Need "One on One" help-session to UPLOAD game to Google Play... I'LL PAY

Simple Gamer ArtsSimple Gamer Arts Member, PRO Posts: 302

Creating a game that makes it big... PEACE OF CAKE.

Uploading that game to Google Play or any other digital store... harder than life...

Just needed to get that out there because NO ONE has said anything like this and I wanted to know if I'm the only one that finds uploading a game the most TEDIOUS challenging thing on earth to the point where I want to give up all those hard months of learning coding and photoshop and art and creating... WHY THE HECK IS IT SO TOUGH TO UPLOAD A GAME???

I need a helping hand... it's too much. I need like a one on one SKYPE session so you can educate me on this, I don't know... I haven't found a useful tutorial for this sort of thing... the people that explain these act as if I know the terminology and yes I look up the terms and it gets worst because every term opens up a can of 10 other terms I have no idea what they mean... It's TOO MUCH... Someone needs to make this uploading a little more user friendly... I'm great for art and many other things... I'm the dumbest moo on earth when it comes to uploading a game to a digital store... GEEZUs

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Can you actually describe which part of the process you are struggling with? What have you done so far? What got you stuck? Hard to help you otherwise.

• Simple Gamer ArtsSimple Gamer Arts Member, PRO Posts: 302
    edited December 2017

@pHghost I'm at the part where I'm signing my APK... but I don't know if I did things right before that... you know what I mean? Like there is a part where it asks minimum level of SDK... I had to look up SDK, for like 10 mins or more and still could't understand ANYTHING... I put 11 just to put a number... Then it asks for a background loading screen, but it's vertical... my game is horizontal... so whatever, I put a vertical one...

I don't know what signing an APK means, what's it's purpose... etc ect... I don;t know what an unsigned one is used for... can I play this? is this the file that I play in my android?? You know? I need like a guide that explains it to me in "PUBLISHING for DUMMIES" terms.

I chose AdMob because it seems to be popular... did I do it right? I don't know... it gave me 2 codes... one where I supposedly put it in the game (God knows how that's done)... etc ect.

edited December 2017

Funny thing, I've tried tutorials on youtube... it only gets worst... within the first 10 seconds, I have to look up crazy things I have no idea and I can't even find... download SDK on the Andriod Developer site? I tried... no successs... that's just the first 10 seconds of an 11 minute tutorial...

edited December 2017

@pHghost Realistically, I could tell you where I'm stuck, but it's just 1 out of 50 obstacles to come in this whole "publishing to Google Play" gig (I've heard it's 10 times worst for App Store)... I will need a one on one for this one... this truly needs a more friendly user "publishing for dummies" guide or article... Every guide out there assumes the user knows the terminology and all the little marginal details that come before hand... it's endless man... creating a game and publishing the game are 2 different ball games. One, you need a brain and the other you need a brain with a PHD

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

PHD brains struggle with it too. Trust me.

• firaxofiraxo Member Posts: 11

Update to Pro first, Google has a one time $25 registration fee which you need to pay before you can upload an upload games or app, and set up AdMob and ChartBoost etc., as needed.

Then generate the APKs, which you can test with ads as well (if you link it all correctly).

edited December 2017

@firaxo Thanks, but I already upgraded to PRO, already payed the $25 fee, kind of set up AdMob... got to the part where I'm signing an APK and it went straight to hell there... what in heavens name do I do with this?

edited December 2017

Thanks @-Timo- , I am trying this out but many parts do not coincide,,, for instance in TERMINAL, it does not prompt me to create password... it doesn't look like what the directions say... so everything has come to a complete halt... and I'm only 20% of the way...

Before that as well, I had to download Android Studio because the sole file of Android SDK manager did not open,,, it said deprecated.. I looked that up... it just says to download Android Studio... I did that but don't know what to do with it if you know what I mean... as you can see... if one is not a programer, this is all greek to thee. I honestly do not know what to do.

Anybody for hire? I'll offer $50 for a one on one session via SKYPE to publish my game to Google Play.

edited December 2017

GameSalad invites the non-programmers to make games... but what happens when you get to the "PUBLISHING" part? There has to be some service (one on one) to help non-programmers out. Forget about just following directions, it's beyond a non-programmer.

I've used GameSalad for like 2 years or more and I'm an intermediate user; capable of following tutorials, researching and deciphering codes that do X thing (to certain extent) etc etc... but this Publishing thing is beyond me.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

You make some good points and you are certainly not alone!
    A publishing guide for dummies would be a great idea.

I also struggle to understand the logic of downloading the Android SDK's/API's/Java, do we need them all? why? exactly when and how are they used? Is it purely for the signing process? etc...etc...

I've muddled my way through to a working solution and know how to get the process done, all without fully understanding it or being able to find out the answers I need.

I've posted on here before and also to the GameSalad team with no meaningful response. I wonder if anyone really understands all this stuff?!!!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Simple Gamer Arts said:
    if one is not a programer, this is all greek to thee

This has actually very little to do with programming skill.

Unfortunately, setting up to publish on Android is a massive PITA. The Apple setup has it's own problems, too, but at least it's a bit more intuitive and you don't have to download a whole SDK just to use one silly file (and then you can delete the rest of it).

@Simple Gamer Arts said:
    GameSalad invites the non-programmers to make games... but what happens when you get to the "PUBLISHING" part? There has to be some service (one on one) to help non-programmers out.

This is absolutely not GameSalad's fault. Yes, unfortunately, it can be hard to get any help with this process from GS, beyond the cookbook. But at the end of the day, you have to remember that this part is a process designed and required by Google itself, not something GameSalad made up, so logically, GS cannot be held responsible for it. All the other aspects of using GS are tailored to be as easy as possible for non-coders, but this is simply forced on them.

The screenshot you sent:

Basically you need to generate the KeyStore and set a password for it. Until you do that, you ain't getting any further, so don't bother reading tutorials about what comes after at this point in time. If the GS tutorials aren't helping, look for tutorials on Google's sites. This is the part where the file you are generating exists to authenticate with the Google Play Store, and has nothing to do with GameSalad itself. Once you have that file, let us know and we can help take this a step further.

Ok, @Armelline has come to my rescue with a one on one session; I suggest others out there to request his help/service if you're having issues with publishing. There was no way I was getting through it on my own. - We stumbled upon a number of minuscule issues that if one does not have that extra "KNOW HOW" background, in computer terms, you won't triumph... or at least you'll lose an arm before making it happen.

@pHghost I read you, and yes, certain publishing aspects are out of GS's control, and to make it worst, sometimes the method is updated and tutorials become outdated as well... but oh well. One on One is the way to go. Thanks for the post.

@strag good to know I'm not alone lol.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Definitely not alone. I spent about 8 hours trying to get iOS publishing to work. Continually re-creating certificates, etc. in an extremely frustrating process. Glad you're getting the help you needed!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Thanks @tatiang , it's truly is a tough cookie.

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458

Mind filling us in...? Or do I also have to pay to learn this? XD
    I am not even trying to do this at the moment, but it would be nice to have a thread to come to if I ever do want to upload to android. :smile:

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

There is a lot of trial & error in the whole process. Once you've got google play going its very easy (compared to iOS).

The google process only needs you to make one certificate ever, your publishers keystore.

iOS requires you to make at least two certificates a year, then at least two certificates per app per year as well?!

It is never fun & when your uploading, you never know if its going to work (even less confidence recently with all the GS issues).