Rollerball

smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

I have been toying around with the idea for years of a rollerball game, from the James Caan 1975 movie.

I have started a test just looking at the maths involved. How long it would take to skate around the inside and the outside ring etc. I have used the maths i could find from inline skates and speed skaters, to keep the speeds up to modern levels, even though i have modeled roller skates like in the film.

Comments

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

So i'm still working out how to render the other characters properly into the 3d stadium. The shadows need to be better. I need to add on-screen controls. I need to do more animations (just to get the basic motions looking correct). The rest of the stadium needs rendering and fitting. I need to work out the best way of doing crowd sounds. I need to work out the ball physics. I need to add motorbikes. Then i can check if i can make it into a game...

Arrow keys are for controls presently. You have to be patient while is loads the files as they are not compressed yet.
    http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/146576

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

Wow! Really nice to see something a bit different! Thanks for posting, love to see some inspiring work in progress!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Looks amazing so far!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Its ben in my head for a while, so i thought i'd post as it progress'. Glad you like it.

I have uploaded the new version. More detail in the arena & I've added a loading page that loads ALL the image files before showing the arena to the player. It stops the stuttering at the beginning.

edited January 2018

So in my new update i have made more realistic shadows and added 133% more motion capture to the player.

I've also added onscreen controls so i could see how it ran on my phone.

Next up i'm going to have to bite the bullet and try and get other objects into the stadium...

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Cant wait to see video of this.

It is really missing sound at the moment so i will have a go at that first.

I have a few questions about sound effects...
    1. How many can be played at once?
    2. Is there a limit to how many can be produced from one actor?

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

I don't think there is a limit on either of those, in my experience.

The one thing you need to beware of is that individual sounds can be playing only once at a given time.

So, for example, if you had a piano sound, with a trailing tone, repeatedly pressing the same key will cut off the sound as it start playing again, with a very ugly effect.

@Toque said:
    Cant wait to see video of this.

You can play it on the arcade to see it in action!

edited January 2018

Excellent news about the sound effects. I'm going to start on a crowd sound maker tonight...

and here is the link again:

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Looking great !

@smurfted said:
    Excellent news about the sound effects.

If you find an issue with this, you can always relegate some sounds to another actor through a game attribute.

Cheers @Socks. I might be asking you some maths questions in the near future :)

@smurfted said:
    Cheers @Socks. I might be asking you some maths questions in the near future :)

Here all the main numbers from 1 to 10.

1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 3, 5, 7, 8 and nine-10.

They should cover most things.

edited January 2018

@pHghost said:

@smurfted said:
    Excellent news about the sound effects.

If you find an issue with this, you can always relegate some sounds to another actor through a game attribute.

+ ongoing ambient/background loops (like crown noise) can be set up as 'music' rather than sound, so it doesn't get loaded into RAM, and is instead streamed through the target device's sound hardware = less strain on the processor, longer (less obviously looping) ambient/background effect.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Played it. Crazy amazing.

edited January 2018

its feels much better with a little sound...

p.s. @socks if i use the music route for the crowd. Am limited to one sample at a time though?

Yeah, only one music track can be playing at a time.

@smurfted said:
    p.s. @socks if i use the music route for the crowd. Am limited to one sample at a time though?

Yep, like pHghost says, one music track at a time . . . . but you could mix your crowd noise into your 1980s synthwave track (mandatory for this game).

First i'm going to make a crowd sound, so it fades from one sample into another to get a random sound going. Then i will try and get them to change their mood...

Last update of the day, but i thought i'd upload it as the crowd sound maker worked out better than i expected.

This test has just one mood (with only 4 samples to start) that play randomly, you can see the little pink box top right (the numbers are which sample & how many seconds till it should play the next sample).

edited January 2018

Roller skate wheel noise is good, nicely synced !

I set triggers on certain animation frames to get the sound only to happen when the wheels hit the ground.

In the html (arcade) version i had to use the crowd actors personal time instead of the games internal timer. Or it didn't register for some reason...

I forgot how far i got with this. I will put some time into this again and see if i can get things moving on the pitch...

so coming back to GS was a littler rougher than i thought it would be...

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@smurfted Hey! Have you been working with another tool? I could see this being built in a few other engines.

I was toying with some other tools. But had to come back to gs for some updates to apps I have in the store. Feel free to pm me with any ideas though.

So coming back to this game I’ve had to work out what the variables were again etc. But I’ve got it now. & I’ve added a radar style map so you can see where you are in the stadium.

Check it out here

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Hmm... this is all I'm seeing:

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

I'm using chrome (which i find the best for gs arcade)..

do the numbers change at the top and it has to load a bunch of images before it starts...

This is what i see after it has counted to 100%