Organising a workflow

scottwoodscottwood Member, PRO Posts: 68

I'm trying to sort out a reasonable workflow for my future projects. I’d like to combine ideas and resources from more than one template in my projects. The issues I’ve come across so far are outlined below. Any advice welcome.

1) "Window" option on toolbar
A tutorial I watched recently showed the Apple version of the creator had a "window" option on the main toolbar which seemed to allow multiple projects to be open at one time. This is not present on my PC version of the creator – I’m currently still in the trial period.
Does this allow game elements such as actors and rules to be copied between projects, when it is present?
Will this appear once I subscribe to the Pro version on PC?

2) Extensions/plugins
Are there any third party extensions/plugins available anywhere? I’ve found my way to the deep blue ideas site but their extensions are Apple only and also don’t seem to be supported/available any more.

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@scottwood said:
    Does this allow game elements such as actors and rules to be copied between projects, when it is present?

Yes. It's super practical. You can copy/paste things from one project to another. It isn't perfect, since you cannot copy over attributes (and if you make new ones, they will have a different ID), but still...

@scottwood said:
    Will this appear once I subscribe to the Pro version on PC?

No. As far as I know. Not sure why this is, maybe a Windows limitation?

@scottwood said:
    Are there any third party extensions/plugins available anywhere?

Not really. :(

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

People have mentioned opening multiple instances of GameSalad in Windows in order to open multiple projects simultaneously but I don't imagine that allows you to copy and paste anything between instances. I use a Mac so I haven't tried it in Windows.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• scottwoodscottwood Member, PRO Posts: 68

Thank you @pHghost for taking the time to consider the detail of my enquiry - very helpful. @tatiang, thank you also - with your experience I'm sure your guess will prove correct. I'll let you know if I find differently.
    The "windows" option is a common feature in windows programs, it's odd that they weren't able to sort this.
    Is it present on the web version?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

You can only have one project open at a time in the web version: https://creator.gamesalad.com. Of course, you could open multiple tabs with multiple projects but you couldn't then copy between them.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565
    edited January 2018

@tatiang said:
    People have mentioned opening multiple instances of GameSalad in Windows in order to open multiple projects simultaneously but I don't imagine that allows you to copy and paste anything between instances. I use a Mac so I haven't tried it in Windows.

@scottwood You can open multiple instances. To do that you have a copy a of gs on a flash drive and a copy on you hard drive. Open the second instance from the flash drive version. You can copy rules etc this way by using ctrl+c and pasting. No drag and drop.

edited January 2018

@tatiang Thanks, that's a great tip. I'll definitely give it a go.

@fmakawa What did you use to install GS on a USB.

I've tried using just using the installer as it is - but that just opens the copy on the hard drive. I've also tried installing a platform from portableapps.com on the USB, but that also fails to work.

I'm about to try using a thinapp create a virtualised application that will run on the USB, but it needs a totally fresh install of the OS and the process looks rather complicated and so prone to me messing it up. If you know of a better method I'd really appreciate your advice.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

How about if you just copy/paste the installation folder from your HDD to the USB, will that not work?

@pHghost Thanks, I'm really surprised by this - but just copying and pasting the installation folder does seem to work. It won't allow me to copy and past anything between projects, but it's still a really useful approach for what I am doing. Thanks