GameSalad project won't open?!?!

love4absinthelove4absinthe Member Posts: 1
edited January 2014 in GameSalad 101
I've been working on a project for months and suddenly i can't get my project to open, i've read that you should do this... but i don't know how to "show the package contents" on windows 8, any help you could give me...

1) Right-click on the corrupted .gameproj file and go to 'Show Package Contents'
2) Look at the .gsuser file. You'll need to rename or delete that file (we suggest you just rename it — for example: test.gsuser)
3) Run the project again

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    It bears repeating that if you are working with a single file you should instead be saving multiple versions of it so that you can avoid this sort of issue. Any files on a computer can become corrupt... GameSalad files seem to have a somewhat higher rate than other files but it's just a part of using computers. By the time I've put in months of work on an app, I have hundreds if not thousands of copies of the file, each with an incremented version number (1, 2, 3, ...) so that if anything goes wrong I can just go back a version and continue working. I know that doesn't help you with this project file but it may be helpful in the future.

I don't use Windows Creator so I can't really offer any advice beyond what you posted.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    I've been working on a project for months and suddenly i can't get my project to open . . .
    Sorry if I'm just repeating what tatiang, and sorry if this sounds critical (I'm sure you don't need people criticising you when you've just discovered that months of work might well be toast), but it really does bear repeating . . . .

. . . it's insane to work on a single file for months, I wouldn't even work on a single file for a whole day, if I am working on something even for a few hours I might have generated 10 or 15 files, each one an iteration of the last, with every successful move the file gets incremented.

Like tatiang says, after months of work on a project I normally have hundreds of incremented copies of the project, with the ability to go back to any stage you like - and if the file you are working on goes bad, you can just go back to the last saved version - for me normally an hour ago at the most.

And even if my computer caught fire and exploded then work I've put months of time into is still safe on an external hard drive and if the whole house catches fire and everything is destroyed while I'm out I have copies of my work on a portable hard drive in my bag, and if the whole country sinks into the sea in a devastating tectonic disaster and everything is lost I can still get my work back as it's thrown into DropBox at the end of each day.

These days it's simple to ensure you never lose work, sorry if you don't manage to rescue your file, but like I say it's a little crazy to work like that !
  • 3itg3itg Member, PRO Posts: 382
    When working with GS, be a stickler for Data Safety and Redundancy.
    1 thing that might help in both scenarios, Dropbox.
    Save your Project to Dropbox, and then go download it. This helped me open a previously corrupted file... Dont know why.
    Also, if you save it to your dropbox. you can have local and a web backup.
    also...
    Have you ever clicked "Publish"?
    Pretty sure you can also download a copy from the publishing servers...
  • slowcutslowcut Member, PRO Posts: 164
    if you have published your game already via the GS server, you can download your .gameproj file from your GS portfolio...
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited January 2014

Hi @love4absinthe There's a small chance you tried to open the game file by double-clicking it and it opened a previous version of GameSalad Creator which wouldn't be able to read the file.

So simply open the latest version of GameSalad Creator and open your file via the program.

Just a thought, anyhow, so hopefully that's all it was and you can carry on...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
  • lonzzy007lonzzy007 Member Posts: 7

I think it’s just happened to me

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465
    edited January 2018

@lonzzy007 Sorry to hear that. Happened to me a while back. If the above suggestions don't work might can try what I did. After right clicking your project file, check out (attempt to open) the various .xml files and see if any are corrupted. If so, just remove the corrupted file, make a new blank .xml and name give it the same name as the old corrupted file. Then try to open your project. You'll lose that actor/scene but may retain other work and not have to start completely over.

• lonzzy007lonzzy007 Member Posts: 7

Yep it was lost. Lesson learnt! Save multiple files don’t save every time use save as every time and use .1 .2 .3 and so on.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@lonzzy007 said:
    Yep it was lost. Lesson learnt! Save multiple files don’t save every time use save as every time and use .1 .2 .3 and so on.

You never published your game or tested on device by chance?

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Ionzzy007

@love4absinthe said:
    Post Title: GameSalad project won't open!

That's because GameSalad is focused on closing. :D