Construct 3 looking for GS users... :(

CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

I just search "gamesalad" in google (I was looking for a game center tutorial) and this is the result, see the advertising that comes first...

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited November 2017

Can of worms...

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited November 2017

@pHghost said:
    Can of worms...

To be fair, I took a look again - tried some of the sample projects in the online/web editor... each one failed to run first time (side effect of limiting behaviours for the trial), though I re-tried, and they all ran okay after the 2nd attempt. Still, not a great start.

The shoot-em-up and platform game were pretty good (though GS is easily capable of both), but the puzzle game (akin to Tetris Attack, and actually looked really good!) went REALLY screwy, positioning of blocks went all over the place vertically, meaning it selected more than one pair at once, switching 4 blocks around, left blocks in mid air at various heights, etc... Maybe bad coding, maybe timing issues with the engine, either way, wasn't a great advertisement for it.... :frowning:

Was seriously considering Construct 2 / 3 a while ago too, until I heard that all targets used HTML5 wrappers.... The performance hit you'll see on that doesn't fill me with confidence, hence my concern for the GS web tool too, but hopefully native target support will remain - it's THE main thing GS has going for it that I love - the speed of the finished product (on iOS at least)...

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@Japster said:

Was seriously considering Construct 2 / 3 a while ago too, until I heard that all targets used HTML5 wrappers.... The performance hit you'll see on that doesn't fill me with confidence, hence my concern for the GS web tool too, but hopefully native target support will remain - it's THE main thing GS has going for it that I love - the speed of the finished product (on iOS at least)...

Agree ,I would take GS lagging android performance over C3 any time , i bought a subscription and it was my biggest regret , i loved all the features and the flow of work but the end product performance ruins everything . Only added couple of sprites and followed some tutorials to make a simple platform game, couldn't even test it properly due to its performance on my android device + the publishing was painful. GS is way better with its native target support and easy publishing. The remote preview to test your game when developing with C3 is horrible too , it just opens google chrome on your device and you test the game on a google chrome website , the fps is not accurate. GS did a great job with its QR code scanner preview being native instead of that html5 on device crap.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187
    edited November 2017

Grass is not always greener on the other side.
    C3 has its issues.

I think if they could get GS web up and running and start adding the things people have been asking for years that would help. Losing creator will be hard. It’s actually pretty stable and quick. It rarely lags on my old 2012 MacBook. Running affinity designer, pixel edit and other stuff at the same time.

I assume 2018 will be fixing the WebGS. Just keeping everything functional will keep them busy. Anything added maybe mid 2019-2020. Google leaderboard added early 2020.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@Toque said:
    Grass is not always greener on the other side.
    C3 has its issues.

I think if they could get GS web up and running and start adding the things people have been asking for years that would help. Losing creator will be hard. It’s actually pretty stable and quick. It rarely lags on my old 2012 MacBook. Running affinity designer, pixel edit and other stuff at the same time.

I assume 2018 will be fixing the WebGS. Just keeping everything functional will keep them busy. Anything added maybe mid 2019-2020. Google leaderboard added early 2020.

...agreed on the first bits, and unfortunately, agree (but not happy with if it actually comes to pass) the timescale on the last part of your post.... Sad that even those guestimates ^^^ seem a little too optimistic mate... :frowning: