Well I'm not going...

ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Though I seem to be the only one :D I was here on day 1 and I intend to be here on the final day of GS.

Good luck to all those moving on, though! Many of you have given GS more patience than they perhaps deserve.

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I'm still around, but clearly not very active. I like to keep up to date on what's going on at least.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited December 2017

Same here, daily. :)

Sticking around, supporting larger projects behind the scene, though not involved as much on the forums because -

the good thing in GS advancing only slightly faster than the speed of plate tectonics -

is that most questions have been answered in a multitude of ways on these forums over the past years. One just needs to search.

Also wishing those that need to move on all the best, and fully understand their reasons.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Yeah my pro lasts till July so I am waiting it out here. Will decide at that point.
    Im not too excited about the new engine as it functions now. Hopefully it will be greatly improved by this summer......

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited December 2017

Sticking it out to the end for me B)
    Or at least for a long while.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Same here. Me and my business partner subscribed for another year of GS around Thanksgiving, so I’ll be around at least until the fall of 2018.

What happens then we’ll see. I’m exploring various avenues and we have definitely talked seriously with my business partner about our options to be viable as a game/app business. At this point, past finishing projects that are well underway, GS is unfortunately probably not in that equation. We are not huge fans of the Web Creator. But maybe something actually WILL change with GS in that year (though I’m not betting on it).

I’ll surely still stick around the Forums though for some time, while there is any life left here. :heartbreak:

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

If I'm honest I'm only hanging on because of the amount of years I've invested in this product.

Although my heart is still with GameSalad as it offered me a foot in the door, my head is screaming 'look elsewhere', as I really don't think they value the developer community and they are trying to let us down gently.

Bit like when a girlfriend say's 'it's not you, it's me'.

edited December 2017

@strag said:
    I'm only hanging on because of the amount of years I've invested

Is that the definition of a being in a cult? :trollface:

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@strag said:

:D close @strag, it's more like crossing to the other side of the street when you see them coming.

'cultist: a member of an unorthodox cult who generally lives outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader'

'outside of conventional society' - yep!
    'under the direction of a charismatic leader' - don't make me laugh!!!

@Hopscotch said:

@strag said:

:D close @strag, it's more like crossing to the other side of the street when you see them coming.

Haha! Yep, that's more like it!;)

@pHghost said:

@strag said:
    I'm only hanging on because of the amount of years I've invested

Is that the definition of a being in a cult? :trollface:

Hey cults are great fun. Funny hats, sining, game jams..... let the cult flourish.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@Armelline said:
    Though I seem to be the only one :D I was here on day 1 and I intend to be here on the final day of GS.

Good luck to all those moving on, though! Many of you have given GS more patience than they perhaps deserve.

Thanks @Armelline - I can honestly say that without your excellent help and tutorials helping me out, I'd definitely not have been here by now - it's only the community and community help that kept me on GS as long as it has, despite the disgraceful, constantly broken state of the product.

So fair play, and take care fella - you've been an inspiration to me, and I have the greatest respect for you. I do however, wonder just how long (short?) that 'Final Day' might be away at this rate. Like I say, I LOVE GS Creator, I just HATE what they're doing to it, in terms of both their direction and near constant neglect (with spurious occasional fixes)...

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

I wasn't here on Day 1 but I too, am not going anywhere, Whilst I don't really like the new web engine in its current form, I have always loved GS and hope that they will pull this around. The most disappointing thing I see is GS just burying their head in the sand and not looking after the current, semi stable version. They promised to keep that stable whilst working on the web version but instead seem to keep breaking it without any consideration for the thousands of users including those like myself who use the software as a profession. I think its this lack of support for the current creator is the reason why many are losing faith in the software.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

I agree. I've been using Gamesalad 6+ years now and won't be walking away just yet (at least not completely anyway!).

Saying that, my next game will be built using another game software due to the current state of Gamesalad and my fear that us developers are no longer a concern in its future development. If necessary I'll have to think about rebuilding my better performing games with a new engine too.

Hopefully things will pickup, current projects can be maintained and updated when needed, and maybe I'll even feel confident enough to return and build new games with GS in future too.

Until then I'll be watching and waiting... and hoping!

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

I´m still here too!
    GS team, you have our support, in return, we need from your side: that the tool works in a stable manner and that the communication always flows :) (periods of silence encourage paranoia and disagreement)
    Happy New Year! :)

• kobayaashikobayaashi Member, PRO Posts: 143

I've been using GS on and off for 5 yrs or so, and have been watching the latest exodus unfold with a touch of dread, and also a little guilt. Dread, because I wonder what will happen if the exodus reaches a tipping point, and GS quietly slips away into the great binary afterlife; guilt, because I've had hardly any issues using GS.

I should explain : I don't make complicated games. Most of mine are simple puzzles (Sujiko, Suko etc.), with a few simple games thrown in (Hot Spots, Bubblz). As such, GS has performed perfectly well for me, and the community has been amazing. People are willing to help one another as we struggle to figure out how to get actor A to do thing B, and others go above and beyond, creating helpful videos which educate and inspire.

I enjoy using GS to create. I don't really make much money, and that's not my goal - I'm more of a hobbyist, and as such, I appreciate that the demands and requirements of those who build in a professional capacity are widely different.

I don't say this to brag, while others are clearly having many issues with GS in one way or another, but merely to offer a counter-story. I've found GS very intuitive to use, and have access to a wealth of information created by GS itself, and the wider community. I'm hoping that GS (and its wider community) can continue, grow and thrive. It would be a shame for all that this has been to be lost.

I've said my piece, thanks for listening. :smile:

edited December 2017

@kobayaashi said:

I could of wrote the exact same thing. I’ve also had very few issues with creator. It’s brought a lot of fun to my life.

My biggest concern is the new engine and future. Honestly and simply I would describe it as underwhelming and puzzling. It’s in beta so hoping it’s in a cacoon stage and a miracle will emerge.

Do I continue with the new engine that I find frustrating or go through the frustration of learning a new engine? I prefer to stay!

I have enough good will left and pro till July to see how it ends up.

I understand why people leave. The best way to keep people would be a beautiful, improved, new features added engine!!!!

edited December 2017

@kobayaashi said:
    I've been using GS on and off for 5 yrs or so, and have been watching the latest exodus unfold with a touch of dread, and also a little guilt. Dread, because I wonder what will happen if the exodus reaches a tipping point, and GS quietly slips away into the great binary afterlife; guilt, because I've had hardly any issues using GS.

I should explain : I don't make complicated games. Most of mine are simple puzzles (Sujiko, Suko etc.), with a few simple games thrown in (Hot Spots, Bubblz). As such, GS has performed perfectly well for me, and the community has been amazing. People are willing to help one another as we struggle to figure out how to get actor A to do thing B, and others go above and beyond, creating helpful videos which educate and inspire.

I enjoy using GS to create. I don't really make much money, and that's not my goal - I'm more of a hobbyist, and as such, I appreciate that the demands and requirements of those who build in a professional capacity are widely different.

I don't say this to brag, while others are clearly having many issues with GS in one way or another, but merely to offer a counter-story. I've found GS very intuitive to use, and have access to a wealth of information created by GS itself, and the wider community. I'm hoping that GS (and its wider community) can continue, grow and thrive. It would be a shame for all that this has been to be lost.

I've said my piece, thanks for listening. :smile:

@kobayaashi - Fair enough mate, you've been lucky - you may not have anything waiting to publish at this point, or published recently, and 2-3 years ago I was where you seem to be now - making simpler apps, just having fun creating games, getting used to the product, but since then SO many things have been broken, HUGE things, like publishing, ad integration etc, so even if you're just a casual user, if you'd tried to publish recently that was broken too, as a result of trying to fix other stuff, and my apps (my most recent one especially) are pretty complex and 'busy' for want of a better term, so I'm seeing more showstopping issues than some I guess...

I felt like you seem to now, a couple of years ago - possibly/sometimes affected, but willing to give chance after chance, always optimistic, until eventually the constant issues made my development plain grind to a halt. I believe that the only time that GOOD change comes about here (essential fixes, etc) is as a result of 2-3 months mass angry action or input on the forums, or people leaving in droves, like now, and really, that's not an acceptable solution when you're paying daily for the privilege of using this CONSTANTLY broken, out-of-date, and badly maintained/woefully under-supported product.

I've torn my hair out for 3+ months now, on issues that were definitely NOT to do with my app, but with GameSalad - hell, it took weeks and weeks before anyone even responded, then longer for someone to confirm that, erm... yeah... it's a problem with GS ADS integration / out of date SDK's. ALL of them - not one had been updated / maintained since the ad providers had updated them, so... broken. Across the board. Likewise, High Sierra - you're probably lucky and haven't upgraded (I've learnt not to do so either, given GS's reputation for not keeping up with OS changes/requirements), but if you had have, you'd be living with all sorts of problems JUST to use it, adding attributes, then deleting attributes, JUST to be able to see existing ones, so potentially breaking your project or crashing Creator, until the fix eventually appears. ...and apparently it wasn't delivered yet again, because it was taken a break from, to do 'Web Stuff'...

You probably will feel pretty forgiving then, as you're fairly okay as regards being affected by this, but trust me, after the 50th / 100th / etc instance of finding it broken to the point I have to put stuff on hold or try to pass the time by creating other projects just to keep from exploding about the timescale (either by lack of maintenance, or actually because the new fixed versions also contain huge new bugs) or being ignored and no fix forthcoming for weeks, sometimes months, sometimes YEARS (and I'm not exaggerating), you'll eventually reach the point a lot of us have... (It's why I also have a folder on my PC of over a dozen WIP projects in various states - constant putting my current ones on hold, while awaiting fixes - ie - you can't publish, ain't nothing you can do about that! - same with Ads or IAP's being broken when you're trying to re-coup some of the money spent on subs, plug-ins/supporting apps, equipment, Developer licences, etc... If they don't work, you can't release and monetise... :frowning: ...AND you risk peeing off your potential user base, and/or giving them unlimited IAPs for free etc, as has recently happened!

...in the meantime, I honestly hope you get a chance to realise your dreams during the rare points that it's all (generally) working as expected. I'm currently affected by an issue where working around the long-standing camera issue seems to be affecting touch controls, and so my current game is once again in limbo/unreleasable without yet more quick 'n' dirty code to workaround the workaround for this almost YEAR-LONG issue, and in truth, I've given up hacking my app to work around yet another showstopper. :frowning:

• kobayaashikobayaashi Member, PRO Posts: 143

I feel for you, @Japster - I know I'm lucky, that as a hobbyist, these issues affect me less than they do those who's income relies on GS working as professional software. I didn't mean to demean the suffering caused by GS deficiencies to those who plough months of work into a project, only to face too many insurmountable obstacles along the way.

I hope GS understand why there is so much anger and frustration within this community, and that they have the ability and the resources to solve the issues which affect their paying customers, for all of our sakes.

I wish you all the best, and hope that 2018 leaves you trouble-free. :smile:

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

I'm still here too!

edited December 2017

@kobayaashi said:
    I feel for you, @Japster - I know I'm lucky, that as a hobbyist, these issues affect me less than they do those who's income relies on GS working as professional software. I didn't mean to demean the suffering caused by GS deficiencies to those who plough months of work into a project, only to face too many insurmountable obstacles along the way.

I hope GS understand why there is so much anger and frustration within this community, and that they have the ability and the resources to solve the issues which affect their paying customers, for all of our sakes.

I wish you all the best, and hope that 2018 leaves you trouble-free. :smile:

@kobayaashi - absolutely mate, and no worries, I know you didn't, never took it as such! - just I'd figured it was better to better spell out why it's come to the crux.... :frowning:

I've given GS soooo many chances to sort stuff out, and it literally just seems to be one thing after another, and always, ALWAYS re-active / retrospective fixes (if any appear), never pro-active, timely, preventative maintainence. Apple's demands as regards icons? - maybe could have been implemented as a none-knee-jerk reaction, given that there MUST have been some information regarding this change, beforehand?

...the same with HS compatibility, ads integration, IAP, etc, and sometimes when we even get the 'fix' (and it doesn't work or breaks publishing altogether), it's obvious that not even a single test has been done at GS to notice that it doesn't work, or that it breaks essential functionality.... sigh....

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

@Armelline said:

Same here!

GameSalad is a great little product! But the development "team" is relatively small at the moment and it takes a while for all those little 'gotchas' that creep into a product to get addressed. I certainly understand the need for others to move on -- its gonna happen and it should happen when a user outgrows / moves beyond the capabilities of product.

But for me -- GameSalad still fits the bill nicely!

edited December 2017

@RThurman said:

@Armelline said:

Same here!

GameSalad is a great little product! But the development "team" is relatively small at the moment and it takes a while for all those little 'gotchas' that creep into a product to get addressed. I certainly understand the need for others to move on -- its gonna happen and it should happen when a user outgrows / moves beyond the capabilities of product.

But for me -- GameSalad still fits the bill nicely!

@RThurman - I have the utmost / greatest respect for you mate, and I'm constantly amazed at the awesome stuff you add here, but let's get this straight and paint it right...

It's not 'outgrowing' the product, and I'm certainly not moving beyond the capabilities of it - it's literally down to being broken time and time again, and, in this case, it's yet another 'everything grinds to a halt as it's not been fixed yet' type major income-affecting frustration.

I understand that you're being diplomatic, and I commend you for it, BUT, it's really NOT about people moving on after having outgrown GS - it's about frustration caused by a 2+ year old bug (I initially thought it was reported in Feb 2017, turns out it was initially flagged in 2014 (!?!)) that is literally, once again, stopping people from releasing their games for fear of committing commercial suicide via a sea of very vocal 1-star reviews and peed off users!

So in short, I'd MUCH rather keep on using GS, but as usual not a single word has been said from themselves about investigating or fixing this latest game-breaking bug - THESE are the reasons that most of the leavers are leaving, NOTHING to do with outgrowing it...

Like I say mate, I've never had a reason to disagree with you in the past (and I look up to you if I'm honest!), but this I have to...

In fact, I'd add that surely it would be more beneficial for everyone, if no-one sugar-coats the situation, and trusted users (other than myself and several others already confirming this issue is affecting them) step up and make their concerns known, if it's affecting them - otherwise it negatively diverts/dulls the impact of what really is a major, MAJOR bug that pretty much really needs fixing yesterday...

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

@Japster -- I did not mean to imply that I was addressing your concerns/frustrations with my above "same here" comment. I was just writing in general. But I see that replying so close to your comments probably felt like I was trying to address your concerns.

I am truly sorry that you are so frustrated with GameSalad. I do understand where you are coming from, and I can only hope that GS-HQ will address the issues you bring up.

I guess there are two things that live side by side:

One is outgrowing GS. There are certainly new features that are taking years to appear and might never actually happen. When deciding what tool I'm using, I see what it can do and adjust my expectations. I won't try building a MMORPG with GameSalad and then complain about the lack of online features. If I really want to build something GS cannot do, I'll move that project to a new platform.

Secondly -- and that's the current case -- game breaking bugs. That's not a matter of outgrowing GS. It's features that are supposedly there bugging out and otherwise not working as they should. This is really critical and there is no excuse.

edited December 2017

@RThurman said:
    @Japster -- I did not mean to imply that I was addressing your concerns/frustrations with my above "same here" comment. I was just writing in general. But I see that replying so close to your comments probably felt like I was trying to address your concerns.

I am truly sorry that you are so frustrated with GameSalad. I do understand where you are coming from, and I can only hope that GS-HQ will address the issues you bring up.

@RThurman - Ahh.. Thanks mate, appreciated, and thanks for clarifying, cheers - I did think it odd!...

Yep, regarding this BIG bug, me too - I've sat here, completely unable to get past this, for a while now, on top of everything else - I (and others) just need it fixing asap... :frowning:

edited December 2017

@pHghost said:
    I guess there are two things that live side by side:

One is outgrowing GS. There are certainly new features that are taking years to appear and might never actually happen. When deciding what tool I'm using, I see what it can do and adjust my expectations. I won't try building a MMORPG with GameSalad and then complain about the lack of online features. If I really want to build something GS cannot do, I'll move that project to a new platform.

Secondly -- and that's the current case -- game breaking bugs. That's not a matter of outgrowing GS. It's features that are supposedly there bugging out and otherwise not working as they should. This is really critical and there is no excuse.

Couldn't have said it better myself @pHghost, and thanks for interjecting - as regards the former, I have to admit, when it's working, GS is MORE than capable of being up to the task, for ALL of my current WIP projects - It's actually (again, when it's working) a more than capable, powerful game creation system (albeit admittedly with a clunky, limited UI etc) - and it's the 'none-working' bit that's what makes it SO frustrating... :frowning:

I've personally taken a look at what I'm trying to achieve, and started projects with a view to ensuring that they ARE possible in GS - I've not quite reached a level where I'm happy to jump ship, given the time investment I've put into learning GS's nuance's - just that I feel I HAVE to, when things are so broken and disengaged.

As regards the latter, let's hope that they're working on it as we speak, but with no official engagement or any indication whatsoever, I can only assume that they're not... :frowning:

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

I’m here if anyone even still knows me haha! Still paying for pro even thou progress on my games have been slow this year I’m almost done with one this next few weeks :) I’m still enjoying GS but I’ve also learnt a new “very commercial” engine this past year

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@jay2dx said:
    I’m here if anyone even still knows me haha! Still paying for pro even thou progress on my games have been slow this year I’m almost done with one this next few weeks :) I’m still enjoying GS but I’ve also learnt a new “very commercial” engine this past year

that new engine being what? Godot?

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@fmakawa said:

that new engine being what? Godot?

I'd guess BuildBox?

BuildBox makes cookie-cutter apps but many have had huge success on the App Store.

Trey Smith also looks after his customers and his staff. I've been following him for over 6 years now, since about as long as I have been using GS.

He also knows how to market and promote their own apps and teaches his customers how to do that too.

However, subscription will frighten you if your not well-heeled and business minded.