WIP - Super RoShamBo Fighter 2

phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354
edited October 2017 in Announce Your Game!

Hi Everyone,
I've been working on this game for over 2 years off and on and getting very close to releasing next month. Just finishing the last level and bug fixes. Please checkout my in-game video and let me know what you think:

Enjoy!!!
Phamtastic

Comments

• MetalloMetallo Member, PRO Posts: 86

That looks superb, please keep us informed for when it is released.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Looks very nice! Great animations and visual style.

I'd change the swastika for another eastern symbol. Currently it is very strongly associated with the Nazis, a connection I don't think you are trying to evoke.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Looks great! I edited your post and fixed your YouTube link so that the video will show in the thread. :)

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354

@pHghost - the symbol was actually derived from Buddhist Monk in the 6century BC and symbolizing for love and peace but the Nazi actually stole it and flip it backward to mean something quite terrible.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited October 2017

@phamtastic said:
    the symbol was actually derived from Buddhist Monk in the 6century BC and symbolizing for love and peace but the Nazi actually stole it and flip it backward to mean something quite terrible.

I am aware of the history of the swastika. It is actually much older than that, dating at least to 6000 BC, if not even further. It meant many different things to different cultures that used it (though love wasn't one of them), from the sun, through grace of God and reincarnation or the whole created order of things, to good fortune; and was used in many different configurations.

The Nazis stole it, yes. They didn't 'flip it backward to mean something quite terrible.' They simply used one very specific configuration of it, but it became so prominently known that it burned itself into the consciousness of people worldwide and became associated with this horrible movement in our recent history. That is also why it is seen by most as meaning something horrible, not because of what the Nazis wanted it to symbolise, but because of what the Nazis did and it came to symbolise it through their actions.

That's why I clearly said:

@pHghost said:
    Currently it is very strongly associated with the Nazis...

Because at the end of the day, all these explanations don't really matter, because your players will view it very superficially. If this was a game full of for example hindu symbolism, and the swastika was one of many symbols you use, it would be a slightly different context. But with your character, in a fighting game, I'm not sure you will be delving deep into the backstory of that fighter to explain why he has this symbol on his dress. So I think it would be wiser to use another symbol; there are many Sanskrit and eastern mystical symbols to choose from.

@pHghost - Great feedback and i'll definitely put some serious thought on this.

Thanks!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Love the preview!

I remember traveling to Bali for the first time from the U.S. and being shocked to see the swastika painted on buildings. It was unnerving. Even after learning about and better understanding the cultural context of it, I couldn't help a visceral reaction to seeing it. I'd have the reaction and then remind myself "it's not a nazi symbol."

So from an American perspective, I definitely agree with what @pHghost wrote.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Amazing effects. I didnt pick up the “Nazi” symbol the first time I watched. If Apple reviewer notices it game will be rejected.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

GReat work!!! And I agree with everyone regarding the swastika. For everyone else outside of the east its only meaning is the Nazis. Even though some of us know the true meaning. I'd say change it. love the animation!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited October 2017

I too agree with all of the above about the negative reaction to the swastika. If Apple don't reject it, many of your potential users will. The app market is tough enough as it is without adding obstacles on your path to success.

Forgot to say, it looks fantastic! Good luck.

Thanks everyone on the feedback. I guess another week delay to remove the Buddhist Swastika symbol wont be a big deal after being in production for 2 years :)

• ZwireZwire Member, PRO Posts: 179

Wow nice street fighter/mortal kombat/dragon ball z/naruto mix!

Looks great man!

Wont you get sued by dragonball z's company for stealing the kamehameha and by the Gangdam style guy for using his character and image without permission (assuming you dont have permission)?

edited November 2017

@Zwire - Good question and I get asked that a lot but Im pretty sure that's not the case. If you check out games like MORTAL KOMBAT. Most of these characters are inspired by movies. i.e. Raiden is from "Big Trouble in Little China", Johnny Cage was from "Blood Sport", Liu Kang was inspired by Bruce Lee. So my game does the same, it's definitely inspired by
    Movies - Kill Bill, Master Flying Guillotine
    Anime - Naruto & DragonBall
    Pop Culture - Beiber, Psy - Gangdam, Tupac
    Fighting games - Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat
    However, I recreate each of the characters with original artwork and made a parody of each of them. I'm sure this is debatable but look at all the Games (including AAA titles) out there.. they're basically inspired and rebranded by other games/movies.

Here's a fight scene where I make fun of Tupac (aka uni-pak)

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Vj1KAmvYs&feature=share

@phamtastic said:
    @Zwire - Good question and I get asked that a lot but Im pretty sure that's not the case. If you check out games like MORTAL KOMBAT. Most of these characters are inspired by movies. i.e. Raiden is from "Big Trouble in Little China", Johnny Cage was from "Blood Sport", Liu Kang was inspired by Bruce Lee. So my game does the same, it's definitely inspired by
    Movies - Kill Bill, Master Flying Guillotine
    Anime - Naruto & DragonBall
    Pop Culture - Beiber, Psy - Gangdam, Tupac
    Fighting games - Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat
    However, I recreate each of the characters with original artwork and made a parody of each of them. I'm sure this is debatable but look at all the Games (including AAA titles) out there.. they're basically inspired and rebranded by other games/movies.

Here's a fight scene where I make fun of Tupac (aka uni-pak)

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Vj1KAmvYs&feature=share

Ok, nothing to worry about then.

Your game looks very cool. Nice Tupac.

You should make him shoot hands with a westside sign or throwing a Hennesy bottle or summon Suge Knight rushing in haha :).

edited November 2017

You should make him shoot hands with a westside sign or throwing a Hennesy bottle or summon Suge Knight rushing in haha :).

Great idea with Suge Knight rushing in. I already did something similar with one of the Big Boss "Oren Ishii" from Kill Bill with her Crazzy 88 minions rushing in.

I'm always brainstorming ideas of adding more whacky funny characters to make the game off the wall :)

I see. Nice.

Can you explain how your game works? Its turnbased and you cant move and only block and attack?

Maybe I have some good ideas.

@Zwire - It's realtime and not turn-based. It's a single player only where you fight a bot by shooting Rock Paper Scissors at each other. The Hero and AI Bot has 3 regular attacks, super combo moves, plus blocking. You're correct that the hero can't move forward or backward. However, you can perform aerial attacks that can dodge the incoming missile.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Very cool. Really was amazed with the first one. So glad to see you are still developing.
    Really admire how much work has done into this one.

Best,
    Two.E

edited November 2017

@Two.E said:
    Very cool. Really was amazed with the first one. So glad to see you are still developing.
    Really admire how much work has done into this one.

Best,
    Two.E

It was a lot of work especially since I couldn't devote full time due to my day job :) . I basically spent 3-5 hours a week for past 2 years on this pet project.

Here is a list of characters i got so far. See if you can guess where they're inspired from :wink: