Revmob - issues with reward ads?

JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
edited October 2017 in Working with GS (Mac)

Hi guys - I've set up Revmob, can see the usual Soda crush etc ads when testing video reward ads in testing (none-live) mode, BUT, I'm not getting a pre-roll or post-roll confirmation, nor the rewards?

Just wanted to know if anyone else is using this ad service for video rewards, and if they are, do you see confirmation etc? - I'm expecting to see something like that shown on these mock-up screens in RevMob? (and yep, I'm using a pause scene behaviour with a video reward selection!) :frowning:

I've also double-checked that my unique app ID is pasted into services in the publishing portal, all checks out! - argh.....

Cheers all!

Den.

Comments

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@adent42 @ForumNinja Have you any advice / confirmation for me on this please guys? - Am I trying to do something that's currently not supported or broken? - didn't want to be banging my head against a brick wall if it's currently not implemented/possible! :wink:

Alternatively, if it's something I'm doing wrong, I'd love to know what I've missed!

Cheers...

Hmm.... I may not have checked this option, pointed to by this page:-

"Allow App To Talk To Any Domain Insecurely"

help.gamesalad.com/gamesalad-cookbook/7-using-pro-features/7-04-setting-up-ad-networks/7-04-2-setting-up-the-revmob-ad-network/

Fingers crossed for tonight's testing then! :smiley:

For crying out loud.... I give up... nope... that didn't make a damn bit of difference either...

Has ANYBODY EVER managed to get a reward video working properly please guys? - pre-roll, post-roll included?

Well, not sure if anyone's even following this, but it seems to work fine for Android (correct values returned:- Value = 1, Name = "revmob"), but NOT for iOS (just get a value of 0, and the name is blank... (iOS worked fine for ForumNinja, albeit with his testing proving that for some reason Pre-Roll and Post-Roll screens seem to no longer be shown)....

Double checked the App ID and it's deffo correct.... argh....

edited October 2017

@Japster said:
    @adent42 @ForumNinja Have you any advice / confirmation for me on this please guys? - Am I trying to do something that's currently not supported or broken? - didn't want to be banging my head against a brick wall if it's currently not implemented/possible! :wink:

Alternatively, if it's something I'm doing wrong, I'd love to know what I've missed!

Cheers...

Well, huge thanks to Alex / @ForumNinja for looking into this, testing at his end, and confirming for me:-

@ForumNinja messaged:
    "Reward ads should give / update the game attributes if the ad is watched regardless of whether the player taps on it or closes it afterwards (this is where Android is working properly and iOS is broken currently).

I suspect that the RevMob SDK will need to be updated for iOS in order to fix things, which is something Tan will need to look into doing."

I'm still finding it hard to believe that NO-ONE here is using Video Reward ads on iOS, and couldn't add anything useful to this post, but hey....

At least it seems that maybe just the RevMob SDK might need updating, and not a bug in my game OR GameSalad - I'm really hoping that this is added sooner rather than later, given my release(s) hang upon having this in place (at present, rewards are ONLY given on iOS if the user actually CLICKS the ad, and returns to the app, whereas on Android it works correctly, and returns the correct flag state to confirm a reward is due.)

@ForumNinja @adent42 - guys? - I also assume that once Tan fixes this (are you guys possibly going to liaise with RevMob?) maybe it just needs adding/updating in the build/publishing portal, as I'm guessing that's where the relevant Revmob SDK code is added, so possibly not even a Creator update/fix required?

Understandably, if I release my app now, it's going to be commercial suicide - I'm going to get a LOT of bad reviews / disgruntled users / uninstalls, when they don't get rewarded for sitting through a video that's promised them some... :frowning:

@ForumNinja @adent42 - On a final note, I cannot get ANYTHING back from Chartboost, no video, anything - maybe the Chartboost one IS down to me (it seems to possibly actually require a live app store link)

Cheers all - let's hope that Tan @ RevMob gets this sorted (ASAP!)

edited October 2017

@Japster said:
    Well, not sure if anyone's even following this, but it seems to work fine for Android (correct values returned:- Value = 1, Name = "revmob"), but NOT for iOS (just get a value of 0, and the name is blank... (iOS worked fine for ForumNinja, albeit with his testing proving that for some reason Pre-Roll and Post-Roll screens seem to no longer be shown)....

Double checked the App ID and it's deffo correct.... argh....

PS - To avoid confusion after reading this ^^^ - Alex's testing only worked for iOS, when, like myself, he accidentally clicked the ad, not the X to close it. Hence we now know that it DOESN'T work/reward the player for iOS, unless you actually CLICK the ad, which is most definitely NOT correct logic / procedure.

edited October 2017

@ForumNinja @adent42 - I'm going to have to build again to test it's not just me, but I've tried my beta tester's version (a few days old) on an old iPad 2 on a hunch, and I have to say, it doesn't work there either? - and it's running iOS 9.3.5 (13G36) - I'm now more than a little concerned as this also plays ads, but doesn't reward, but I'll build and test my very latest one and try again, just in case...

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited October 2017

@Japster said:
    I'm still finding it hard to believe that NO-ONE here is using Video Reward ads on iOS

I am using them on ChartBoost, no problems there. You should also be able to test them before your game is live, never had an issue with it.

@pHghost said:

@Japster said:
    I'm still finding it hard to believe that NO-ONE here is using Video Reward ads on iOS

I am using them on ChartBoost, no problems there. You should also be able to test them before your game is live, never had an issue with it.

Thanks @pHghost - appreciate the input, and I take it this is across v9,10,11 iOS without any problems? - I'll look further into Chartboost too then, but you've not tried RevMob either then mate?...

Thanks again...

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Japster iOS 10 and lower for sure. Haven't upgraded to iOS 11 yet, so cannot claim that 100%, but my hunch is it's working -- my revenues didn't drop with the iOS 11 release (though there's not much lower for them to drop).

I'm doing an AdMob + ChartBoost combo. No RevMob. Does RevMob offer some benefits over the other platforms in your experience?

@pHghost said:
    @Japster iOS 10 and lower for sure. Haven't upgraded to iOS 11 yet, so cannot claim that 100%, but my hunch is it's working -- my revenues didn't drop with the iOS 11 release (though there's not much lower for them to drop).

I'm doing an AdMob + ChartBoost combo. No RevMob. Does RevMob offer some benefits over the other platforms in your experience?

Thanks again @pHghost , and I hear you on revenues... :frowning: I'm not expecting miracles, so not sure really, just that RevMob almost seems to work on iOS, and the reward videos seemed simple to set up in principle - ie. on Android they worked as expected?

I'm not up on Admob - i.e. is it decent rates, simple to set up, and does it also support rewarded videos? - I'll have a check though!

PS - no experience with any of them yet, it's basically the first time I'm trying ads, and video rewards seemed to be the only way to go, for my model?

Thanks for the advice and input though, really appreciated...