AAA Game with GameSalad

CORE GameCORE Game Member, PRO Posts: 280
edited October 2017 in Working with GS (Mac)

Is it possible to make AAA iPhone Arcade Game with GameSalad?

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited October 2017

Absolutely! But you'll have to clear the copyright with http://www.aaa.com. What is AAA Game? If you think people won't know (see Choice #3 above), why not explain it?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Do you mean AAA quality? True AAA where a mega game corp uses GS? Either one is possible I suppose... so I guess yes?

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

The American Accounting Association thanks you for your patronage.

@Hypnorabbit said:
    The American Accounting Association thanks you for your patronage.

As does the American Anthropological Association. We will continue our goal of maintaining the largest association of anthropologists, even if that means releasing AAA games.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

I'm over that AAA shizz. The real question is can you make BBB games? Those are all the rage nowadays. And don't even mention XX... oh, nope.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

An BTW, what is GameSalad? I just noticed it's written across the top of every page on these Forums. Is some sort of conspiracy afoot?

• CORE GameCORE Game Member, PRO Posts: 280

I like the answers so far! But did we witness any real high quality games that can be compared to Unity 2D games which was built by real big companies these days ?
    I have noticed something myself, GameSalad is easy which makes all interested people work on it without hesitation (that has a cons and pros), so far I have seen lots of nice ideas and nice games but I personally didn't see a game that can be considered as top notch game, not saying the engine cannot do it ! i am just wondering did I miss some super titles made with GameSalad ?

and for you guys who voted what is AAA, i am sure you guys know but just to be clear:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@fsoufi said:
    and for you guys who voted what is AAA, i am sure you guys know but just to be clear:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

AAA (video game industry) (pronounced "triple A"), an industry term used to describe high budget video games

You can spend money using any game engine but that doesn't mean it's going to be any good.

edited October 2017

@fsoufi There have been plenty of good solid mobile games created from GS users, games like Get me Outta Here, Roll Turtle, etc.

Even some commercially contracted games (2 broke girls, Jay and Silent Bob, and a Neff one if I remember correctly) that were solid.

In terms of AAA scope maybe, maybe not.

AAA budget? Definitely not.

My brother and I have been working on a full length RPG in GS for 6 years now. It's probably going to be around 10-14 hours of gameplay based on the assets and content we've created (we can play about 7+ now in the internal alpha build, with hours more of content awaiting the import of enemies, polish, and such.)

It's got many features, high quality art, minigames, etc.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but you can see a bit about it here in the GS thread: WIP- Echoes of Aeons

But we definitely don't have AAA funding, team-size, or marketing. So I wouldn't consider it AAA.

I know I've seen other long-form work around the forums too, so i'm probably forgetting those too.

So yeah, good high quality games can be done in this quirky little engine. But no, nothing that's true AAA mainstream that I know of.

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    @fsoufi There have been plenty of good solid mobile games created from GS users, games like Get me Outta Here, Roll Turtle, etc.

Even some commercially contracted games (2 broke girls, Jay and Silent Bob, and a Neff one if I remember correctly) that were solid.

In terms of AAA scope maybe, maybe not.

AAA budget? Definitely not.

My brother and I have been working on a full length RPG in GS for 6 years now. It's probably going to be around 10-14 hours of gameplay based on the assets and content we've created (we can play about 7+ now in the internal alpha build, with hours more of content awaiting the import of enemies, polish, and such.)

It's got many features, high quality art, minigames, etc.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but you can see a bit about it here in the GS thread: WIP- Echoes of Aeons

But we definitely don't have AAA funding, team-size, or marketing. So I wouldn't consider it AAA.

I know I've seen other long-form work around the forums too, so i'm probably forgetting those too.

So yeah, good high quality games can be done in this quirky little engine. But no, nothing that's true AAA mainstream that I know of.

Perfect answer, and great game you are making, I can't wait to see it!

Hopefully your game and the rest of the high quality games will be fully recognized by GameSalad and they will include them in their marketing plan (since this is the best way to show the world what can be done with this simple yet amazing engine) !

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Yet, I do believe if the skills are there , you can make a great game and it can be graded as "A" game, I have made this poll because i am already in a challenge, I am asked to produce a game which has to be great in graphics, gameplay, story ..etc using GameSalad, it took me so far almost 1+ year and still working on it, I had to repeat the whole work because i wasn't satisfied with the results previously.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

But it really all depends on the size of the company. Take just one example which is Blizzard's Hearthstone development team:

https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Team_5

70 people working for over a year to create a game. Compare that to a development team of 1-5 people using GameSalad and it's not a fair comparison. I have no doubt a team of 70 people working that long full-time could produce an AMAZING game using GameSalad. Just as I have no doubt a team of 2 people working weekends for a few months could produce a CRAPPY game using GameSalad. In that case, it's less about the tool. And yes, I also doubt that a team of 70 people would use GameSalad at all. But that's a somewhat different discussion.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited October 2017

@tatiang said:
    But it really all depends on the size of the company. Take just one example which is Blizzard's Hearthstone development team:

https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Team_5

70 people working for over a year to create a game. Compare that to a development team of 1-5 people using GameSalad and it's not a fair comparison. I have no doubt a team of 70 people working that long full-time could produce an AMAZING game using GameSalad. Just as I have no doubt a team of 2 people working weekends for a few months could produce a CRAPPY game using GameSalad. In that case, it's less about the tool. And yes, I also doubt that a team of 70 people would use GameSalad at all. But that's a somewhat different discussion.

Hearthstone was actually 15 core members ( even less early on, like 5-10 for pre-alpha)for almost the entirety of development. After release it grew to 70. But to be fair they were all seasoned veterans, specifically chosen because of there tenure and multi-faceted skillsets.