks of work. Thanks!

@Hypnorabbit unfortunately, a bit longer. We needed to shuffle some server apps around this week, so I've lost a bit of time, and the spare time I've spent on it, I still can't figure out what's going on. You can always try to install Sierra on a VM and run it that way for now if you're stuck.

Thanks @adent42 and will do. Unfortunately I've been away from GS for a while. Are PC and Mac file types still interchangeable? Anyhow- please keep us updated on the Mac fix.

Downgraded to Sierra don't worry.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Hypnorabbit said:
    don't worry.

Do worry. We still want an update sometime soon! :wink: