Ventilating

Simple Gamer ArtsSimple Gamer Arts Member, PRO Posts: 302
edited December 2017 in Working with GS (Mac)

I have a great game on my hands... it's pretty much done...

But I feel like giving up... I can't get the pause to work right and it just kills everything I have done... I've tried other methods and it just gets worst... I don't trust anyone to look at my project for help... I have like 100 game attributes... I've lost track of what is what, kind of... I don't understand how game programmers do it... Anyways... just ventilating... I fix one thing and like 10 other things show up and it gets to be overwhelming and for what at the end... anyways... Love and hate game salad... #nolightatheendofthetunnel

It's like little redundant things that mess the whole thing up... I tried doing a custom pause, I did it the right way with tutorial and everything... but when I press pause, it's as if the device put the breaks but left skid marks because the pause button scoots a couple of pixels to the left and everything just stalls up and it's one great mess... anyways... I'll just go back to the pause button but won't have control of the SOUND, because apparently when you turn off sound and then unpause, some of the sound comes right back 5 seconds later in the middle of the game for NO apparent reason... so it's stuff like that, that has no explanation whatsoever that makes one want to give up... I checked EVERYTHING... anyways...

Plus, I forgot to save another version.... moderator,,, you can delete this post... I'm just ventilating.

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@thevoxpty said:
    I don't trust anyone to look at my project for help...

While I understand: that's actually an issue. It's often really hard to help anyone (especially with a bigger, complicated project) without them trusting you, since it can be near impossible to resolve a problem without seeing the logic. Even more so if the logic is spread across several actors. Could be a logic problem, could be a layering issue. If you want help without showing your project to anyone, try to at least isolate the problematic actors (you can do that by trial and error), delete others and the art and at least share that. If even that is too much, a screenshot of the logic and a video of the issue. And if you aren't willing to share even that, then getting specific help to your project is like winning the lottery; literally. The odds aren't good.

@thevoxpty said:
    I have like 100 game attributes... I've lost track of what is what, kind of... I don't understand how game programmers do it... Anyways... just ventilating... I fix one thing and like 10 other things show up

That's the nature of software development, whether in GS or otherwise. If you are making a larger project, always name your rules and attributes as well as you can, even if that means a longer name. If you have a logic block that says Change Attribute instead of Update Player Health (for example), you are shooting yourself in the foot. Secondly, if the project is really large or complicated (though you can do it for smaller projects as well), write a developer's manual as you go along. Documentation goes a long way. You can draw schematics with the flow of logic, describe how each attribute is used in an actor etc. It is easiest to do while you develop, but you can build it later, too, by retracing your steps through the logic. It's not a habit I'd suggest, but is useable if you have an undocumented project where it's become a mess.

@thevoxpty said:
    It's like little redundant things that mess the whole thing up... I tried doing a custom pause, I did it the right way with tutorial and everything...

Tutorials, like help without sharing enough information, are really hit and miss on larger projects. You have to remember that a lot of the logic blocks will interact, throwing one spanner after another into the works. Especially a pause behaviour, since that probably needs to interact with every single active actor.

• Simple Gamer ArtsSimple Gamer Arts Member, PRO Posts: 302
    edited December 2017

Thank you for that @pHghost . Today is a new day and am feeling up for the battle. I think I had a gamer-melt-down last night. Yes, you do bring up logical points and perhaps I could resort to that, deleting the key/art elements that make the game unique so I can get help.

Thanks for the programming tips (I'll take notes of that) and responding my meltdown rant. I feel today shall be better.

Yea, that's true, not just gamesalad, but all programming programs must be tedious as well.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Most of my bugs relate to an attribute. I try and resolve but sometimes I declare that attribute “corrupt”. Make a new one and just redo that part of the logic.

Sometimes I used a constrain instead of a change attribute. I used a every instead of after. Sometimes it’s not a bug but my logic.

Sometimes I make a new project and test the logic in isolation.