Bye Bye GS

pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211

Hi guys it was nice with GS in these years but i decided not to renew the subscription this year.

I have produced a lot of nice games with GS but in the last year I have not really seen anything that makes me think that GS can grow or improve itself in the short term.

Probably i will make a monthly subscriptions when i need to update the games and in the meantime i will look around to find something better.

Greetings to all and maybe tomorrow i will return full on GS if necessary.

Comments

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Sad to hear @pinkio75 but I feel your pain. It tough right now with no clear future. Stay in touch.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Yep, sad to hear you are off too Pinkio! But like I said to Jasper I can see why.

" . . . in the last year I have not really seen anything that makes me think that GS can grow or improve itself in the short term"

I hope their education push works out for them, but from what I can see the development side of things doesn't look bright.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@pinkio75 - Sorry to hear it's come to this for you too mate - I just wish I could turn the clock back 2-3 years, be the 'ghost of GS future' and maybe give them a good slap to gently nudge them in the ethically right direction to support their paying users/product (and this is without even mentioning the splurges - stupid gold fedora hats, magnums of champagne every day, and Prima Donna mentalities, to keep coders happy, instead of possibly investing in new talent - it would have certainly have paid off by now, that's for sure), and everyone might have been happy.

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211

Thank you @Socks

many mistakes and a policy for their interests can not lead to anything good for us...
    and these are the results...

Almost all the big ones are leaving this platform and their looking for something reliable and functional... like Unity, Stencyl, Construct etc etc... the words are the same...

I do not forget the graphene parenthesis that had to defeat everything engines and instead died before being born...

I can not find the words to comment better the situation...

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited December 2017

@pinkio75 said:
    I do not forget the graphene parenthesis that had to defeat everything engines and instead died before being born...

It all seems to die before being born for some reason ? Remember the Lua-free engine, trumpeted as the great breakthrough, GS resources poured into it, months of work, lots of excitement from the community . . . but then abandoned and left for dead . . . same deal with Graphene . . . again trumpeted as the great breakthrough, again lots of GS time and money poured into it, lots of excitement from the community . . . then again abandoned and left for dead . . . the New graphics engine, with Sprite sheets and much faster rendering, lots of work done, lots of community discussion and excitement . . . then the project is abandoned and left for dead . . . and Spline support and HTML and Networking and (etc etc etc year after year after year) . . . . same deal each time, lots of money and time put into these new and exciting developments only to see them abandoned or left in a state of unusable disrepair . . . . and meanwhile the core product, the thing that they sell, after nearly 10 years, still hasn't got snap to grid or zoom, multiple select or expression driven sound selection or . . . .

Imagine if all the time and money and effort and programming and late nights and coffee and coding . . . that was poured into the Lua-free engine and Graphene and HTML and networking and Sprite sheets and all the ad networks that were eventually abandoned and the new and improved Graphics engine (etc etc) over the last decade was concentrated and focused on Creator, the actual product they sell, image the improvements we might have seen ?

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Socks said:
    still hasn't got snap to grid or zoom

I agree with what you are saying entirely, but a small secret: 1.25.83 has zoom. It was in one of the old beta versions that I was testing and then it quietly disappeared. Now it's back and woah is it useful!

Of course, all the other features you mention are nowhere to be seen.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited December 2017

@Socks said:

@pinkio75 said:

It all seems to die before being born for some reason ? Remember the Lua-free engine, trumpeted as the great breakthrough, GS resources poured into it, months of work, lots of excitement from the community . . . but then abandoned and left for dead . . . same deal with Graphene . . . again trumpeted as the great breakthrough, again lots of GS time and money poured into it, lots of excitement from the community . . . then again abandoned and left for dead . . . the New graphics engine, with Sprite sheets and much faster rendering, lots of work done, lots of community discussion and excitement . . . then the project is abandoned and left for dead . . . and Spline support and HTML and Networking and (etc etc etc year after year after year) . . . . same deal each time, lots of money and time put into these new and exciting developments only to see them abandoned or left in a state of unusable disrepair . . . . and meanwhile the core product, the thing that they sell, after nearly 10 years, still hasn't got snap to grid or zoom, multiple select or expression driven sound selection or . . . .

Imagine if all the time and money and effort and programming and late nights and coffee and coding . . . that was poured into the Lua-free engine and Graphene and HTML and networking and Sprite sheets and all the ad networks that were eventually abandoned and the new and improved Graphics engine (etc etc) over the last decade was concentrated and focused on Creator, the actual product they sell, image the improvements we might have seen ?

@Socks - This.... ^^^^^ Couldn't have put it better myself... PS - I did notice on another thread that the reason for the lack of the High Sierra fixed version has just been cited at "put aside as doing some web stuff instead"... Not sure what that means, other than some priorities seem to be messed up....

I see Construct it have many features that I wanted, jumped on Stencyl and even find them a competitive engine so i know that GS is simpler and more intuitive than these but now it is too old and not competitive compared to them....
    Probably in 2018 i will proceed with one of these 2 and as i said if i need to update from time to time my GS games i'll buy just a monthly subscription.

• Bowhill GamesBowhill Games Member Posts: 191

@pinkio75 i would strongly consider unity if you are serious about learning a games engine, this engine is widly used by indie and professional game design studios, its allready used in university degrees. What i mean is this tool isnt going anywhere for a very very long time if at all, its likly it will just continue to evolve over the years as the following and investment from huge game giants is truly impressive.

Tools like Construct and Stencyl are nice and like GS they have a place, but these tools never last or pick up a following that comes close to true game engine because they are two restrictive. These kind of tools truly have a miniscule following / backing when compared to a tool like unity.

(site currently under construction)
  • pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Beware of Construct. It looks great, but it doesn’t actually produce native applications for mobile, as far as I am aware.

Ok and thanks for suggestions but i need a non coding engine i mean something like GS... and Unity use playmaker or bolt but is really hard to learn...

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313

@pinkio75 said:
    Ok and thanks for suggestions but i need a non coding engine i mean something like GS... and Unity use playmaker or bolt but is really hard to learn...

Why not try learning any coding language? I started with C# 1-2 months ago and now I am working on my first game in unity and it's going pretty good so far. The knowledge I got from gamesalad helped me a lot learning C# and I really would suggest you giving it a try. Now limits are base on my skills instead of the limits of the engine.