Construct 3 vs GameMaker 2

3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

which one and why?

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Thought you were leaving?

• 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

I've already made up my mind, I'm gonna get Construct 2.
    Since Construct 3 is subscription and web-based based, 2 looks more appealing to me.

@Armelline said:

Are you one of the GS team?

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@abuabed84 said:
    Since Construct 3 is subscription and web-based based, 2 looks more appealing to me.

GS = less features , good performance , easy publishing , native games
    C2 = more features , bad performance , hard publishing , html5 wrapped games

Think carefully before buying the engine , GS might be the better choice here.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@abuabed84 said:

@Armelline said:

Are you one of the GS team?

Nope, just wondering why you're posting topics clearly designed to undermine GameSalad when you've already said that you're leaving this software behind.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited January 2018

@Icebox said:

@abuabed84 said:

PS - I think @Icebox means to say (G)ameMaker (S)tudio - I'm guessing there might be some confusion due to the initials, and I have to say, I'm leaning VERY heavily towards GMS2 myself - it also does 3D effects VERY easily, and the GML language is a doddle to pick up...

Given my issues in GS (GameSalad) STILL aren't resolved, I've pretty much made the jump already - knocked up a test game in around 2 hours....

I'm actually pleasantly surprised - even includes a VERY easy to use built-in gfx editor for on-the-fly gfx fixes / enhancements too... There also seems to be a language or drop-in event equivalent for pretty much EVERYTHING that GS offers... ...You're really not missing much leaving GS @abuabed84....

@Japster said:
    PS - I think @Icebox means to say (G)ameMaker (S)tudio

I actually meant GS (Gamesalad) , i thought he was going for construct 2 , so i compared it with Gamesalad . I wouldn't say Game maker has less features, game maker is awesome :D

@Japster said:
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised - even includes a VERY easy to use built-in gfx editor for on-the-fly gfx fixes / enhancements too... There also seems to be a language or drop-in event equivalent for pretty much EVERYTHING that GS offers... ...You're really not missing much leaving GS @abuabed84....

+1

edited January 2018

@Icebox said:

@Japster said:
    PS - I think @Icebox means to say (G)ameMaker (S)tudio

I actually meant GS (Gamesalad) , i thought he was going for construct 2 , so i compared it with Gamesalad . I wouldn't say Game maker has less features, game maker is awesome :D

Ahhh.... @Icebox - You threw me with THIS:-

"GS = less features , good performance , easy publishing , native games"

Didn't you mean:-

GS = less features (and way more bugs), good performance (WHEN IT WORKS), easy publishing (WHEN PUBLISHING IS ACTUALLY WORKING), native games (Agreed - Great, WHEN IT'S ACTUALLY WORTH BUILDING SOMETHING WITHOUT LOSING YOUR USER BASE)...

Sorry, but hey, it's the truth - still waiting for ForumNinja to come back and even confirm that he's even downloaded and is looking into the touch issue project of mine that he asked for (attached to our conversation 3+ days ago)... not a word back yet.... :frowning:

edited January 2018

@Japster said:
    GS = less features (and way more bugs), good performance (WHEN IT WORKS), easy publishing (WHEN PUBLISHING IS ACTUALLY WORKING), native games (Agreed - Great, WHEN IT'S ACTUALLY WORTH BUILDING SOMETHING WITHOUT LOSING YOUR USER BASE)...

Agree but I feel the same with construct so I was advising against it even if it means choosing gamesalad. Your scaring me :#

Sorry, but hey, it's the truth - still waiting for ForumNinja to come back and even confirm that he's even downloaded and is looking into the touch issue project he asked for 3+ days ago... not a word back yet.... :frowning:

I feel your pain... You might end up releasing a high quality game with Game maker by the time Gamesalad confirms your bug. Sad but thats the truth. :D

Nope, just wondering why you're posting topics clearly designed to undermine GameSalad when you've already said that you're leaving this software behind.

They aren't to undermine GS, I'm genuinely asking a question here.
    And yeah I am leaving, that's why I'm asking this sort of question, doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
    So I'd really appreciate it if you took your charity lawyer work somewhere else.
    Thanks

@Icebox
    @Japster

Thank guys for the info.
    I'm still tempted by Construct 2 because I read of how easy the interface is and you buy it instead of it being a subscription.

It has more features than GS?
    I can't even.imagine something I want done that GS cannot do (except maybe multiplayer).

Is Construct good for RPG?
    Is it good with multiplayer Games?

These 2 are going to be my main focus.

Interesting,
    I thought GS was html5 as well

I do want to continue on using GS, but it's not working on the latest Mac version.
    It's unusable..

Honestly I love GS (Mac version), it's very rare that I feel that way about any software, everything is super tidy in GS.

I just wish the GS team would pull their act together fast, so I can keep updating my games, and not have to transfer to another game engine.

I feel as if though the GS team don't really care about their customers all that much.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Calls up Apple Support:

Do you know which android phone is best - I want to make the switch, but having trouble between the Pixel and Samsung S series?

Apple Hangs Up!

@Two.E said:

Calls up Apple Support:

Do you know which android phone is best - I want to make the switch, but having trouble between the Pixel and Samsung S series?

Apple Hangs Up!

Well, I'm not asking GameSalad Devs or fanboys, I'm asking the the game devs here who most likely have experienced other game engines.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited January 2018

@Two.E said:

Calls up Apple Support:

Apple Hangs Up!

Well to be fair in this analogy he'd be asking other customers of Apple rather than Apple themselves . . . and to give it some context . . . .

"Hi fellow iPhone users, for months I've been having multiple ongoing issues with my iPhone (and some longer-term issues that have persisted for - literally - years), these issues range from mild inconveniences that I can work around to issues that actually prevent me from making calls, preview videos on the App Store won't play, my screen is blurry if I put anything in a folder stack more than 3 deep, when using Safari nothing in the bottom half of the screen registers a touch . . . (and numerous other ongoing issues) . . . worryingly, Apple have shown little to no interest in dealing with these problems after repeatedly reaching out to them, their responses often take weeks or even months, never fully resolving an issue, and solutions can often introduce even more problems . . . and just as concerning is the idea that Apple are likely to abandon the model I use in favour of focusing their efforts on these new handheld tablet things for the education market . . . so with all that in mind, and considering I not only rely on my phone for my job/income but am paying a monthly subscription for the pleasure, I am looking to try something else, so am now wondering whether anyone has had experience of alternatives like the Pixel or the Samsung S series ?"

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

It's a great analogy because it can used on both sides!

Apple Support:

We can confirm there is a problem. But we have been working on the iPhone X!
    Its completely different and we think you will love it!
    P.S It also doesn't have Touch ID which I know was a big feature in the previous version, but check out these other features that no body asked for

Customer Hangs Up!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Two.E said:
    It's a great analogy because it can used on both sides!

Apple Support:

We can confirm there is a problem. But we have been working on the iPhone X!
    Its completely different and we think you will love it!
    P.S It also doesn't have Touch ID which I know was a big feature in the previous version, but check out these other features that no body asked for

Customer Hangs Up!

Lol :)

edited January 2018

@abuabed84 said:
    Interesting,
    I thought GS was html5 as well

No GS publishes your games to native code that fits the platform , so iOS games are written with code that is meant for iphone/ipad , same goes for every other platform , except tizen , which is actually an html5 game wrapped and converted so that it works on tizen. If you notice you will have many performance issues with that + all the bugs that can be introduced by the process of converting it. You will experience the same thing but with all the platforms you publish to using Construct. In fact they will give you silly workarounds to improve the performance. Even though newer devices can handle html5 wrapped games a little better than before , you still have many users that use old devices.

You will also run into the same problems with bugs taking too long to be adressed/fixed if ever fixed. So you are literally moving into another GS.

It has more features than GS?
    I can't even.imagine something I want done that GS cannot do (except maybe multiplayer).

I think you can apply slow motion in construct 2 , you can add shaders to your game , imagine water effects to the screen , or blurring effect or lighting that adds more depth to your games.zoom , snap to grid , you can have universal ui layers that you build once and choose to have them on your scene or not , without having to drag them each time to your next scene. You can zoom in and out while locking layers not to be affected in game . It supports usable functions just like any coding language. It can be easier to use in more cases and much quicker.

The problem comes when you actually finish your game , and your ready to publish. You will have a look at their methods of publishing. They will give you a guide to download third party applications that will take your html5 game , and then wrap it up and convert it into the targeted platform your targetting. The process to convert it might include coding + a lot of hell it will take you ages , customers used to cry in the forums asking them to make it easier , which is what they did with construct 3. The third party applications can introduce bugs to your game while converting make it even more difficult to handle. For example , some audio files might not run , some images might disappear , you never know. Each third party application you use might shut down at any moment as they are not officially associated with construct 3 and completely independent. So complaining your issues to their customer support will not give you any benefit. They might just tell you that you were aware that our games are html5 based. They also depend on plug ins made by users to support mobile ads , and you will not have full control of everything , since anything can break at any given time and you wont be able to do anything about it.

If your targetting windows or mac, the performance issues might not be an issue , because these platforms can handle html5 wrapped games pretty well , but you will have issues on mobile devices. The other problem is you want to buy C2 when C3 is out based on the fact that it is a one time buy , which is fine , but they completely dropped support for C2. Any issues you have with the engine will not be adressed . They made it quiet clear that they are putting their resources on C3 and will not work on C2 anymore.

Is Construct good for RPG?
    Is it good with multiplayer Games?

These 2 are going to be my main focus.

I suggest that you do a little research before picking the right engine , but if you want to upgrade from GS by choosing the easiest engine then Game maker would be your next best choice , it is a little harder than GS , but comparing it with other engines it will be the easiest. It provides all the features your looking for + the power. Consider Unity as it is a free option with a lot of power.

You can always wait for GS to fix these issues , I think they will but it might take a while.

@Socks said:
    these issues range from mild inconveniences that I can work around to issues that actually prevent me from making calls, preview videos on the App Store won't play, my screen is blurry if I put anything in a folder stack more than 3 deep, when using Safari nothing in the bottom half of the screen registers a touch . . . (and numerous other ongoing issues) .

lol :D You mentioned most of the issues that was funny.

I suggest that you do a little research before picking the right engine , but if you wanted to upgrade from GS by choosing the easiest engine then Game maker would be your next best choice , it is a little harder than GS , but comparing it with other engines it will be the easiest. It provides all the features your looking for + the power. Consider Unity as it is a free option with a lot of power.

You can always wait for GS to fix these issues , I think they will but it might take a while.

Thanks a lot for the heads up.
    Well, I've made a "menu rpg"" that took me about 8 months to develop.
    I want to use it as a template for future games.
    That's the main reason I want to continue on using GameSalad.

But the problem is I want to make a similar game in the future but with multiplayer support.
    I'm not sure how GS is in terms of Multiplayer (turn based not real time).

Mainly my multiplayer game will have chat and different players changing certain "shared" tables saved through cloud or on the host's phone..
    it will not have any real time component in it.

I'm currently studying SQL to figure out how this whole thing works.

edited January 2018

Looking at other alternatives, I came across this other failed 'transition' of GS's from before my time - Glad I missed THAT controversy on yet another seemingly random whim affecting users, and glad it didn't come to 'fruition' for want of a better term.... jeez....

http://toucharcade.com/2010/10/18/gamesalad/

(More worrying is the later section explaining what would have happened from a functionality viewpoint) :frowning:

• pandafashion80@gmail.compandafashion80@gmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 12

@abuabed84 said:
    which one and why?

Try both. I did and yesterday I canceled my Gamesalad subscription. My choice is Construct 3, I was surprised how well it works - https://editor.construct.net/. There are updates every few days. Gamesalad is a joke in the current state.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@pandafashion80@gmail.com

Forum Rules don't allow competitor links.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@colander The Care Bears will never stop caring :heart:

Thanks guys,
    Yes I'm definitely moving to another engine until GS team get organized again, so I can update my current apps.

Depends on how well I like Construct 3

• DaddyMagicDaddyMagic Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2018

It's been comical watching the complete downfall of GS, I'm not sure anyone could do a better job at completely destroying a company and what could have been a great game engine. I've been having a great time learning Unity's 2D game engine features and GameMaker Studio 2 to rebuild my games. The amount of features is above and beyond what GS was ever capable of. The difficulty in learning a more complex game engine has been worth it, see you guys over there!

@DaddyMagic said:
    It's been comical watching the complete downfall of GS, I'm not sure anyone could do a better job at completely destroying a company and what could have been a great game engine. I've been having a great time learning Unity's 2D game engine features and GameMaker Studio 2 to rebuild my games. The amount of features is above and beyond what GS was ever capable of. The difficulty in learning a more complex game engine has been worth it, see you guys over there!

For me, it's more depressing than comical... :frowning: Soooo much time and effort invested in my games, and frustrating beyond belief knowing that it's gotten worse and worse, more and more broken, over the last 3-4 months now...

But yes, looking at GMS2 at the moment, having had my hand forced (and still no response after SIX days, from GS, regarding the project I sent them at their request...)

So yeah, I agree - no-one, and I mean NO-ONE, could possibly have done a WORSE job of killing off their own money-maker and p***ing off their wage-paying customers...

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

I guess i'm going to have to get out one of my final "wows"