Big problem with text input...

smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

Well wow. I've made an app that relies on people being able to add their names into the app.

I used the game salad text entry. Its almost unusable. I might be late to the race here but i say again wow!

In my apk you need to turn the keyboard off to find the tiny "Done" button. Is that they case across the board?

Its terrible how has this been accepted for so long???

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Let's see... yes, yes, and yes. That behavior is very limited and even worse on Android. Most people just use or make a custom keyboard.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Yeah, text input has always been horrid in GameSalad. I think people are used to it and it's not an oft used feature, thus not many people complain about it.

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Here are 2 templates you can use for your projects if you want, the first one is an old project that I don't use anymore as its a little slow to load and not perfect but it can be modified to your needs, I just don't use it any more. The second is more of a custom one with a custom text, works better and loads faster but less native. Feel free to share then around.

• Jeffm2Jeffm2 Member Posts: 142

@gingagaming for some reason i dont see the attached projects about keyboard input. any way to get a link?

Thanks so much

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

When GameSalad changed from one forum to another they broke all the links to the downloads in old posts (which is why you don't see it!) Here is a link to one of the projects (a fake native iOS) version. There are lots of ways to do this and I can build you a custom one for your project if you like. (I am a freelance GameSalad Developer). Just drop me an email at

damien@gingagaming.com

if you would like to hire me.

If you want to simply use this older project (designed for an iPad or tablet in portrait mode) then your free to use this one and modify it to your needs.

Best Regards Damien