Issues during ad-hoc testing (splash screen and menu)

I'm experiencing a number of issues with a project I've been working on that I have recently started testing. One issue is that the custom splash screen I made and used in the publishing page isn't working the way I'd like it to. First off when I launch the app the splash screen is in a portrait position and then rotates to a landscape one despite the fact that the rest of the app is landscape, also it only appears for less than a second barley allowing any time for my logo to appear.

The second issue I'm experiencing is that my game's menu works fine on a device with a smaller screen that I tested it on. (It fills up the whole screen). But on a device with a larger screen, it fills up the screen only partially, with the rest of the screen being black.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer with these issues.
Thanks.

Comments

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited January 2018

@mallenmatt64 said:
    I'm experiencing a number of issues with a project I've been working on that I have recently started testing. One issue is that the custom splash screen I made and used in the publishing page isn't working the way I'd like it to. First off when I launch the app the splash screen is in a portrait position and then rotates to a landscape one despite the fact that the rest of the app is landscape, also it only appears for less than a second barley allowing any time for my logo to appear.

The second issue I'm experiencing is that my game's menu works fine on a device with a smaller screen that I tested it on. (It fills up the whole screen). But on a device with a larger screen, it fills up the screen only partially, with the rest of the screen being black.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer with these issues.
    Thanks.

Known issues I'm afraid - been around for longer than is acceptable... The menu moving partially off-screen can be 'bodged' to work by resetting the camera X/Y origin to 0,0, etc, after your game has loaded, but the splash screen, not yet afaik....

Sorry I've no better news for you, but at present there are even bigger issues with GameSalad, like not registering touches outside the inner screen area... :frowning:

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@mallenmatt64 said:
    But on a device with a larger screen, it fills up the screen only partially, with the rest of the screen being black.

That depends how you set it up on publishing. You can stretch, overscan, or letterbox. You have probably selected the third one, thus it is letterboxes if the screen ratio is not the same as your project is set up.

@pHghost said:

@mallenmatt64 said:
    But on a device with a larger screen, it fills up the screen only partially, with the rest of the screen being black.

That depends how you set it up on publishing. You can stretch, overscan, or letterbox. You have probably selected the third one, thus it is letterboxes if the screen ratio is not the same as your project is set up.

Ahh... @pHghost - good point mate - I'm so used to the bugs now, I didn't think it might be a legit setting issue... :wink:

• mallenmatt64mallenmatt64 Member, PRO Posts: 18

@Japster said:

@pHghost said:

@mallenmatt64 said:

Ahh... @pHghost - good point mate - I'm so used to the bugs now, I didn't think it might be a legit setting issue... :wink:

I've tried overscan, letterbox and stretch but it's still the same result, it's not like the menu is surrounded by black it's off the screen in the bottom right corner (if that makes sense). The only way I can seem to get it working is if I launch the app from landscape but this would be an extremely annoying user experience so I'd really like to find a reliable fix. It seems that when it auto rotates to left landscape it bugs out. When I turn off autorotate it doesn't break but the game is designed to be played in landscape so that isn't very reliable either.

I tried your fix @Japster but I don't know how I can edit the scene camera's origin using the "change attribute" function or anything similar. I'd really appreciate it if you could elaborate on that fix. I really appreciate the help regardless, thanks to you both.

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

I believe you need to unlock an actor in the scene in order to access the scene camera.

@Adrenaline said:
    I believe you need to unlock an actor in the scene in order to access the scene camera.

Thanks, I set it so that when the scene loads the origin is changed to (0,0) but my issue is persisting regardless, thanks for the help though.

@mallenmatt64 said:

@Adrenaline said:

Thanks, I set it so that when the scene loads the origin is changed to (0,0) but my issue is persisting regardless, thanks for the help though.

No worries, it doesn't work if you apply it straight away, sorry - I'd set a timer to run it a few times in the 1st second or so after loading your scene - that definitely works for me!

So for 1 second, have a timer that fires off every 0.1 seconds, resetting the camera - you should see it 'snap' back into place very quickly during loading... :smile: Hope that helps!

@mallenmatt64 said:
    I've tried overscan, letterbox and stretch but it's still the same result, it's not like the menu is surrounded by black it's off the screen in the bottom right corner (if that makes sense).

Umm... not really. Can you share a screenshot?

If to is the issue @Japster is mentioning, I usually use a rule:

IF scene.Camera.Origin.X ≠ 0, THEN:
    SET: scene.Camera.Origin.Y TO: 0
    SET: scene.Camera.Origin.X TO: 0

@pHghost said:
    If to is the issue @Japster is mentioning, I usually use a rule:

IF scene.Camera.Origin.X ≠ 0, THEN:
    SET: scene.Camera.Origin.Y TO: 0
    SET: scene.Camera.Origin.X TO: 0

Does this work at any point @pHghost ? - I find if I fire it off without waiting, I get nothing - still wrong. If I fire it off too late, it looks crap as it can be caught 'snapping' back into place. Hence I use the timer? - If your method seems to work as soon as you load your project, then great! - I'll give it a try... :smile:

@pHghost @Japster
    Unfortunately neither of these solutions seem to be working for me. Here's a screenshot of my issue if that helps:

Really appreciate the help.