Moving Files

Sorry this is probably a stupid question but I cant really see anything on how to do it properly or at all. I was wondering if there is a way to make an actor in one game and then use that file in another game. Having it transfer all programming and art

Comments

• awesome_wellsawesome_wells Member, PRO Posts: 38

Hi, if you're using the Mac Creator, you can open the two projects together at the same time.

Then you can just drag your actors from one inspector to the next and drag images over from the image library window.

One thing I can't find a way to copy is global attributes. So if your actor references any custom global attributes, I think you'll need to set these up first in the project you're pasting to.

Hope that helps!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited January 2018

Setting them up in the new project first won’t work. The name of the attribute you see is basically just a name tag. The attributes actually have a unique ID. If you make a new attribute in the second project, even with the same name it will have a different ID, so it won’t link. Game arrributes like that need to be reconnected manually. :(

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited January 2018

@pHghost said:
    Setting them up in the new project first won’t work. The name of the attribute you see is basically just a name tag. The attributes actually have a unique ID. If you make a new attribute in the second project, even with the same name it will have a different ID, so it won’t link. Game arrributes like that need to be reliables manually. :(

You can change the ID number for Game attributes in the project's object.xml file.

@Socks said:
    You change the ID number for Game attributes in the project's object.xml file.

Yeah. If you know your way around XMLs (always back up your project just in case), that's an easy way to do it (you'll need to change the ID before pasting).

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited January 2018

@pHghost said:
    Yeah. If you know your way around XMLs (always back up your project just in case), that's an easy way to do it (you'll need to change the ID before pasting).

always back up your project just in case

+1,000,000

P.S I missed the word 'can' out from my post . . . "You change the ID number for Game attributes in the project's object.xml file." . . . sounds a bit like "you fool, don't you know, you simply change the . . . "

Whereas what I meant to say was "You CAN change the ID number . . . " - more suggesting it as a possible approach, rather than "this is the answer . . . "

:)

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

I generally just merge the projects, with the program from deep blue...

@smurfted said:
    I generally just merge the projects, with the program from deep blue...

I usually do that as well, but with more complex projects and newer projects, it isn't always perfect.