Tables from server not being updated but callback is pinging

fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565
edited December 2017 in Working with GS (PC)

Hi Guys, Hope ya'll can help me out. I have been working on using Gamesparks for online leaderboards and multiplayer etc. Using @adriangomez 's tutorial. Now beyond the fact the GS preview doesn't connect to the server which means I can only test with apk on the phone I have one major problem. I have two projects- both with same code but one does not retrieve the table whilst the other does. Both have their callback correctly pinging back so I know its connecting but one manages to connect and update the table whilst the other does not even when I have copy and pasted the code from the working project to the none-working one. I was hoping ya'll can help me find out why that is. I've enabled external server under networking so its not that. Attached is both projects. In Leaderboard2 the table is being populated. In GSTester it is not.

Comments

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

anyone?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

I've not tried non-Appformative networking for a long time, but from what I'm aware, the two tables need to be literally the same table, down to the underlying IDs for the networking to treat them like the same table. Copy the working project, rebuild the non-working one in that, and try again. Simply naming the tables the same isn't enough.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@Armelline unfortunately the non-working project is basically finished. These were testers I created to add leaderboard functionality. I'd normally use appformative but this was for NGO with no funds to pay for bells and whistles so I was trying out options. So no way I can have the table be read by the server as the same (copied completely)?

I had thought that as long as the url was correct then that was fine. As in the url acted as a key to grant access to the data. Curious, would creating another table all together in the server and have that linked with the finished project sort this problem out?

Lastly, does this mean

@Armelline said:
    the two tables need to be literally the same table, down to the underlying IDs for the networking to treat them like the same table.

that you cannot have 2 different apps refer to the same table?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

When data is pulled from one app, from let's say table "DataStore" with the table ID 656433 under the hood, the app that pulls the data needs to pull the data to a table called "DataStore with the table ID 656433 under the hood. If you make two different projects, the two table IDs will be different. I'm not sure if this is needed for non-Appformative applications, but my limited understanding is that this is a limitation of GameSalad's networking. It expects the same table to receive the data as sent it. This is true of Appformative, but as I say I cannot confirm if it's true for other uses.

If the non-working project is the bigger one, perhaps do it the other way around. Copy the bigger project, strip everything but the table out, and rebuild the networking stuff in that project.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

If you are a bit adept with XML, you can also edit the table ID of the non-working table to be the same as the table ID of the working one.